This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mounted Corn Pickers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 7:04pm
Dad did custom work when ever he could. Don't know how he had the time with a dairy and crops. One fall we had a piece of corn to pick for a neighbor. Used the WD45 pulling the new idea single row pull behind with a gravity box hooked to it. Our ground in the township is very wet. He would get half a row picked and would be stuck. I was maybe 12? He hooked the other WD45 to the front with a chain, put me on it and said don't stop till we get to solid ground. We spun our way through that field of corn and mud row after row. Dad thought it was work. I loved it! We did a fair job of getting most of it picked and not wallowed down. Year was 1964 ish. Just the memories are left.
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 28 Mar 2020 at 7:53pm
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Sponsored Links

JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2021 at 11:34pm
Was watching different vids and ran across Wingnut's video...
and seen towards the end a corn crib that is something like what I dreamed about building back when we were picking corn.  This crib really is neat.

Combining season around the corner... and be here before we know it.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
Tom59 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2021 at 8:54am
Found this post yesterday and finish reading all of it this morning, really enjoy the stories. I started raising some corn in 1999 and put out about 6 acres that year. Planted it with a borrowed AC 4 row planter in April that spring,. I started a crop with no equipment to harvest it with, so on Memorial Day weekend I went to an estate auction and brought a Little Giant elevator for $600. I was about thirty miles from home and I haul it home on my 20 foot flatbed trailer. I had neighbor that had an New Idea 309 one row snapper picker sitting in a shed he wanted to get rid of. I brought it for $1100 and traded out the payment for the picker round baling hay for him that summer. Found a old gravity box that I put on a JD 953 running gear I had and borrow another wagon when I started picking that fall. I pull the New Idea picker and wagon with a MF 275 tractor. I put all that ear corn crop in a old corn crib on the farm and grind it that winter to feed to weaned calves off my own cows. Used a New Holland 355 grinder mixer for grinding the ear corn. I raise corn and fed to calves for about fifteen years till I sold my cows in summer of 2015 when took a full time job and quit farming full time. Still got all my equipment and still couple loads of ear corn for one of my neighbor for wildlife feed.

Edited by Tom59 - 29 Aug 2021 at 8:40pm
1963D17 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1963D17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2021 at 11:40am
What also made IH pickers popular was they used stripper plates rather than snapping rolls. Less shelling. Around here most of the mounted pickers were IH and the pull type New Ideas due to their clean picking. Later on quite few John Deere 300's showed up in the area. 
One of the things that led to a few picker fires beside trash on the manifold was the sediment bowl. When installing the picker you were also supposed to replace the glass bowl with a metal one. Even in the 1990's I was selling a few metal bowls yet. I bought a very nice Allis 35 pull type last year and hope this fall to try it out. All the husking pins are gone so it will be a dirty pick but still fun.
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2021 at 6:26pm
Well, not a picker, but here’s my E. My tenant had been making noises about retiring and I saw it advertised in the OAN. I went back and forth on it and bright and early on a Saturday morning drove from the east side of Des Moines to Gilman IL. One of those “easier to ask for forgiveness than permission” things
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2021 at 6:44pm
Why were the glass bowls a liability on mounted pickers?
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2021 at 7:30pm
I still pick about 15 acres of corn each year. Got a 33 mounted on wd45. Not a bad picker but it is hard to get the tractor to go slow enough in heavy corn. Grew up with a 234 ih on a 450. That rig was something else. I think that picker may have been the most reliable implement international ever made. I milk guernseys so I think the cob helps with rumen health and improved butterfat
TramwayGuy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TramwayGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2021 at 7:45pm
“ Why were the glass bowls a liability on mounted pickers?”

If they cracked and caught fire, you would have a true inferno before long.
1963D17 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1963D17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2021 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by plummerscarin plummerscarin wrote:

Why were the glass bowls a liability on mounted pickers?
They could crack with the added heat. If you go to a threshing be and see a tractor with a metal bowl, it was a corn picker tractor. I did have a customer who's 706 burned under a picker from stupidity. The 706 Farmalls used a short battery under the fuel tank. The taller 806 battery was cheaper but the terminals would hit the tank. He bought a taller battery and wedged a piece of lumber between the battery and the tank. The board fell out at one point and the battery welded itself to the tank. It turned out to be an expensive battery.
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2021 at 10:41pm
Thanks. May explain the metal bowl on my Super M.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2021 at 7:25am
A buddy of mine's Dad ordered a 1066 with NFE and mounted a 234 on it with sheller. Now that would be a corn-picker! He still has the 10, picker replaced with combine long ago.
Tom59 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2021 at 6:19am
Have a neighbor in the late seventies and early eighties that raise a lot of ear corn had both an Allis Chalmers WD45 gasoline tractor with a New Idea 2 row mounted picker and also an New Idea one row 309 picker. I think his father-in-law ran the ran the WD45 with the mounted picker.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic