This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Simmell Rollers on H-3

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Simmell Rollers on H-3
    Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 9:55am
Guys: Do any of you have Simmell rollers on your H-3's?  I picked up a machine with a new U/C on it and most of the original rollers have been replaced with Simmell rollers.  

I know they were made in Italy, but why in the heck would they design these rollers so that they could not be greased or oiled?  

Lifetime greased roller - not buying that. 

Would like to modify so that they can be greased, maybe I need to pull one and start the machining process.  

Thoughts and comments appreciated.  

Thank-you ....Orangeman
Sponsored Links

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 10:41am
You will find most rollers are classified as lifetime , they use sealed shafts and bushings instead of bearings like older style. As long as nothing enters the bearing area they are fully lubed for life. If they leak they fail . 
 Guess it's the same with the SALT track pins where they are lubed and sealed. 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 4:07am
Seems a lot of track gear is coming from Italy, and cutting edges etc.

The ones I've met are oil lubed, with a sealing screw in the outer end of the shaft.  You need an adapter and a big oil pump.  I'm using the track lube pump from an old IH.
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 4:11am
Orangeman,

I missed the bit about machining!

FYI I've spent a wet day turning a piece of a roller shaft from a FA 10 into a replacement gear for my lathe (1935 vintage) so I can rehab the steering shaft for an Allis Forty Five.

Does this pass as recycling?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 10:41am
The shaft that drives the clutch hub on my Adams 411 grader had worn the splines off, I spent several hours welding the splines back on then grinding my welds back to bring the shaft back to working condition. 
 Took a lot of weld and grind to get it to fit and work right but end result the grader moves and works . well did , now parked again for last 10 years as no jobs for grader. 

Edited by Coke-in-MN - 23 Jan 2012 at 10:46am
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 3:16pm
Ian and Coke: Good to know that all of the good old Allis and Fiat Allis steel is being adapted, machined and repurposed.  We have too much build it up then tear it down in the U.S. 

I inherited a 1944 WWII machinist lathe and will be putting it to good use to keep the Allis Machinery up, working and on the move!

Have a Great Day!   Orangeman
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 6:03pm
My access to a lathe and mill and other such tools made owning them not a top priority for years as the shop I worked in or had access to had most tools.
 When I closed down the company after 40 years there I ended up buying most of the equipment and put in my shop. 
 I did have a Nichimori lathe I had bought (gap bed/17" swing -6' between centers) but now I have the 9" South Bend, 2 Bridgports , power tapping heads, drill press, Miller 304 welder- MIG-TIG (water cooled torch) SMAW , as well as band saw , Wells power band saw- hacksaw, 60 to hydraulic press and other such items. ( I should have bought the 14" Clausing Clouchester lathe also sold for $450 but i have all the Alloris quick change toolpost and such for it now on my Nichimorio)   
 So with 3 welders now and 3 sets of torches, and my own toolbox , when i left they told me to take my company tool box and put it in the truck also.

orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 8:02pm
Coke: You're way ahead of me on the shop tools, but I do want to put in a Bridgeport Mill, ( would like to know your recommendations on any brand names that are good quality bridgeport mills).  
The lathe I have is a Sheldon, very nice shape but missing its toolpost.  Believe I will be looking into an Aloris.  

Do you happen to know anything about Wilson Portable Welders, I found a WW II military surplus mounted on a tow behind trailer powered by a Chrysler flathead.  Man that thing is built like a tank.  The only reference I can find is Wilson Welding products in New York City - they made a Wasp and Hornet Tow behind or portable welders.  Am considering adding it to the machinery arsenal.  

Any thoughts appreciated.  Orangeman 
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 3:24pm
There are better machines for the quality and money than Bridgeport. The new vertical mills that are similar style, I would buy a Lagun, heavier better and wider ways than a Bridgeport. the Aloris tool holder is the best. You won't regret that decision. Bridgeports used to be way ahead on quality, but they aren't any longer. HTH Tracy Martin
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 3:35pm
I got the Bridgeports as the price was right , the one i bought from the shop I worked at I originally bought from another company from their special tools room when they upgraded . I paid $450 for the unit when i brought it home. The 9" South Bend  came out of our special research area and had little use or any wear, gave $300 for that with tooling, collets , 3 chucks, milling attachment and face plate. 
 Somewhere out back I have the stand for a Jet mill , we used the base and table and servo motors to mount a laser welder jig to for welding sieve screens and other such items. 

The old DC welding units still have their place but when a problem comes up you might be looking forever for repair parts. New inverter unit for shop use fill more niches in what one works on.  I use a small generator and my Pow-Con 250 inverter unit to do field welding.

Edited by Coke-in-MN - 24 Jan 2012 at 3:38pm
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 7:11pm
Tracy and Coke:  Thank you for the insights.  Appreciate it!  Orangeman

Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 2:56pm
Coke,

You're well ahead of my shop!  The lathe now has back gears that work - mostly done with a 4" angle grinder and thin cut-off wheels set up to use the carriage feeds and finished by scraping.  Slow though.

This was a test run for the steering shaft spline, where I'll trial a carbide faced rotary hacksaw to start the splines and then finish by scraping.

Ever used Castolin Eutectic 185 work hardening braze?  Seems useful for jobs like this, though I'll probably use stainless for the shaft.
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 4:14am
Coke,

And the steering shaft is done.  Built a fixed steady that put the spline parallel to the lathe bed, marked the splines by scraping and finished with angle grinder and bearing blue.  It will probably work a bit but if we keep tightening the nut should work good enough for this job.
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 7:53am
Tracy:  Are the older Bridgeports as stout as the Lagun machine.  Also, are the Lagun mills produced here in the States.  Thanks for any info...Orangeman
blrott View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blrott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 9:49am
need advice on how to pull final drive shafts. both final drives leak. can i get them loose by removing rear cover plate after dropping tracks and sprockets. are the held by a castle nut? never been in the rear end of a dozer before. any advice would be great. thanks. bruce. 920-642-0277.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic