This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Drilling Straight/Plumb Holes ....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Drilling Straight/Plumb Holes ....
    Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 6:15pm
in concrete?? I had to mount 4 "plates" of steel with 4 holes/plate onto a concrete slab to install sleeve anchors. I thought I did a decent job of "sighting" the angle of attack, but after driving the anchors in, what a mess Confused. Is there an efficient way to keep the hammer drill "true" ?? Thanks
Sponsored Links

shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 6:43pm
i always set the anchor bolts in the wet cement when poured with a piece of plywood to hold the bolt straight. i've never had to drill any holes in concrete yet.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 7:00pm
A person used to be able to get an attachment for the front of the drill that kept the drill plumb while sliding forward to drill the hole.  I don't know if they are still available but you could try google.  I don't know what you would search for though.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 7:25pm
Seems like years ago Black and Decker had a drill that had a bubble level incorporated into the handle ??
GARY(OH/IN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GARY(OH/IN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 8:58pm
I used to have a good eye for keeping the drill on a 90 degree angle with the floor. These days I can't even drill straight in a pine board.
FloydKS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FloydKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 9:04pm
I have not tried it but I have one of those little levels that hangs on a string... maybe mounted to the top of the drill???
Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die
Grayray View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grayray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 9:04pm
Try using a block of wood like a piece of 2x4 or maybe a little thicker.  Drill the size hole you need in the 2x4 at drill press to be sure the hole is square and true to the board.  Then set this board on the concrete you want to drill and use it as a guide to keep the drill straight.
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 9:07pm
I use the longest bit I can and hold an older bubble level against the side of the bit . Usually if you can start them plumb they stay plumb , until the bit hits the side of a hard rock and send it off caddy wampus
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 10:10pm
My older drill has an attachment to keep it square. I got it at our
Local Ace hardware store years ago. Hope you can find 1.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 10:37pm
You're probably doing alright the way you are, the problem is (as Pat the Plumber) says, when you hit a rock in the concrete, it sends the bit wherever it wants to go.  NOTHING can do you any good.  I laid mud for years and if you don't put them in when you pour, it's a pain.
The way I do it is to drill ONE hole, insert the anchor and bolt it in place.  Now, using the plate as a guide, drill the second hole and insert anchor and bolt that one in place.  Now move to number 3 and then 4 doing the same thing.  It's the only way I know and the only one that I've ever seen work.  Good luck!
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 10:44pm
Ted has it....
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 6:28am
Originally posted by Pat the Plumber CIL Pat the Plumber CIL wrote:

I use the longest bit I can and hold an older bubble level against the side of the bit . Usually if you can start them plumb they stay plumb , until the bit hits the side of a hard rock and send it off caddy wampus

And here I thought I was the only who does that
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 7:18am
yeah TedJ is right agin.... !!!
as for ...
Seems like years ago Black and Decker had a drill that had a bubble level incorporated into the handle ??

just HOW can you SEE the bubble after you pull the trigger ??? espeically with a hammer drill !!!LOL
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 10:41am
X3 on Ted's method. Have installed many many at work that way. I hesitate to throw out a number but know on some of the guard rails we have put in took over 50 3/4" anchors. You get tired of drilling holes at that rate.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic