Drilling Straight/Plumb Holes ....

Printed From: Unofficial Allis
Category: Other Topics
Forum Name: Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
Forum Description: anything you want to talk about except politics
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=170579
Printed Date: 21 May 2024 at 12:34pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Drilling Straight/Plumb Holes ....
Posted By: FREEDGUY
Subject: Drilling Straight/Plumb Holes ....
Date Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 6:15pm
in concrete?? I had to mount 4 "plates" of steel with 4 holes/plate onto a concrete slab to install sleeve anchors. I thought I did a decent job of "sighting" the angle of attack, but after driving the anchors in, what a mess Confused. Is there an efficient way to keep the hammer drill "true" ?? Thanks

Replies:
Posted By: shameless dude
Date Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 6:43pm
i always set the anchor bolts in the wet cement when poured with a piece of plywood to hold the bolt straight. i've never had to drill any holes in concrete yet.

Posted By: john(MI)
Date Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 7:00pm
A person used to be able to get an attachment for the front of the drill that kept the drill plumb while sliding forward to drill the hole.  I don't know if they are still available but you could try google.  I don't know what you would search for though.

-------------
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446

Posted By: FREEDGUY
Date Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 7:25pm
Seems like years ago Black and Decker had a drill that had a bubble level incorporated into the handle ??

Posted By: GARY(OH/IN)
Date Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 8:58pm
I used to have a good eye for keeping the drill on a 90 degree angle with the floor. These days I can't even drill straight in a pine board.

Posted By: FloydKS
Date Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 9:04pm
I have not tried it but I have one of those little levels that hangs on a string... maybe mounted to the top of the drill???

-------------
Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die

Posted By: Grayray
Date Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 9:04pm
Try using a block of wood like a piece of 2x4 or maybe a little thicker.  Drill the size hole you need in the 2x4 at drill press to be sure the hole is square and true to the board.  Then set this board on the concrete you want to drill and use it as a guide to keep the drill straight.

Posted By: Pat the Plumber CIL
Date Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 9:07pm
I use the longest bit I can and hold an older bubble level against the side of the bit . Usually if you can start them plumb they stay plumb , until the bit hits the side of a hard rock and send it off caddy wampus

-------------
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.

Posted By: HD6GTOM
Date Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 10:10pm
My older drill has an attachment to keep it square. I got it at our
Local Ace hardware store years ago. Hope you can find 1.

Posted By: Ted J
Date Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 10:37pm
You're probably doing alright the way you are, the problem is (as Pat the Plumber) says, when you hit a rock in the concrete, it sends the bit wherever it wants to go.  NOTHING can do you any good.  I laid mud for years and if you don't put them in when you pour, it's a pain.
The way I do it is to drill ONE hole, insert the anchor and bolt it in place.  Now, using the plate as a guide, drill the second hole and insert anchor and bolt that one in place.  Now move to number 3 and then 4 doing the same thing.  It's the only way I know and the only one that I've ever seen work.  Good luck!

-------------
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17

Posted By: SteveM C/IL
Date Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 10:44pm
Ted has it....

Posted By: plummerscarin
Date Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 6:28am
Originally posted by Pat the Plumber CIL Pat the Plumber CIL wrote:

I use the longest bit I can and hold an older bubble level against the side of the bit . Usually if you can start them plumb they stay plumb , until the bit hits the side of a hard rock and send it off caddy wampus

And here I thought I was the only who does that

Posted By: jaybmiller
Date Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 7:18am
yeah TedJ is right agin.... !!!
as for ...
Seems like years ago Black and Decker had a drill that had a bubble level incorporated into the handle ??

just HOW can you SEE the bubble after you pull the trigger ??? espeically with a hammer drill !!!LOL

-------------
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water

Posted By: IBWD MIke
Date Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 10:41am
X3 on Ted's method. Have installed many many at work that way. I hesitate to throw out a number but know on some of the guard rails we have put in took over 50 3/4" anchors. You get tired of drilling holes at that rate.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net