This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Does fuel stabilizer in ethanol gas prevent damage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does fuel stabilizer in ethanol gas prevent damage
    Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 7:20am
[TUBE]UvS_D4_lF5U[/TUBE]
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Sponsored Links

Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 7:45am
Ethanol damage.

Yal might look at some antique gas pumps. In the 1950's every gas station had one gas pump with ETHEL in large letters across the pomp. Guess what the ethel stood for? It was ethanol and many paid the extra now and then to clean out the carburetor as advertised on bill boards. It was called high test and some paid the extra all the time. Until ethanol was mandated in some lower octane gas you didn't hear about damage to fuel systems.   

Any damage would have to be some other additive other than ethanol that was mandated by EPA that was thought would be good for the environment.

Joe(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 8:03am
I hate to argue with you Dick, but Ethyl gas contains no ethanol. 

Life is simpler when you plow around the stump.
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 10:03am
I wasn't there in the 1950's to say what was good or bad but today ethanol gasoline sucks arse.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
200 10and20 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200 10and20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 10:13am
Originally posted by Joe(OH) Joe(OH) wrote:

I hate to argue with you Dick, but Ethyl gas contains no ethanol. 

X2 Modern Ethanol was not developed until the 1970s.
LB0442 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LB0442 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 12:29pm
Ethanol/alcohol mixing has been around a while.

200 10and20 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200 10and20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 12:33pm
Yes read my reply. MODERN ETHANOL the old stuff was more like moonshine I bet you could have probably drank it!! LOL It was used a lot back in the 20s and 30s then again during WW II. It wasn't till the 1970s that the environmental looneys got into it that we came up with what we are stuck with today.

Edited by 200 10and20 - 26 Feb 2020 at 12:49pm
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 1:17pm
I'm wit ya Lonn!!  Ethanol is crap!!  Has no life expectancy, separates and makes muck in the fuel system as well as totally messing up Carburetors in such a short period of time!  Also plays havoc with air cooled engines valve trains. Ugh!!
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 2:46pm
I'm burning E85.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 4:24pm
Funny guys, I started blending this stuff clear back in 1977 and have used it in everything gas powered I have owned every since. That includes tractors lawnmowers, chain saws, cars trucks, tillers, etc. My chain saws usually set for 6 months, law mowers set from 0ct the April. I have never had a problem with it in all those years. Never had a carb off anything except dad's WD 45 after it sat for 10 years outside with a can over the muffler. It works for me. I will continue to use it, I actually I insist on buying it at the stations. And I no longer plant corn .
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 5:58pm
If ethanol was so good the gov't wouldn't have to force companies to add it to gas.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 5:59pm
A lot of these empirical stories should be taken with a grain of salt, mixes vary from location to location, due to the wide variety of CAFE standards, across the country.

That being said, I use wal-mart camping fuel, in ALL of my small, infrequently used engines.  Always start, and never had carb problems.  I look at it this way: Is it cheaper to put a new carb on, or use $8-13/gallon fuel?Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
AllisFreak MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisFreak MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 6:21pm
I'm torn on the ethanol thing. It never causes problems in my old tractors or cars at all. It does not , however, seem to keep well in my snowmobiles or walk behind snow blower. It seems like things that are stored in winter come through just fine, and things that are stored in the summer heat don't fare so well.
I am old enough to remember that the old style gas had its share of problems too though in the snowmobiles.Confused
'49 A-C WD, '51 A-C WD, '63 A-C D17 Series III, 1968 A-C One-Seventy, '82 A-C 6060, '75 A-C 7040, A-C #3 sickle mower, 2 A-C 701 wagons, '78 Gleaner M2
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 6:26pm
Back in about 82, worked for a tubular testing company in WY where we tested the final production string internally with straight methanol while it was run in the hole for gas/condensate producing wells.
Friday night when we returned from a job, picked up my check but banks were closed and the ol' 64 Galaxie 500XL tank was almost empty. 
Well, we had a very large methanol tank for testing trucks so put about 10-12 gallons in the girl that had a 30/10 rebuild on the 352 when I bought it about a year earlier.
Made it home and was out running errands the next day, had not filled it with fuel as yet and she ran like a striped ass monkey. Topped her off with regular but it was too late and lucky NAPA was open late as Sunday job was replacing both head gaskets, lucky I didn't burn a hole in a piston, or all of em'.
Sure cleaned the ol' gal out as she was clean as a whistle, drove her another 2-3 years without any issues.
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 6:57pm
Quite a range of experiences on this topic for sure. I’m up here in Canada. All of our regular is 10% ethanol. I run it in everything. Lawn mowers (ride on and push mowers), chain saws-old pioneers which you guys probably don’t have and my WD45.  Never had any problems with any of it and I’m talking 20 years plus now. My stuff gets used a fair bit and I think that helps. So same as Tom’s experience. What I have found over the years is heat ruins gas fast. If your stuff is in a little outdoor shed and door is closed the temp in there may be 120 degrees. You will have a problem quickly with any gas in that scenario. I am lucky to have a big insulated shop so pretty constant temp all year.  😀
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 7:23pm
I bought a 1989 F250 brand new... YEP, over 30 years ago... ILLINOIS has had 10% Ethanol in the gas prior to that... My 1989 ran 250K miles on it.. Never an injector or other problems... Bought a 2001 F150-- same thing,, 250K miles... Bought a 2002 Explorer.. 200K miles... NO injector problems........ I have used 10% in the lawn mower, chain saw, post hold digger, go cart , everything i own.. Let them set 3-4 months for the winter and no problems....... Either there is something ELSE causing the problems you have, or the MIX is different in some states. ............. humidity ??
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 7:29am
Well, once we figure this out for sure, please tell me what motor oil to use in my D17!LOL
1955CA View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1955CA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 7:42am
We are lucky up here in northern Ontario so far.  Family owns a truck stop/gas station and we sell Petro Canada products. There is no ethanol in their gas yet.
If you buy Husky or Esso, they have it because they truck most of their product up from southern Ontario which is ALL ethanol.

But what our suppliers are telling us is that may change in the future, but not yet.

They are also talking about eliminating regular and premium and going to just a single grade of gasoline. But no real set date on that.

I run anything in my auto's though I found when I travel and have to use Husky ethanol I don't get as good of fuel mileage.
But for my tractors, atv's and small engines, I use only premium gas and I add either Startron or Marine Stabil. Just for piece of mind. Because the oil and gas industry is just like the gov.....I don't trust either one of them, LOL.

Edited by 1955CA - 27 Feb 2020 at 7:44am
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 8:24am
Originally posted by AllisFreak MN AllisFreak MN wrote:

I'm torn on the ethanol thing. It never causes problems in my old tractors or cars at all. It does not , however, seem to keep well in my snowmobiles or walk behind snow blower. It seems like things that are stored in winter come through just fine, and things that are stored in the summer heat don't fare so well.
I am old enough to remember that the old style gas had its share of problems too though in the snowmobiles.Confused
Snowmobiles! They were no good when times were good...... I never got into the sport but had many friends who did and way back in the 80's if you had an old carbureted machine it was constant adjustments whenever the temperature changed even a little. Fuel injected was a pleasure comparatively. Glad I stuck to dirt bikes cause I never even had a carb off of one and they always ran...... cept the worn out Susuki RM80, it was fast but well used. The Yamaha Enduro 100 and 250 were good bikes and worked great for rounding up the cattle when they got out. The RM80 could easily beat the Enduros off the line and in any short run.
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 8:27am
Originally posted by Gary Burnett Gary Burnett wrote:

If ethanol was so good the gov't wouldn't have to force companies to add it to gas.
And why doesn't the government require biofuels in military and government equipment nor hospital generator sets? Because it sucks arse.
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 8:31am
Until 5-6 yrs ago,I had option to by non alky for farm tank. Supplier told me refinery started blending everything at the rack and could no longer get straight gas. Only problem I really had was 16hp Briggs Simplicity wouldn't start/run worth crap after winter pause. Needed new plug to get it going. Was it the gas or junk plugs of today?
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 8:32am
My little C I bought some years back that had sat a long time so that it was stuck when I bought it. I broke it loose and it ran good. The tank was shiny inside but a few years later the tank is rusty inside and in the few years a ran it I've had the carb off to clean that grey crap out several times. Never saw that grey crap until ethanol. Before that a tractor had to sit for a very long time with old gas in it to get varnished up. I'd rather have that varnish than that grey crap that turns to dust when it dries. In a few months you'll get that grey crap with ethanol but it actually takes years for regular gas to varnish up. Couple the ethanol with crappy chinese carb kits and you sell a lot more diesel tractors........ and then there is biodiesel....... uggg!

Edited by Lonn - 27 Feb 2020 at 8:34am
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 8:48am
I don't seem to have a problem with any of my vehicles with the fuel round' here. It just seems to effect the air cooled engines. I read an article quite a few years back about how Ethanol makes the valves stick in air cooled engines. My Honda HT rider twin was hitting on one cylinder. I threw some sea foam in it to see if it would do anything, and within 20 minutes, it was running like a clock again. I tried the Ethanol free 50-1 fuel in the cans just to see if there was a difference. Within a couple tank fulls on the chain saws and the weed wacker, the engines came to life and really ripped. Throttle response was back again, and they operated like when I first purchased them. I don't know. I figured for as much as I use the weed wacker and chain saw in the summer, I'll just use the canned fuel....
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 9:12am
I'm very fortunate to live within 15 miles (farm is only about 6 miles) from a tiny little airstrip, "Frankfort-Highland Airport," and I mean TINY. BUT -- I can buy leaded fuel, I'm not now recalling the octane rating or the price. I THINK (pretty sure) around 100 octane, and about exactly (within 2 or 3 cents) the same price as the "Premium Non-Ethanol 91 Octane" gas anywhere else. I don't always go there, being as tiny as it is and pretty out in the middle of nowhere, it's just as easy to go to the local non-ethanol pump about 8 miles away lol.

As for ethanol-gas -- FOR ME, it's only small engines/2-cycle that get messed up and generally only the carbs/diaphragms. But not all, many operator manuals for that stuff state they're made to handle up to 15% ethanol.
I need more than 200 characters for my "signature." I'd love to see that changed to 250!
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 2:16pm
Must be a state additive regulation thing. All stations where I buy gas only sells 10% ethanol unless they carry the E85 which is higher. I have not had problems with gas and I don't drain gas tanks over the winter. If it has been over a year or two since I have started one of the tractors I do have to clean the carburetor some times. I don't blame it on the ethanol that is blended in though. I blame it on state and federal government refining regulations imposed on the refiners. Some of those have been lifted. It will something I will watch to see if it makes a difference other than lowering the cost of refining.   
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic