This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pictures of my AC project

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OrangePowerGA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pictures of my AC project
    Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 5:47pm
I snapped some pictures this past weekend.  I think they turned out very good for a cell phone camera.  I didn't have any time to fool with it because I spent most of the afternoon servicing the Ford 4000. 

All comments are welcome as is advice. Most of you would probably consider this an easy project.  I hope to be able to pickup some parts next week at GOTO.  A carb rebuild kit will pretty much be a must and whatever else I think will be easy to haul back home.

My plans are to get it running good again.  Not sure if I want to go to great lengths to bring it to "new" condition.  Would love to hear it run again; my grandfather and I spent many hours working and just fooling around with it.

Sponsored Links

Gary in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 6:08pm
You may want a set of spark plugs, and a set of points and condenser for the mag, and a valve cover gasket, so you can adjust the valves, and check the soft plugs for rust while you have the valve cover off.
I have no idea how old the plugsand points may be, these are just some things to ponder...
OrangePowerGA View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OrangePowerGA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 6:36pm
Can anyone tell me based on the pictures if this is a WD45 engine?  This tractor was purchased as being a 45 about 30 years ago.  However, the shifter is straight and it does not have a SC hitch.  Of course over the years many parts can be swapped including engines.  I'd just like to know in case I end up needing a rebuild kit. I have the serial numbers arond here somewhere.

Thanks.
Brian G. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 6:46pm
Since it has the side cover bolted to the block and a magneto, it is almost certainly an early WD engine. The Zenith carburetor is another indication that it is an early WD engine.
gary ny View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gary ny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 6:46pm
It hard to tell from the picture but if it doesn t have a large plate on the mag side then it will be a 45 block.It should also have a 45 in the serial number located on the carb side of the block.It looks like a nice straight tractor to work on ,The tin looks great from what I can see.Just have fun bringing it back to life and don t be afraid to ask any questions    
Gary in da UP View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary in da UP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 6:49pm
Yes, it looks like a WD45 block.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OrangePowerGA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by gary ny gary ny wrote:

It hard to tell from the picture but if it doesn t have a large plate on the mag side then it will be a 45 block.It should also have a 45 in the serial number located on the carb side of the block.It looks like a nice straight tractor to work on ,The tin looks great from what I can see.Just have fun bringing it back to life and don t be afraid to ask any questions    
Can you explain the plate? 

Anyone have a picture I can see for comparison?

Thanks guys
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 7:19pm
It is definitely a 201 WD block. The second picture clearly shows the bolt heads that hold the push rod cover on. OPGA, look at the right side of the block. From the oil filter to the oil fill cap there is a flat metal plate bolted to the side of the block. The oil filter housing bolts to that plate. A 226 WD45 block will not have that plate. It will be solid cast on the whole right side.
 Soak the cylinders with some PB blaster or Kroil while you are collecting parts. Put in points and condenser, plugs and maybe some new solid core plug wires along with your carb work and it will come to life. Maybe check compression before adding the PB blaster. That might give you some idea of the shape of the internals. Check again after soaking for a while.
 Keep us informed of your progress. Charlie

Edited by CTuckerNWIL - 15 Apr 2010 at 7:21pm
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Gil (cent MO) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil (cent MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 7:27pm
The engine block has a plate bolted to the right side, that makes it a WD block. The engine head is also a WD head. The 45 heads were taller and the spark plugs were further inset. The engine may have 45 internals but that is not likely. The engine appears to be an earlier WD engine. That doesn't mean the engine is a bad engine, it just means it's a WD engine and is of slightly less horse power than a 45 engine.  Magnetos were factory installed on early WD engines. The tractor serial (from the rear of the differential housing) would give a better idea of what this machine was originally.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OrangePowerGA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 7:51pm

Here is the serial #'s

Engine: WD246734GA
Tractor: WD43581

The handwritting on the record is that of my late grandfather, so I'm 99% sure they are correct.  I'll verify next week while I'm off from work on vacation.

Rick of HopeIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick of HopeIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 7:51pm
congrats, that looks like a fine, original WD.  Hopefully the back rims are good, not rusted bad by fluid.    Hold on to it if it originally was purchased by your family.  You can't buy that....  priceless as they say

Edited by Rick of HopeIN - 15 Apr 2010 at 7:53pm
1951 B, 1937 WC, 1957 D14, -- Thanks and God Bless
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OrangePowerGA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by Rick of HopeIN Rick of HopeIN wrote:

congrats, that looks like a fine, original WD.  Hopefully the back rims are good, not rusted bad by fluid.    Hold on to it if it originally was purchased by your family.  You can't buy that....  priceless as they say
They are good and the area around the valve steams is nice.

Also has factory weights.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 8:01pm
Those numbers show to be 1950 tractor and 1950 engine. About 8,000 into 1950 production that totaled about 36,000.
Rfdeere View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rfdeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 8:07pm
   Is that an Allis spade ?
Randy Freshour,Member Indiana AC Partners,
http://www.rumelyallis.com
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 8:10pm
Rfdeere, That's a tiling spade. LOL
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OrangePowerGA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by Rfdeere Rfdeere wrote:

Is that an Allis spade ?
No, that is the result of a certain type of "rigging" if ya know what I mean.  As well as the tool box.  Before that the tool box was a metal ammo container that was on the rear step.  It was decided that the larger tool box on the side was more convient.
kev/ont View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kev/ont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 8:25pm

That is one nice original tractor! I know it is hard to tell from the pictures but the tin work and rear fenders look to be incredibly  straight for a 60 year old tractor and the back tires must not be loaded for the rims to be in that kind of shape. I'm sure you will have alot of fun with that old girl. I have one that I just restored that I bought from my uncle's estate (he bought it brand new) and I know that it can never be replaced. I will hang on to it as long as I am looking at the grass from this side. Have fun with it!

omahagreg View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omahagreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 8:41pm
That one is straighter than ours, which was my Granddad's.  We will need all new sheet metal and rear spinouts, to make ours even look like a nice original. 
Greg Kroeker
1950 WD with wide front and Freeman trip loader
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OrangePowerGA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 9:37am
Would that head not work with a 4.5" stroke? 

Should I leave it as near original as possible or consider any performance upgrades on the engine?

Thanks for the compliments.  I guess it is in better than average condition for 60 years old.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 10:43am
The head will work for a 4.5 stroke. You can buy 4.125 sleeves and pistons to add a little zip or you could put 45 internals in it for even more. For a family show and play tractor I wouldn't change it. Get it running and do some checking,compression etc. before you start rebuilding. You might be surprised how good an old engine will run and for how long.
WC7610 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WC7610 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 11:00am
Very nice original.  Not a lot of them has as good a tinwork.  Guess they don't need tire chains in GA. LOL  Enjoy.   As far as restoring it, you might give it a good wax job and be surprised how it cleans up!
Thanks

Most Bad Government has grown out of Too Much Government- Thomas Jefferson
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic