This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CA w/Cultivators Still Working

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wkpoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CA w/Cultivators Still Working
    Posted: 20 Jun 2012 at 9:18pm
Wonder how many have a tractor not only with cultivators mounted but still earning its keep. I realize this would only apply to the smaller tractors. Very few places in the world cultivate on a large scale. This CA is a pleasure to drive and is still doing its thing 60yrs later.
Sponsored Links

CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2012 at 9:26pm
I've got all the stuff to do it, just haven't had it mounted in many years. I did put the 2 row on the 45 about 15 years ago and used it some.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
CAdon View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAdon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2012 at 9:29pm
thanks for the pix.  mine came with a similar belly setup - minus the front brace and the blades.  now i can see (and show) what i'll need when i finish the general refurb.
also mine has adjustable wide front.

Edited by CAdon - 20 Jun 2012 at 9:32pm
52 CA, 41 B and a little B1    oh, yeah... and an 8N ford snuck in there, too.

DennisA (IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DennisA (IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2012 at 9:55pm

60 years later and still going strong. The "CA" is still my main tractor doing it all.

http://s161.photobucket.com/albums/t227/caallis/CA%20Working%20Pictures/
Thanks & God Bless

Dennis
CAdon View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAdon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2012 at 10:03pm
wow dennis!  great pix and great collection of implements.  keep her running sweet!
52 CA, 41 B and a little B1    oh, yeah... and an 8N ford snuck in there, too.

wkpoor View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wkpoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2012 at 10:42pm
Those aren't on there for show. This time of the season I've been using them a couple times a week. Getting ready to put the side dressers on. I don't have quite the selection Dennis has but I do have a few goodies. Thanks to a forum member I have the 2 row front mounted planter. I also have the rear mounted that I currently use. The disc is same as Dennis has but I really doubt mine was ever used when I got it same as the 2-12s plow that still has the Allis metal tag hanging on it. That set hanging on the tractor has 4 brandy new shanks, 4 brandy new discs and the rear gauge wheel I had to remove the tag to install it. In addition to the NOS list is 4 complete fertilizer units, a box full of misc planter parts such as gears, drives and chains. I've got 4 new side dresser disc openers and brand new fenders. That tractor in the pic is sporting its original tires it was sold with. It was delivered to the customer in Febuary 53.
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 6:36am
It's not a CA but I use my WD45 with a two row cultivator with a side-dresser on it.
Don

Edited by Don(MO) - 21 Jun 2012 at 6:37am
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

wkpoor View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wkpoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 7:29am
Originally posted by Don(MO) Don(MO) wrote:

It's not a CA but I use my WD45 with a two row cultivator with a side-dresser on it.
Don

Are those hopper extensions factory or did you make them up? Seems not many shows have tractors sporting implements especially something like a side dresser. Last August I took mine to the first show its ever been to and it was sporting the mounted disc. 
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 7:44am
Originally posted by wkpoor wkpoor wrote:

Originally posted by Don(MO) Don(MO) wrote:

Don

Are those hopper extensions factory or did you make them up? Seems not many shows have tractors sporting implements especially something like a side dresser. Last August I took mine to the first show its ever been to and it was sporting the mounted disc. 
I don't think they are factory, Dad said he made lot's of hopper extensions back in the day of the little planter boxs. I have hauled it to some shows and the old guys know what it is but I get a lot of "what's that" from newer farmers all the time. lol
I use the side-dresser one time per year on corn and the funny part is the corn likes it just find. lol
Don

Edited by Don(MO) - 22 Jun 2012 at 6:24am
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

allischalmerguy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allischalmerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 7:45am
Dennis,
Where did you get the dual back wheels for the CA? That is awesome!
allischalmerguy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allischalmerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 7:47am
Don,
Some day I want to come down and live at your farm! You have the neatest old Allis stuff! That cultivator with the sidedresser is really neat. I have not seen anyone use one around here!
It is great being a disciple of Jesus! 1950 WD, 1957 D17...retired in Iowa,
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 7:48am
One more thing about the extension's is I used them one time and I'm too short to fill them so they are sitting it the back of the barn, I have to stop and fill-up more but I don't need a step ladder to fill-up now. lmao
Don

Don(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 7:53am
I agree with the pastor, don always has really cool equipment to go with his 45's!

What is the set up time, to put that cultivator on the CA? Just put the 2 row on the C at home, and that took awhile. The CA has got to be quicker, with the SC rear gang and locking pins on the front.
Galatians 5:22-24

"I got a pig at home in a pen and corn to feed him on, All I need is a pretty little girl to feed him when I'm gone!"
wkpoor View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wkpoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 9:01am
Originally posted by Don(MI) Don(MI) wrote:

I agree with the pastor, don always has really cool equipment to go with his 45's!

What is the set up time, to put that cultivator on the CA? Just put the 2 row on the C at home, and that took awhile. The CA has got to be quicker, with the SC rear gang and locking pins on the front.

First time on this year took me awhile cause I was cleaning hardware and I disassembled every shank and made sure they were loose so they could trip. Plus I cherry picked my pile of 4 cultivators for the best parts and even ground out some bushings on the lift arms and welded them into others so I could make the tightest set. The rear gang is a snap to take on and off. The fronts I haven't removed yet but the manual just shows them swinging out and then being self supporting. After one bolt is removed and another loosened on either side and removing the front pins you can drive away from it all. So in theory one can remove and install them pretty quick if all goes as planned. However seems they will take up alot of space that way. Really not sure I'll have a need to remove the fronts since they aren't in the way of using the rear planter. In fact once the side dresser is on it will just stay there too as it won't be in the way of cultivating.
I gotta say I really enjoy cultivating and getting some seat time on the CA. The engineering on the whole setup must have been something in its day. And the hydraulics work to a tee with the delayed lift action. I went through some growing pains with the hyd control. I posted a week or 2 ago about that. Since have that figured out thanks to Duke. Can't be too many left that have real time experience cultivating with anything let alone the CA. I figure its like a lost art.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DennisA (IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 6:32pm
 Unhitching the front gangs is not that great. You need to attach the lift bars to the outside gangs so that it will be free standing. Since all they are is angles they sink in the ground than off over. Than to mount it try getting the front lined up to get the pins in. The "WC" cultivator is the best free standing AC ever made.

Edited by DennisA (IL) - 21 Jun 2012 at 6:44pm
Thanks & God Bless

Dennis
jb from md View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jb from md Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 7:15pm
Dad and i still cultivate some of our corn .we have 2- 6 row three point cultivators . one on the 185 and one on the nf wd45. its alot for the wd but we have a weight bracket on it and use the weights off the 185 to keep the front down. 12 rows at a time it dont take long to get done...Jb
8050 FWA, 190XT, 185, Styled wc, Unstyled wc, (2)C, (2)WD45NF, WD45WF, WD,416h, 716h, 312h, 8070 pedal.
wkpoor View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wkpoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by DennisA (IL) DennisA (IL) wrote:

Unhitching the front gangs is not that great. You need to attach the lift bars to the outside gangs so that it will be free standing. Since all they are is angles they sink in the ground than off over. Than to mount it try getting the front lined up to get the pins in. The "WC" cultivator is the best free standing AC ever made.
Maybe it would work better on concrete. Or maybe if that doesn't work a special reciever stand could be fabbed to hold it up once disconnected.
Other option would be to simply pin the lift arms up and remove whole side assembly one at a time. Then remove front support bar. That way its in 3 pieces. Or like my plan, just leave it all on and get another CA. I plan on having 3 when its all said and done.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 7:52pm
Dad used to leave the levers on the CA and the front gangs sat on the wood floor of the barn. You drive in, pin the front cross member, swing the gangs into place and bolt them and all that was left was to hook up the chains and raise it up. If you have an extra hand, the back doesn't take any longer to hook up (pin hitch set-up).
 I forgot, it's a narrow front so you did have to adjust the back wheels out all the way first. If you didn't have to look for lost tools or hardware, you could be ready to cultivate in an hour if drawbar was on and the wheels narrow.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
wkpoor View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wkpoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by CTuckerNWIL CTuckerNWIL wrote:

Dad used to leave the levers on the CA and the front gangs sat on the wood floor of the barn. You drive in, pin the front cross member, swing the gangs into place and bolt them and all that was left was to hook up the chains and raise it up. If you have an extra hand, the back doesn't take any longer to hook up (pin hitch set-up).
 I forgot, it's a narrow front so you did have to adjust the back wheels out all the way first. If you didn't have to look for lost tools or hardware, you could be ready to cultivate in an hour if drawbar was on and the wheels narrow.
Tucker, I've had the rears off and on many times. Its a piece of cake by myself. I never adjust the wheels. They are set for 60" and thats where they stay. Seems to work good for me since I plant on 30" centers. What you describe is the way I saw it exactly. Lift arms and front mount are still on many tractors out there and have probably been on those tractors their whole life.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DennisA (IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by wkpoor wkpoor wrote:

Maybe it would work better on concrete. Or maybe if that doesn't work a special reciever stand could be fabbed to hold it up once disconnected.
Other option would be to simply pin the lift arms up and remove whole side assembly one at a time. Then remove front support bar. That way its in 3 pieces. Or like my plan, just leave it all on and get another CA. I plan on having 3 when its all said and done.
You're right, setting it on concrete would work great, but I don't have any extra. I like the stand idea, one stand on each side. I tried to leave mine on and still use it for all other farm duties, but that just didn't work out well (see picture below).

I need to find a highcrop "CA" and just leave it on as you said.
I like the hiller discs on your cultivator, I'm sure they were hard to find. We added them to the "G" and they seem to work better than standard sweeps.
Thanks & God Bless

Dennis
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DennisA (IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by allischalmerguy allischalmerguy wrote:

Dennis,
Where did you get the dual back wheels for the CA? That is awesome!
I just had two rings made (one for each wheel) and welded them to a set of extra rims. Made up the hardware and got the brackets for the rim rails. Works very well, I can have them mount in 10 mins or less.
Thanks & God Bless

Dennis
wkpoor View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wkpoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 12:20am
"I like the hiller discs on your cultivator, I'm sure they were hard to find."

There was an ad on here 2 yrs ago. Kinda discrete about what was for sale. I noticed the location was close to Dayton. I called the guy and he had 4 pallets of NOS for sale. Plus B,C and WD45 cultivator stuff all NOS. I took my panel van and a 10' dump trailer and barely got it all in. All kinds of planter stuff and cultivator stuff. Every bit of it new. Real nice guy and it was a pleasure doing business with him. I must have brought 2 tons worth of stuff. Thank my lucky stars daily for that haul.
BTW those hillers work real good. When the plants are tall enough I hill to cover weeds in the row. I've hilled both the corn and beans this year. Amazing how much moisture that holds.
Wil M (NEIA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil M (NEIA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 6:27am
Just used my CA and cultivator a couple of weeks ago to cultivate my small bean patch. 
This was the 2nd year using the cultivator and it took me just a little over a 1/2 hour to put everything on by myself.  I had the gangs disconnected from the front bar and laying on a piece of cement.  I left the levers on last year.  After fighting to put those on by myself, I decided to leave them on and not take them off. 

Edited by Wil M (NEIA) - 22 Jun 2012 at 6:28am
"Yet there are soulless men whose hand and brain tear down what time will never give again." Anderson M Scruggs
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic