This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Do You Recognize this WD45 3pt Hitch?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dexter Peabody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 9:42pm
Steve,  I live about 225 miles from you near Poplar Bluff, which is in Butler County.   Wish it were a bit closer.

Between a lot of help from You, Brian G. and CTruckerNWIL, plus comments from others, and access to the right parts, I could get this hitch thing right.  Never been a mechanic.  Build wooden wide barn yard gates of my own design back when I was in HS, but mechanics, gas engines, etc, was never my forte.   You all are helping me a lot.

I really do appreciate it.

Dex
Sponsored Links

CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 9:52pm
The loader won't work with that "brush guard".  At least it won't go down all the way.Wacko
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Brian G. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 10:14pm
The guy who built that "brush guard" (bumper) sure had a great imagination!  LOL
Steve Zidlicky View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Zidlicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 10:37pm
yep! guard/cow catcher has got to go.  I will send you a pm tomorrow. too tired now  Steve
Dexter Peabody View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dexter Peabody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2012 at 9:27am
Steve, CTruckerNWIL, and Brian G.,  THANK YOU, for confirming that the brush guard is going to prevent the WD45 Front End Loader from working on my tractor.   I really was afraid that that would be the case.

If it were you, would you remove the brush guard and buy the front end loader?   I could see a possible use for it, in moving huge piles of mulch to the orchard, or, moving dirt around.  I then found an AC rear scoop, that may do most of that, a little cheaper.

I had originally planned to use rails on the front end loader to move dead animals, like if a horse died, etc.   The Front End Loader will cost me $700, $500 for it, and $200 for delivery.  If you were in my situation, would you opt to buy it?

Thanks,
Dex

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dexter Peabody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2012 at 9:28am
All,

Front end loader photo and my tractor are near the bottom of page 1.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dexter Peabody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2012 at 9:30am
Steve,

Looking forward to your PM, however, if you would like to direct email, that is fine, too.

mballou@mvp.net

Dex
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2012 at 1:29pm
I recently bought that same loader with no bucket for $100. 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dexter Peabody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2012 at 6:16pm
CTruckerNWIL,  and others on the price of the front end loader.

Wow!  That was a fantastic price! $100...!!!!!   I wonder if it is worth $700, $500, and another $200 to drag it 170 miles, one way?

You guys got any input on the price, and scarcity of this oader?   A good deal, or, would you all pass?

Thanks, a million, guys.

Dex
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2012 at 6:43pm
Think I would look around a bit B4 I paid that much. Bring your pickup up here and I'll take my old loader off the 45 for $100. Holes kinda wore and it has some reinforcing in the front tubes. If that was a later rectangle box frame, it would be worth more. IMO
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dexter Peabody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2012 at 10:22am
Thanks, CTrucker.  If I can trade the Honda Pilot for a pickup, which I really do need,  I may take you up on that at a later date if it is still around.   I was born in Keokuk, IA, and still have at least one cousin still there.

I thought it was a little high, but I was also worried about how scarce a Front End Loader for a WD45 might be.  Then, now,. I have to tackle getting that brush guard off, if I were to use it..  I may pass on that one.

Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2012 at 3:36pm
You'll need to take that usless guard off the front. the loader looks to be in good shape complete and has at least the left parking stand. Some guys will bad mouth the WD9 loader because its only a trip bucket. Once you put one on you'll wonder how you ever did without it. With parking stands it takes only a couple minutes to remove the loader and less than 10 to install. you need to reconfigure your sway chains on that adapter down to the drawbar bail mounting. I change my 3pt adapter and drawbar a couple times eack year. I just leave the snap coupler end propped up on a 6 x8 block of wood and back into it. then I lift the end up and pin the drawbar inplace. you can hook a chain from each rockshaft end through the drawbar and use the hyd to lift it up. The draw bar can be installed either side up just depends how high you want the end. most of the time My WD45 sits with the drawbar and loader on it. When I need the 3pt I take the loader off. just drop the parking stands down, raise the loader slightly and chain the two bottoms together. Then let the loader down disconnect and push the rams in. pull the two pins and back away. disconnect the hyd hose and pin the rams in the up position. I gave 250 for one loader and 300 for the other I would spend $500 on a good one before buying junk and trying to fix it up.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dexter Peabody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2012 at 6:59pm
Hi, Dakota Dave,

In addition to spending the $500 for this loader that I am considering, if you didn't have a pickup, would you pay the $200 to deliver it and have a total of $700 in it?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dexter Peabody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2012 at 2:13pm
Steve Z,

Thank you for your email.  I will be sending you an email soon, from a different address.  mballou@mvp.net

Am very interested.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dexter Peabody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2012 at 2:25pm
Thank you all

.....for the great comments on my 3pt hitch on my WD45.   I'd either like to spend a little to get it as near original as possible, or, put on a WD hitch that doesn't use up my Snap Coupler.

I am not knowledgeable, but I would have to question, why AC didn't make a retro hitch that could be put on earlier WD's and WD45's, and start sending them out from the factory with a 3pt hitch that didn't use up the Snap Coupler.

With a 3pt hitch that used the Snap Coupler, it would make it a b*%#@ to hook up any Snap Coupler implements that the owner had, or, bought in the future.   At least, that is just my opinion.  It seems, to me, like a major faux paux, in engineering and marketing.  God bless them.

I understand that there were patent considerations back then, that Ferguson had, but I thought that was resolved by the early 50's.

Two miles from where I live there is an AC Snap Coupler 3 bottom plow in great shape.  The guy who I bought the tractor from recently sold a Snap Coupler Disc.    I would have gone after both, if the 3pt hitch wasn't using the Snap Coupler.

Thanks...

Dex
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2012 at 4:45pm
If you had the Allis built 3 point adapter set up the way it is supposed to be, it would take about 10 seconds to remove it and then you back into your plow or disc, connect the lift arms and go. No more than 2 minutes tops from 3 point to plow. All the WD45's drawbars connect to the Snap Coupl bell under the belly of the tractor. 
 You have the proper drawbar and you have most of the SC to 3 point adaptor. What you need to do is get a set of lift latches
to put on the lift arms. These slide over the lift arms and you links to the 3 point get clamped in with spring pressure. About 2 seconds to connect or disconnect. You will need to remove those plates that are bolted on to the lift arms and put them in your scrap pile.You have most of what you need. Get the latches and be done with it.
John (MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John (MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2012 at 5:48pm
The snap coupler hitch was considered by most users to be better than the Fergie 3 point system back in the day and for the size of equipment used back in the D series days. It is so much easier to hook up snap coupler equipment than it is 3 point. But alas it's getting harder and harder to find snap coupler equipment. Those #9 loaders are sure handy, but usually sell for between $100 and $200. $700 ought to get you one with 2 way cylinders and a pump.
AC WD45 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC WD45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2012 at 5:49pm
Here is an explination of the WD45, Im not sure if its in part one or part 2, but there is information on the snap coupler in there. also demos how to hook up implements and the draw bar.

[TUBE]cYH3q9nJ-fc[/TUBE]

[TUBE]y5LLqziJJEk&feature=relmfu[/TUBE]
German Shepherd dad
1957 Allis Chalmers WD45
#WD234847
1951 Allis Chalmers WD
#WD88193
Flint23 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flint23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2012 at 3:21am
Great videos Clap AC, that guy makes swinging that hitch look easy LOL
been there done that, not doing it again...
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dexter Peabody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2012 at 10:37pm
Whether it is "slinging" the Snap Coupler draw bar, as someone else had suggested earlier in the posts, or, "Swinging," it as in the above post, I think that a couple of us here have agreed that our slinging and swinging days are pretty much behind us.Smile
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dexter Peabody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2012 at 10:56pm
Just a thought   (AC INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEOS)

When I was 14, I left an 800 acre farm back in the 60's.  I was the equipment grease monkey, drove the tractor some, but come hay time, my main job was to ride the twine box on our baler and tie the hundreds of missed tied  knots as the bales came down the chute.

Joined the Marine Corps right out of high school,  and did not return to the farm after Vietnam and college. 

While I missed the drug culture of the 60's and 70's, I had a something that caused short term memory problems for me in 2000.  I have a tough time following verbal and sometimes written material, especially if it is new to me.  That is, something with which I am unfamiliar.   That and being away so long, makes things that is kindergarten stuff for you, pretty complicated for me.

Have any of you who have contributed so much to this topic on the 3pt hitch, ever thought of combining your talents and posting something akin to "How To" and other informative videos here?  Yeah, I know you are on the farm, and have a lot more on your plate, but if someone, or, ones, who have a natural teaching talent could make familiarization videos to post here, or, sell $15 dollar dvd's, I am sure that people like me would buy them.  I have always reacted better to visual instruction, than verbal.

Could do one on "familiarization with the WD45".  Introduce the parts, carb, radiator gauge, all the knobs, levers, gauges, etc.   "If you pull this thing here, it will unlock the Snap Coupler, allowing the implement to be disengaged from the tractor.  The proper 3pt hitch on a WD45 will have these Snap Coupler latches that will allow, say, a plow to disengage if while using it, the Snap Coupler latch spring brakes allowing the plow tongue to go into the ground.  If it the Snap Coupler latches on the lift arm didn't release, then the plow could swing around and come up to meet you on the tractor seat.  These are your sway chains, this is the tube that spreads  the lift arms apart, this is the rock shaft,  here is the hydraulic ......., Now you have to disconnect this tube if you are using the ..........   and here is the PTO.  It's rated power is 43 horsepower.....etc.  Be sure to grease here,  at least every day, or, every other day, and check the fluid in the PTO every, oil at every use, it is over here, and check the radiator every..... especially in very hot weather... etc..."

I have trouble with retention, and in visualizing some of what has been said here.   Again, because of the 2000 problem that I had.  I am going to print off your comments that relate to the hitch and get out there and see if I can place what you have said to what I am seeing on the tractor.

Anyway, if people who know AC implements, tractors, etc. would do videos like that, I would watch them, and probably buy a few.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dexter Peabody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2012 at 11:03pm
Geez, I need to proof read better before I post...  NOT Brakes, but BREAKS !!!

Since you all tell me that I have a rock shaft, I am going to have to go to GOOGLE IMAGES and find out just what that is.  I sure want to know, and it is not in my '60's farm vocabulary, or, memory bank.  Smile

Thanks so very much for all that you have contributed to my learning process.

Dex
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic