This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reviving a WD45

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2023 at 12:16am

Couple photos of how the seat is relocated
Sponsored Links

plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2023 at 12:11pm
Well it looks like I done screwed up. I replaced the sediment bowl with a “better” one but was having trouble getting it to not leak. I removed the screen briefly to see if it made a difference, which it didn’t, but in the meantime it seems debris has found its way in to the carb. Disappointing for sure since I had just sealed this tank possibly got sediment from a fuel can. It is real sensitive to choke adjustment and if it dies, restarts easily. Will be disassembling the carb to verify
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2023 at 12:35pm
Sounds about like my luck. Did just clean my D 15 sediment bowl and after reinstall had no leaks
Had a new gasket just in case. Good luck with your carb!
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2023 at 7:26pm
I think the replacement sediment bowl assembly are being made now by the same people who makes points and condenser. Seems like you have to buy two to get one that doesn't leak
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2023 at 7:52pm
I put a new sediment bowl assembly on the 170 and have had no trouble with it. In the case of this WD45, the threads were highly corroded and the bowl showed a crack though I couldn't feel it. Rather than a new one, I took the one from Dad's WD project to use. The bowl and plastic screen are in good shape. I placed bowl in the base without the cork gasket and it seems to fit well, no rocking which would indicate the base is flat. I installed a new cork gasket then the screen as I assume the step in the glass bowl is to recess the strainer so the cork will seal against the top edge. I then tried a rubber gasket which was worse. Then tried the screen first with gasket between screen and bowl. That leaks even worse. Will try another cork gasket then may resort to a whole new assembly. Won't be back at it for while till I get a few other things done first
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2023 at 11:03am
Found some time to mess with it. Since it needed choke to run at anything above idle I decided to disassemble the carb again. Flushed everything out and though I couldn't see it well enough it appeared there may been something over the needle and seat assembly. Looks cleaner now than prior to flushing. Also opened the sediment bowl valve and ran gas out the line in to a plastic bowl and saw some debris come out that fuel line. After I had sealed the tank, the threads to the fuel bowl needed chased with a pipe tap. That debris cleaned from the threads is what I believe got in to the line and carb. Put all back together and after it warmed up a bit, took it for trip down the road and back. Ran very well in road gear. Will do some fine tuning on the carb a little later. Sounds like the water pump is rather noisy. Brakes are good.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2023 at 4:48am
Sounds like you had a good day! It was chilly yesterday but wasn't bad working outside.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2023 at 6:22am
I went rogue and stayed with the existing charging system. The whole thing was converted to a 60s GM style with a totally farmricated wiring harness. Some of the materials look like stuff Dad was using at the time before he passed. The circuitry similar to a 170 wiring schematic. So, I had gotten an alternator earlier a d have subsequently replaced the external voltage regulator with a solid state type.
Yes, the harness is hardly presentable but as you can see the charging system is working

A new ammeter as recommended by DJs for this type conversion. Overkill? IDK, but again is working.

The old one didn't move at all. New light switch. The lights are mounted on the fenders but they work once I get a good ground. Only have one original style light which currently is not working.
The cork sediment bowl gasket has apparently acclimated itself to its surroundings as it currently is not leaking. Yay

Edited by plummerscarin - 30 Nov 2023 at 7:22am
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2023 at 9:05am
A battery that charges and a sediment bowl that does not leak are two HUGE things in my tractor world!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2023 at 6:26am

Lights work! The throttle lever may need some attention. At full speed the lever does not move all the way down and there is some spring back which drops RPM. I do have a manual to study and remedy this. Also would be a good time to check actual RPM, timing and point settings.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2023 at 9:36am
Plummer, I have fought that throttle thing on two 45's and a straight WD. The WD now works just like it came from the factory. It had a replacement carb on it, went back to original. Eventually got the 45's to work right also but it took a lot of effort and syncing of the governor rod.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2023 at 12:50pm
Pretty sure it’s the right carb. Will double check. I started by disconnecting the governor to carb rod. Pulled the lever down and it does not reach full travel. So I believe something is limiting travel within the governor body or the linkage between it and the throttle lever. I can see the linkage may have some adjustability
AllisFreak MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisFreak MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2023 at 7:27pm
I like the oval muffler on there.
'49 A-C WD, '51 A-C WD, '63 A-C D17 Series III, 1968 A-C One-Seventy, '82 A-C 6060, '75 A-C 7040, A-C #3 sickle mower, 2 A-C 701 wagons, '78 Gleaner M2
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2023 at 4:30am
The linkage has lots of adjustment available. I tried many different combo's before I was satisfied with mine. Thinking back on the prior carb. It is a new replacement Zenith. Sinking the linkage may have helped that, don't know. It ran fine, went from low idle to high in about half an inch of lever movement.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2023 at 11:35am
Originally posted by AllisFreak MN AllisFreak MN wrote:

I like the oval muffler on there.

It's been there since I can remember. Don't know what brand. Someone did a nice job cutting the tin to fit

Carb is a TSX 464

Edited by plummerscarin - 02 Dec 2023 at 11:37am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic