This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Oil Weight

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avigil2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oil Weight
    Posted: 21 Dec 2023 at 10:31am
Hello guys got a 1952 CA that i am trying to get ready for spring! It has been completely drained of fluids when i bought it and i found that the oil filter had 15/40 written on it i assumed it meant 15w40 was used is this a good oil weight to put in the tractor or is it to heavy? Also is universal tractor fluid good for the hydraulic system or something else? i appreciate any answer!
Sponsored Links

HoughMade View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoughMade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2023 at 12:11pm
The old manuals will say 30wt, but I have been running 15w40 for years without a problem.  My only caveat is that I don't use the tractor in the winter.
1951 B
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2023 at 12:24pm
15w40 or 10w30 oil is fine.. The  15 or 10 is basically the COLD viscosity, so that is good for winter startup.... Original was 20 wt winter and 30 wt summer.

Universal tractor fluid is great for the trans / bevel gear / hydraulics...

Dont forget the final drive oil pans inside the wheel rim..  you will have to remove them to clean and reinstall..... Takes about a quart of 80-90 gear lube in each..
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2023 at 12:27pm
They probably used the 15w40 because it was STANDARD with the larger Diesel tractors on their farm.... Thats fine, but normally 10w 30 would be your choice.
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2023 at 5:23pm
I use 15-40 in my WD45. Works great. If you do a lot of cold starts in winter then go to 5-40 synthetic for easier startup.
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2023 at 8:09pm
If I were planning to work my Model C hard in the summer I would run 15W-40, however, I don't ever work it hard so I run 10W-30 and if I were using it in the winter I would use 5W-30
DMac View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2023 at 8:51pm
keep in mind that the oils of today are far superior to what they were in 1952, so probably most anything will be fine 
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2023 at 9:14pm
O GOODIE, AN OIL THREAD!!🎉🎉 I’ll get some popcorn.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2023 at 1:46pm
What brand of popcorn? What oil did you use on it? Smile
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2023 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by Ed (Ont) Ed (Ont) wrote:

What brand of popcorn? What oil did you use on it? Smile

Definitely butter. Any brand of popcorn that floats your boat.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2023 at 7:12pm
Use NON DETERGENT butter, not they synthetic "Margarine" or Vegatable-based butter...

Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Avigil2001 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avigil2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2023 at 2:23am
Thank you guys for all the answers!
Phil48ACWC View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil48ACWC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2023 at 9:36am
Where does oil WEIGHT come from? When referring to 10W-30, W is for WINTER. Not WEIGHT. Motor oil weighs 8.35 pounds per gallon and has nothing to do with viscosity.

The general reference is VISCOSITY. 

Edited by Phil48ACWC - 27 Dec 2023 at 9:41am
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2023 at 9:39am
Just like "condenser" rather than capacitor of which it really is.  So many years have transpired it's part of the jargon. Same thing with "Band-Aid".

For many years we ran straight SAE 20W oil in the colder months, and SAE 30W in the warmer months. Straight 30W oil in the Detroit Diesels all year round with engine preheaters installed. 

Still have a barrel of each in the shop. 

Edited by Codger - 27 Dec 2023 at 9:41am
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2023 at 7:32pm
Never knew the"W" stood for winter. So 50W is winter oil???
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2023 at 9:29pm
Oil viscosity has always been referred to as WEIGHT... Google  "20 weight oil" and you will get PAGES of hits.... If you have ONE NUMBER like 20W , 30W, 50W ... that is called 50 WEIGHT oil and has a viscosity THICKER than 40w or 30w.. ...

If you have TWO numbers like 10W 30 ..(multi- viscosity)... the W is the WINTER RATING (10 weight) and the second number is the SUMMER RATING ( 30 wt) ................ In reality it is VISCOSITY, but has been called WEIGHT for a hundred years.

and referring to it as "50 weight" is a lot easier to remember than " 210 centistokes @40 degree C"..  Wink

-----------------------

Internet..............When it comes to determining and choosing an oil weight, none of it involves weight as we commonly think of it—there are no weight scales involved in weighing oil. Instead, in this circumstance, weight refers to the oil's viscosity, which is a fluid's resistance to flow. Generally speaking, the higher the viscosity, the slower it'll flow, the lower the viscosity, the faster it'll flow.

Oil weight is a critical detail of keeping your engine running as efficiently and reliably as possible, and the way it's identified is a mixture of two rating variables. Let's dive into what those two variables are, why they're important, and why someone might consider deviating from their car's recommended rating for their next oil change.

Edited by steve(ill) - 27 Dec 2023 at 9:44pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic