This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gleaner CII/C2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2024 at 9:51am
Originally posted by GM Guy GM Guy wrote:

squirt the sealed bearings with a teflon infused penetrating oil. If the bearings are not shot, dont replace them. most bearings on these old girls are not under heavy load and can last forever if kept clean and lubed. modern replacements are usually not as good of quality.

Make sure and remove the cleanout covers if storing outside, and blow EVERYTHING off, any crop residue holds moisture and rots things quickly.

Where in KS are you?

I'm not far at all from Clay. Schmidt and Sons must be one of the best AGCO dealers in the world for covering the older stuff. We are lucky they are so close.

Covers are all opened. I still have a mess in the raddle but everything else has been cleaned out and left open.

Thanks for those tips on the bearings. What if the bearing is totally gone? LOLUnfortunately I for sure have one that needs to be replaced. I missed it when I looked the combine over in the dark barn, but it wouldn't have changed what I paid for it. I'll have to build the shaft up or see if the one in the parts combine is still good.

1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
Sponsored Links

wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2024 at 9:55am
Originally posted by ac fleet ac fleet wrote:

Mine would start as soon as you hit the key! Hot or cold. Carb plugged a few times but no biggie. I found they needed to be choked just the right amount of time then go to half choke and after a few seconds of warmup they ready to go. 
Mine didnt have many acres ever run thru it before I got it from the looks of it. Any I sold it to a friend who used for many years after that and he too liked it. Just stay out of the foxtail!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the tip on the choke. I don't have that down yet but I can tell there is some magical combination that lets it start. It could still be that the ignition needs gone through better or the rings are just worn out, but even with a fresh carb teardown and cleanout, this was the most finicky starting gas engine I've maybe every touched.
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2024 at 10:01am
Originally posted by tomNE tomNE wrote:

not good in soybeans.  Can custom hire someone with a draper header and get beans combined for 0$$$$ compared to cutting them with a C2!

I don't think I'd ever get a custom combiner into my 20 acres at a decent time, or maybe ever. Custom hay is just as bad here. You have to do it yourself or you're waiting until months after the time was right.

They also probably can't turn those huge headers around in half of my little fields. Ha!

I am curious how much loss I will have in soybeans with this rig.
tomNE View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomNE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2024 at 10:17am
does corn head have flat chain or roller chain?

ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2024 at 11:05am
been loss was not bad on mine. Ya in todays world you bout gotta do everything yourself if you dont have a million acres! I used to enjoy my little 137 acres. Had to go with crp  since the crop inputs were getting so costly and that was the best move ever! NOW I can enjoy the farm again!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2024 at 1:24pm
Cut beans with 4 cylinder bars and use the small sprocket on the cylinder beater. That's how I ran my A2 for 19 yrs. Had welded bars and would eat anything green....just better keep an eye on the chopper after a big bite of trash.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic