This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BE CAREFUL I was lucky

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 8:56pm
Glad your ok. I like the front end weight looks like good use of a 2 cylinder deere block to me.
Sponsored Links

Eldon (WA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldon (WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 9:30pm
No matter what they say, a wide front will save you on a hillside! I used to custom mow with my 175D and 6' brush hog and it got a little scary on sidehills with the rears set in...now I upgraded to an 8' wide mower and set the wheels way out and I feel a lot safer.  The tractor will slide downhill before it will tip. Narrow fronts are just bad news on hillsides!
ALLIS EXPRESS!
This year:
Redpower1456 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redpower1456 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 11:49pm
That would have been scary. Glad you were able to think fast and bail out quickly. Thanks for posting.

Edited by Redpower1456 - 28 Dec 2010 at 11:52pm
Reeseholler View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reeseholler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 12:09am
you know, people say this is an over run topic, but I'll tell you what. I'm glad you posted. Everytime I see one of these stories I remember. When you're 18, you have a lot to look forward too and I always need a reminder to just slow down and pay attention. Besides, I'm on a tractor. A lot of times it doesn't get any better than that. 
Jim Lindemood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Lindemood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 8:07am
Glad you are OK. Pretty scary for a moment.  Thanks for posting ---- stuff happens fast. Ya'll take care in the New Year.
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 12:25pm
Thank you so much for posting this informative post.  In this day it is so easy to forget that gravity always wins.
You know, I had two very good friends and customers killed on our tractors.  Somewhat unusual since Allis Chalmers has the outside final drives and lower center of gravity.   That said, things like a front end loader in the up position and or a chuck hole can do you in. 
When I was about 10 Pop had me drive a B with a mower to the fair site from the unloading site.  Said to keep it in first gear.  There was a truck following me and a drove the B with the mower blade hanging on the down side over a very steep enbankment.  Did not turn but later when I realized what I had done I stood there and shook. 
You never can be too careful even with the more modern machines. 
Delighted to hear you are fine. 
Happy New Year!
Good Luck!
Bill Long
papastanh View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papastanh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 8:30pm
Oh how quick such a thing can happen. Glad you are ok.
ToddSin NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ToddSin NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 9:35pm
SCARY!! Glad to see yu are ok!! Where in NY do you live??
Daniel Adams View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel Adams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 12:06pm
.Anyone driving on a hillside needs to first get a simple tool (called by different names) so you can avoid reaching critical tilt.

Its called a tilt meter, tilt guage, clinometer, inclinometer, ect. Not expensive. Clap
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 1:44pm
common sense is cheaper....
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 4:44pm
Shocker it’s a NFE baffles me the guys in here that convert a perfectly good WFE and make it narrow. 
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
Play Farmer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Play Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 8:28pm
Wow, that's scary. Glad you're ok.
m16ty View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m16ty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by Daniel Adams Daniel Adams wrote:

.Anyone driving on a hillside needs to first get a simple tool (called by different names) so you can avoid reaching critical tilt.

Its called a tilt meter, tilt guage, clinometer, inclinometer, ect. Not expensive. Clap

I don't know, I think that would just give a false sense of security. The guy said he was on a hill and ran into a hidden hole on the lower side. He could have very well been within the limits gauge, but still run into the whole and turn over. 

It's also hard to make a blanket statement of "don't go sideways on hills". On some farms around here, you are either going up, down, or sideways on hills. There just isn't any level ground to travel, so you can't help but go sideways on a hill sometimes. A man just has to know his limitations.

Wide fronts are a little safer on hills, but it doesn't make as big of a difference as people think. All a wide front does is raise the fulcrum point of the front axle closer to the tractor center of gravity, from the ground on a narrow to the pivot point on a wide. Of course you do have the axle stops on the wide, but on a hillside, by the time you hit the stops, you are beyond the point of no return. I have seen axle stops save a turnover on level ground, but not on a hillside.   
garden_guy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 12:24am
The older I get, the less I like inclines, especially while mowing. My mowing tractor has the rears set out halfway and loaded with ballast, but it is still a NFE.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 4:50am
10  year old post, but still instructive...Hug
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 7:34am
Good post as a reminder about safety on these machines. and all machines too!
A very good friend was mowing railroad right of ways for his Dads mowing business, on a 8N with a sickle bar. Steep sided banks. Not sure what happened but, I was devastated when they told me of the roll over accident that claimed Harold Smiths life at 14. 
Regards,
Chris

D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 7:56am
That is so sad Chris.  Accidents DO happen, it's just one of life's mysteries, but with age comes wisdom.  At 14 he was the same as all of us, in his mind, indestructible.  It's a shame and a great loss for his family.  He wasn't old enough to have the wisdom not to do whatever it was that happened.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Dan Hauter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan Hauter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 10:25am
Very glad that you weren't injured. Way back in 1970 my parents had just built a new house on a hill overlooking a creek bottom. Dad, brother Dave, & I were doing some landscaping. Had a narrow front WD with a loader & Dad was carrying some railroad ties in the loader. The tractor turned completely upside down. Dad bailed off the back just in time. The tractor was still running! Dad crawled underneath & pulled the battery cables off to stop the engine. I still have that tractor, it's been repaired, restored, & goes to tractor shows now.
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 12:10pm
I cannot tell you how DELIGHTED I am to see that you made it from that serious accident - could have been FATAL!!
You may remember in a post of mine some time back I lost a friend who was using a loader.  You are never too safe.  
Remember, you are on borrowed time.  Make the most of it.
Good Luck! - you really have it.
Bill Long

ps:  Interesting how well the tractor looks.  They are TOUGH
Dan Hauter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan Hauter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 8:39pm
Way back in 1970 my parents had just completed a new house on a hilltop overlooking a big creek bottom. I was 15 and brother Dave was 13. We were helping Dad do landscaping. Dad had a WD narrow front with a loader on it and was carrying railroad ties in the loader. Dave & I heard the tractor roll over, turned around, & saw Dad's legs sticking out from under the tractor. We RAN over to the tractor to see what happened to Dad. Dad had rolled off the back just in time, the engine was still running in spite of the tractor being completely upside down, rear wheels were turning, & Dad crawled underneath to pull the battery cables off to stop the engine. I think we all suffered a little trauma that day! Still have that tractor today. It's been restored & goes to tractor shows.
Rick of HopeIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick of HopeIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 10:06am
A lot of accidents occur when running a side hill, even a moderate one on tricyle tractor and then dropping rear wheel in a hole or soft spot. Of course when I was young, never thought about that stuff. Our own family tractors were mostly wide fronts by the time I was running them, in our area there were enough hills the tall tricycle type tractors had fallen out of favor I suppose. I had a bad experience on neighbors Deere 60 when I was raking hay too fast and a rear brake locked up on an end turn. Learned not to do that again and throttle way back before turning.
Bush hogging is especially bad since the weeds hide stuff. Many a front end casting broken by dropping in a hole.
Glad you came out OK.

Edited by Rick of HopeIN - 02 May 2020 at 10:06am
1951 B, 1937 WC, 1957 D14, -- Thanks and God Bless
Aaron123 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 12:29pm
Wow glad you are ok .
I bet that gave you a good scare
200 10and20 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200 10and20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 1:05pm
As a kid back in the early sixties I was taught the only thing we ever used a narrow front was for planting and backing wagons in the shed. Wide front for everything else. That setup doesn't look save to sit in a barn let alone use.
Rick of HopeIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick of HopeIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 4:04pm
In the mid 60s, front mount cultivators and mounted pickers had faded away so not much need for narrow front.
1951 B, 1937 WC, 1957 D14, -- Thanks and God Bless
m16ty View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m16ty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 9:16pm
I’m still a fan of narrow fronts. If anybody has a narrow front D19, I will gladly trade you a good wide front for it. I’ll also take any 100 series narrow fronts, and give you a wide to replace it with.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic