Forum Description: everything about Allis-Chalmers farm equipment
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=22955
Printed Date: 01 Jul 2024 at 6:18am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: BE CAREFUL I was lucky
Posted By: jpscny
Subject: BE CAREFUL I was lucky
Date Posted: 27 Dec 2010 at 9:52pm
The WD rolled over when I was STUPID and drove sideways on a hill while mowing.
As the tractor was going over I jumped and landed out of harms way.
I believe GOD saved my life.

I am showing these pictures so others will learn from my mistake.

Replies:
Posted By: Roddo
Date Posted: 27 Dec 2010 at 9:56pm
I'm glad your ok.  You can bang the dents out and be no worse for the wear but there is only one you. 

Dad always told me to set the wheels out as far as can be when on a side hill.  Food for thought.

Posted By: JoeM(GA)
Date Posted: 27 Dec 2010 at 10:02pm
glad you're OK!!

-------------
Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB

Posted By: Steve M C/IL
Date Posted: 27 Dec 2010 at 10:29pm
The Lord has had to "step in" more than once for me.Never did THAT but plenty of other things. 

Posted By: wi50
Date Posted: 27 Dec 2010 at 10:36pm
I'd be glad to send you some spare used underware, mine are 34" waist and likely cleaner than yours.

All kidding aside, glad you're alright, rember it's a good thing that it happened as you'll do what you can to prevent "accidents" from now on.

-------------
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"

Posted By: Larry in OK
Date Posted: 27 Dec 2010 at 11:19pm
Would have been a good chance to repack those front wheel bearings.

-------------
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for much of anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Posted By: David Maddux
Date Posted: 27 Dec 2010 at 11:52pm
I think I will keep these pictures and show them to my Grandsons. This can be a good learning tool. Thank God you were not hurt. Like they say, he moves in mysterious ways.There must be a reason yet for you being around.  Dave.  P.S., but I won't show my wife.

Posted By: LouSWPA
Date Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 12:07am
A little fear is a good thing! I'm too chicken to get one close to rolling. Glad you are OK, getting off of one of those in a hurry can be a challenge. BTW, is that a JD block you are using for a front weight?

-------------
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27

Posted By: Dans 7080
Date Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 1:38am
I laid dads 45 on its side when I was a freshman in highschool. I walked away from it, but it gave me a new respect for machines.  Luckly we had a D19 to upright it. The tractor hasnt been the same since. I did reach down and shut it down before it went over so no motor damage (its still running to this day). It all happend so fast but seemed like it was in slow motion. Believe it or not Im a heavy equipment operator now. I had a run in with the yellow iron too (not my fault at all), but didnt walk away from that one, spent the day in the hospital and havent been the same since. Machines are nothing to joke with they show no mercy and have no feelings. I have got into big time arguements about safety, and walked off jobs because of it. Im glad you were able to walk away with just a little "nerv" damage and some parts. JUST REMEMBER SAFETY HAS NO QUITING TIME!

Posted By: WEL(IN&TN)
Date Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 4:40am
My friend, you are very lucky. I  bush hog these Tennessee hills every year and have been very lucky this hasn't happened to me. One thing I always do is go up and down the hills, never sideways.

Posted By: Jeff Z. NY
Date Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 4:51am
Glad you are OK.

That's one reason I like to mow with a wide front end tractor.

I would destroy those pictures.
DEC might want to come and fine you if any fluids leaked into the soil.
Remember we are trying to save the planet.LOL

Posted By: Mr.P
Date Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 6:35am
My Dad lost a cousin doing the same thing.The good lord was on your side God Bless

Posted By: Brian Jasper co. Ia
Date Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 6:39am
That does give a new found respect for machinery. For a short time I drove a concrete mixer. More than once I had construction workers want me to drive along the side of an excavation. Got griped at more than once, but they never had to recover a mixer from a hole.

-------------
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Posted By: Steve in NJ
Date Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 7:53am
Yikes! Now that's a scary site! Glad to hear you're okay and walked away from that. As Jeff mentioned, a wide front Tractor would be better suited for those hills.
Steve@B&B

Posted By: John WV
Date Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 8:09am
I know of some people that was killed that way. I glad you was able to walk away from it. another bad thing is I know of some guys that was kill useing frontend loader to stack round bales of hay and had it to roll back on them . A fried at wor k had a bale roll back on him 10 years ago and now eats pain killers like candy.

Posted By: Dave H
Date Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 8:37am
Hmmmmmmmmmm, where is the guy pulling on that block and tackle?

Posted By: Chris (swIA)
Date Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 8:46am
Scary!!!! I always run the rears wide on the hills. I don't know if a wide front would have stopped that. It would have let you get in trouble farther.

Posted By: JC-WI
Date Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 10:23am
You are very lucky... but you should have had thewheels set out wide like the others said.

Posted By: Herb(GA)
Date Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 10:45am
Chris' opinins are good (my opinion). I believe the front end configuration is a bit more risky, especially if tractor is headed at a downhill angle.
Would be great if some Ag Engrg group made a series of tests on a couple series of tractors (Farmall M NFE, WFE, W6 and  some similar series of high production forty year newer tractors) using something similar to a wrecker truck with Jerr-Dann hydraulic controlled flatbed, BUT Much Heavier Duty Truck & Bed; and then published their test data.
However, when one is approaching a condition when they get to thinking of such minor details, it is best to Stop and find an alternate Safer Method (such as straight up/straight down; as WEL(IN& TN) mentioned.

Posted By: Pa.Pete
Date Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 10:46am
Good to hear you are alright. From the pictures it doesn't look that steep.

Posted By: Pat the Plumber CIL
Date Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 10:54am
When I was 9 or 10 my dad got a call from a nieghbor that a young boy my age drove a tractor off a bridge(on private property-no guard rails).Boy and his friends were not supposed to be driving tractor when parents were not home.Tractor flipped on top of him and killed him,his friends got thrown off and did not get hurt.My dad was upset and made my brother and I get in the pickup to see what happened.By the time we got there the rescue squad had already removed him and some area farmers were turning the tractor back over and cleaning up for family of the boy.My brother and I were the only children there at the time.Well,my dad started in on both of us and several of the other farmers that new us really gave my brother and I a hard time.I thought they were being mean,but I knew they were just trying to keep that from happening to one of us.
Every time I start a tractor I try to think of that little boy and all the things he did not get to do.We all need to try and slow down and think things through before we get into these situations.I am guilty as anyone and find myself rushing to get things done.
Glad to hear you are OK and did not get hurt.Like others have said;Tractors and parts can be replaced,lives cannot.
Message to everyone no matter how old or young,Take a farm safety class if available.Even if you don't learn anything at least you will be thinking about it.I do not want to lose any members of this site.Selfish reasons;Too much valuable info stored in all your brains that I need access to!!!

-------------
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.

Posted By: Rogers
Date Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 11:23am
John, I am glad you are OK. A bad experience will give you a healthy respect for machines. I remember mowing with an 8N Ford when I was younger. The live PTO like to have got me. I ran over something the tractor couldn't go over. I couldn't pull it out of gear and the blade was turning pushing the tractor on ahead with the front wheels coming off the ground. I shut it down, but it still kept going. It was just a little ways, but it felt like a mile. I thought it was going to turn over. I never mowed anywhere I didn't know what was there before after that.

-------------
Think for yourself and be your own expert. Be willing to change your mind; however, willingness to change your mind doesn’t mean that you will. Blindly following any path is the pinnacle of insanity.

Posted By: mooboy
Date Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 12:02pm
JPSCNY,

I am glad you are okay.  Here in the part of Tennessee we live in it is hilly also.  We hire most of our bush hogging done to avoid what you experienced.  Tractor roll-overs happen and I can think of four that have happened right near here (most resulted in fatalities).   But I am out on the tractor a bunch feeding hay and am always trying to learn what not to do.  May I ask a few questions?

1.  Did the front end feel light just before the roll over?
2. Looks like the tractor was on a sidling when it rolled, but were you turning uphill when it flipped?
3. Did either rear tire get caught on anything (or in a pothole)?

Posted By: Gerald J.
Date Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 1:03pm
Pot holes will get you if the down hill tire fits in one.

The 8N needed an overrunning clutch on the PTO because the PTO comes off the transmission after the main clutch and the intertia of the mower will drive it. Many vintage tractors need that overrunning clutch for safety.

Gerald J.

Posted By: acwdwcman
Date Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 1:06pm
i am glad ur ok but i have a ??
is that a john deere head on the front of that tractor as a weight??

-------------
wd with a freeman model 90 trip loader, wd45, 38 unstylled wc, b 10 garden tractor and 2-14 ac trip plow. grandpa has a 56 wd45. wd. allis chalmers snap coupler blade and 3 bottom snap coupler plow

Posted By: acwdwcman
Date Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 1:07pm
i mean block

-------------
wd with a freeman model 90 trip loader, wd45, 38 unstylled wc, b 10 garden tractor and 2-14 ac trip plow. grandpa has a 56 wd45. wd. allis chalmers snap coupler blade and 3 bottom snap coupler plow

Posted By: Brian Jasper co. Ia
Date Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 6:59pm
Another thing to think about is putting jack stands under what you're working on, not just a jack.

-------------
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Posted By: jpscny
Date Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 7:40pm
thanks  for your concern

yes that is a JD block chained to the front
I got it on a pallet of junk at an auction several years ago.

I agree I need to spread the rear wheels.

The left rear wheel went in a hole that was hidden by a bush.
I jumped toward the down hill side as it rolled.

I was the only  one home and had it upright within 1 hour or so
with the block and tackle and a handy-man (farm) jack.

of 3 point hitch parts at an auction several years ago.

Posted By: RSponenberg
Date Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 7:53pm
Glad your ok narrow fronts and sidehills don't mix 

Posted By: Stan R
Date Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 8:01pm
Glad you posted this to share with others. Safety is priority number 1.

Regarding the weight up front, putting it up high raises the center of gravity and makes the tractor easier to tip over. Loaded tires lowers the center of gravity.

Posted By: mlpankey
Date Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 8:56pm
Glad your ok. I like the front end weight looks like good use of a 2 cylinder deere block to me.

-------------
people if they don't already know it you can't tell them. quote yogi berra

Posted By: Eldon (WA)
Date Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 9:30pm
No matter what they say, a wide front will save you on a hillside! I used to custom mow with my 175D and 6' brush hog and it got a little scary on sidehills with the rears set in...now I upgraded to an 8' wide mower and set the wheels way out and I feel a lot safer.  The tractor will slide downhill before it will tip. Narrow fronts are just bad news on hillsides!

-------------
ALLIS EXPRESS!
This year:

Posted By: Redpower1456
Date Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 11:49pm
That would have been scary. Glad you were able to think fast and bail out quickly. Thanks for posting.

Posted By: Reeseholler
Date Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 12:09am
you know, people say this is an over run topic, but I'll tell you what. I'm glad you posted. Everytime I see one of these stories I remember. When you're 18, you have a lot to look forward too and I always need a reminder to just slow down and pay attention. Besides, I'm on a tractor. A lot of times it doesn't get any better than that. 

Posted By: Jim Lindemood
Date Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 8:07am
Glad you are OK. Pretty scary for a moment.  Thanks for posting ---- stuff happens fast. Ya'll take care in the New Year.

Posted By: Bill Long
Date Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 12:25pm
Thank you so much for posting this informative post.  In this day it is so easy to forget that gravity always wins.
You know, I had two very good friends and customers killed on our tractors.  Somewhat unusual since Allis Chalmers has the outside final drives and lower center of gravity.   That said, things like a front end loader in the up position and or a chuck hole can do you in. 
When I was about 10 Pop had me drive a B with a mower to the fair site from the unloading site.  Said to keep it in first gear.  There was a truck following me and a drove the B with the mower blade hanging on the down side over a very steep enbankment.  Did not turn but later when I realized what I had done I stood there and shook. 
You never can be too careful even with the more modern machines. 
Delighted to hear you are fine. 
Happy New Year!
Good Luck!
Bill Long

Posted By: papastanh
Date Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 8:30pm
Oh how quick such a thing can happen. Glad you are ok.

Posted By: ToddSin NY
Date Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 9:35pm
SCARY!! Glad to see yu are ok!! Where in NY do you live??

Posted By: Daniel Adams
Date Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 12:06pm
.Anyone driving on a hillside needs to first get a simple tool (called by different names) so you can avoid reaching critical tilt.

Its called a tilt meter, tilt guage, clinometer, inclinometer, ect. Not expensive. Clap

Posted By: SteveM C/IL
Date Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 1:44pm
common sense is cheaper....

Posted By: victoryallis
Date Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 4:44pm
Shocker it’s a NFE baffles me the guys in here that convert a perfectly good WFE and make it narrow. 

-------------
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760

Posted By: Play Farmer
Date Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 8:28pm
Wow, that's scary. Glad you're ok.

Posted By: m16ty
Date Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by Daniel Adams Daniel Adams wrote:

.Anyone driving on a hillside needs to first get a simple tool (called by different names) so you can avoid reaching critical tilt.

Its called a tilt meter, tilt guage, clinometer, inclinometer, ect. Not expensive. Clap

I don't know, I think that would just give a false sense of security. The guy said he was on a hill and ran into a hidden hole on the lower side. He could have very well been within the limits gauge, but still run into the whole and turn over. 

It's also hard to make a blanket statement of "don't go sideways on hills". On some farms around here, you are either going up, down, or sideways on hills. There just isn't any level ground to travel, so you can't help but go sideways on a hill sometimes. A man just has to know his limitations.

Wide fronts are a little safer on hills, but it doesn't make as big of a difference as people think. All a wide front does is raise the fulcrum point of the front axle closer to the tractor center of gravity, from the ground on a narrow to the pivot point on a wide. Of course you do have the axle stops on the wide, but on a hillside, by the time you hit the stops, you are beyond the point of no return. I have seen axle stops save a turnover on level ground, but not on a hillside.   

Posted By: garden_guy
Date Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 12:24am
The older I get, the less I like inclines, especially while mowing. My mowing tractor has the rears set out halfway and loaded with ballast, but it is still a NFE.

Posted By: DiyDave
Date Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 4:50am
10  year old post, but still instructive...Hug

-------------
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!

Posted By: Sugarmaker
Date Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 7:34am
Good post as a reminder about safety on these machines. and all machines too!
A very good friend was mowing railroad right of ways for his Dads mowing business, on a 8N with a sickle bar. Steep sided banks. Not sure what happened but, I was devastated when they told me of the roll over accident that claimed Harold Smiths life at 14. 
Regards,
Chris

-------------
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.

Posted By: Ted J
Date Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 7:56am
That is so sad Chris.  Accidents DO happen, it's just one of life's mysteries, but with age comes wisdom.  At 14 he was the same as all of us, in his mind, indestructible.  It's a shame and a great loss for his family.  He wasn't old enough to have the wisdom not to do whatever it was that happened.

-------------
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17

Posted By: Dan Hauter
Date Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 10:25am
Very glad that you weren't injured. Way back in 1970 my parents had just built a new house on a hill overlooking a creek bottom. Dad, brother Dave, & I were doing some landscaping. Had a narrow front WD with a loader & Dad was carrying some railroad ties in the loader. The tractor turned completely upside down. Dad bailed off the back just in time. The tractor was still running! Dad crawled underneath & pulled the battery cables off to stop the engine. I still have that tractor, it's been repaired, restored, & goes to tractor shows now.

Posted By: Bill Long
Date Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 12:10pm
I cannot tell you how DELIGHTED I am to see that you made it from that serious accident - could have been FATAL!!
You may remember in a post of mine some time back I lost a friend who was using a loader.  You are never too safe.  
Remember, you are on borrowed time.  Make the most of it.
Good Luck! - you really have it.
Bill Long

ps:  Interesting how well the tractor looks.  They are TOUGH

Posted By: Dan Hauter
Date Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 8:39pm
Way back in 1970 my parents had just completed a new house on a hilltop overlooking a big creek bottom. I was 15 and brother Dave was 13. We were helping Dad do landscaping. Dad had a WD narrow front with a loader on it and was carrying railroad ties in the loader. Dave & I heard the tractor roll over, turned around, & saw Dad's legs sticking out from under the tractor. We RAN over to the tractor to see what happened to Dad. Dad had rolled off the back just in time, the engine was still running in spite of the tractor being completely upside down, rear wheels were turning, & Dad crawled underneath to pull the battery cables off to stop the engine. I think we all suffered a little trauma that day! Still have that tractor today. It's been restored & goes to tractor shows.

Posted By: Rick of HopeIN
Date Posted: 02 May 2020 at 10:06am
A lot of accidents occur when running a side hill, even a moderate one on tricyle tractor and then dropping rear wheel in a hole or soft spot. Of course when I was young, never thought about that stuff. Our own family tractors were mostly wide fronts by the time I was running them, in our area there were enough hills the tall tricycle type tractors had fallen out of favor I suppose. I had a bad experience on neighbors Deere 60 when I was raking hay too fast and a rear brake locked up on an end turn. Learned not to do that again and throttle way back before turning.
Bush hogging is especially bad since the weeds hide stuff. Many a front end casting broken by dropping in a hole.
Glad you came out OK.

-------------
1951 B, 1937 WC, 1957 D14, -- Thanks and God Bless

Posted By: Aaron123
Date Posted: 02 May 2020 at 12:29pm
Wow glad you are ok .
I bet that gave you a good scare

Posted By: 200 10and20
Date Posted: 02 May 2020 at 1:05pm
As a kid back in the early sixties I was taught the only thing we ever used a narrow front was for planting and backing wagons in the shed. Wide front for everything else. That setup doesn't look save to sit in a barn let alone use.

Posted By: Rick of HopeIN
Date Posted: 02 May 2020 at 4:04pm
In the mid 60s, front mount cultivators and mounted pickers had faded away so not much need for narrow front.

-------------
1951 B, 1937 WC, 1957 D14, -- Thanks and God Bless

Posted By: m16ty
Date Posted: 02 May 2020 at 9:16pm
I’m still a fan of narrow fronts. If anybody has a narrow front D19, I will gladly trade you a good wide front for it. I’ll also take any 100 series narrow fronts, and give you a wide to replace it with.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net