This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wc or wd head for pulling?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2013 at 8:37am
And I'm guessing the family tree resembles a fence post...Probably couldn't get your big toe wet in that gene pool. Too bad this forum is only good for entertainment these days, there used to be a really good exchange of quality information here, before most of us got fed up with it. My hat is off to Dr. Allis, Marty and a few others, as for the Bros, so it goes, down the toilet with all their BS. What ever happened to the Gleason?
Sponsored Links

WildBill View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WildBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2013 at 8:42am
this suxThumbs Down I thought that JACKWAGON was banned from here ? I was off here for 6 months and jpank is still on here ?
MITCH GO BUY A JOHN DEERE AND RAG ON THOSE PEOPLE!!!  please leave this to Allis fans who want to share ideas and make good friends !!!
Allis fan for life !   B,C,2-WC'S,WD45G,D19G,190xt ,LLSS 8010, terra tiger refurbished
Ihateillinoisnazis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ihateillinoisnazis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2013 at 3:40pm
Wow, I just read on here now days... But I think it's time to break out the nazihater skills again.

It truely is impressive how numb these Pankey folk are to reality and the truth.   

Hey spunk, the other day I walked past one of our crank balancing machines in the engine plant... Should I go ask the guy if I can flip the switch and muble some hillbilly jargon?

Where's your Gleason??   
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2013 at 6:28pm
well that ought te be enough pankey drama for a while. He's over on ytmag now crying and showing a complete lack of comprehension to Gary Baker because someone gave praise to a half dozen or so people who know what they're doing.

Anyway now for a little usefull information. The 201 and 226 intake valves are 1.68" diameter. The seats in these heads overhang the valve bowls some so the air gets to jerk around the back side of the seat before it can find it's way to the valve. I've filled the back sides of the seats to eliminate that edge. In theory it should help. But the flowbench doesn't care what I think and the bench doesn't lie. It made no difference on the test when I tested by putting some epoxy under the seat to make a nicer transition.

On the slightly modified smaller engines like a 240 cid overbore engine a nice little upgrade is to use a slightly larger intake valve. John Deere 201, 239, 329 etc engines from the Dibuque family of engines use a intake valve that is for all practical purposes identical in length the the Allis valve. Same stem size, you can simply trim the seats and bowls large enough to accept the Deere valve which is 1.77" or so in diameter. This isn't a big change but it will get the seats trimmed out and clean up the core shift in these heads. It's a simple swap and helps gain some intake flow.

When the engines get bigger, I use other automotive valves and cut them down to size, sleeve the guides, use small diameter retainers and springs etc. Sometimes I go for a 1.85", sometimes up to a 2.08 intake valve depending on the head and application. But for most of the slow speed, 2100 and less RPM I stay less than a 1.9" intake valve. This is because on these engines the manifold and carb are to small to feed a larger valve, the velocity just dropps for a larger valve with only a given amount of air available to it. Velocity is verry important. With that nasty 900 degree corner in the head, there's only so much air that's going to bend around it. These heads peak out on flow at a fairley low lift because of that corner. When I fill the areas and cut the corner back, things improve greatly. But of course this is all done for large displacement slow running engines or smaller displacement fast running engines.   

The Deere exhaust valve also transfer in fine, but will require a little work on the seats. The Allis exhaust valve is fine for most of these applications. An engine is loud because of a sonic crack generated by high velocity exhaust gasses going past the exhaust valve. The exhaust valve is opened when there's a fair bit of cylinder pressure yet before BDC on the power stroke. This has a "blow down" effect. You don't need a verry big exhaust valve, you still want the cylinder bleeding off and fairley high velocity past the exhaust valve as the piston reaches TDC and the intake valve begins to open to help draw in a fresh charge and get the cycle started again.
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
jpankey View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2013 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by THE-MAN THE-MAN wrote:

Mitch, you are your own worst enemy.

Doug Henderson has been making fire ring head gaskets on big inch MM's, Olivers, Allis' and IH for 20 years. Thats who taught me. You think you are so special because you bought an old Shipman engine. Dude, seriously, thats like cheating off the jock's test answers! You may have seen it done now, but that does not make it the best way. Like your pistons that come out the bottom.. Like STAR WARS said "Who is worse,The fool or the fool who follows the fool?"

Ive been in more builders engines than you ever will. Guys like Shipman, Bos, Kolberg, Barney, Zyrup, Birdsong, Motec, Chuck Lewis, and a few others. Ive helped guys like Doug and Baker do stuff. I get back and fourth with Lawrence Wilson on ideas..Wi50 is a friend, and we've worked on alot of stuff together...What Im getting at is this..There are multiple ways of skinning a cat .Not all of them are correct. I may not have half the understanding guys like LW and Wi have, but, Ill tell you this. For a guy who rehashes someone else's worn out junk, cant show his work, is a proven liar, and does not pull (winning as the only tractor in the class does not count on your daddys Jd) you sure think you are something special.

obviously your not to missed if you've been ran off from that many shops
THE-MAN View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE-MAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2013 at 8:32pm
:)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic