This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GaryL's Model B Build Thread - Take a Peek

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2016 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by CrestonM CrestonM wrote:

If you're just using the B for small jobs and don't want those extra rear wheel centers, hit me up!

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA LOLLOLLOL

Originally posted by Hubnut Hubnut wrote:

Gary,
Nice looking B.  If it's anything like the parts Kenny sends me, it's perfect!  I've received primo parts from him over the past year or so.  Good man to deal with.   I've been wanting to get over Kenny's way for a while now.  Who did you use to haul
Steve

Dale (aka orangeborn) is hauling the B for me.  He came by, yesterday, to leave a little Farmall at my place while he picks up the B.  I think the Farmall is part of some swap he's arranged with another hauler.  It's a neat little tractor.
Sponsored Links

Richardmo View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2016 at 7:00pm
That hauler has been a very busy person this week,Dale drop off parts to me earlier this week.
Farmall high crop parts.

Pick up a Farmall 140 that is making it way north.
Forgot to take a picture before he left.

Edited by Richardmo - 13 Feb 2016 at 7:02pm
GaryL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2016 at 12:12pm
Dale just left a bit ago.  We had a great time chatting.  His services are outstanding.

Here's my new toy.

GaryL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2016 at 6:14pm
I friend and I tore down the carb today after I had it soaking in a bucket of carb cleaner for the past week.  A jet was clogged and there was a lot of crud in it.

I bought a complete rebuild kit from DJs and wonder if anyone has any advice or insight.
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2016 at 6:37pm
Clean and line the fuel tank, get a good screen and gasket for the fuel bowl, use a screened inlet at the carburetor.  I noticed that the frontend looks a bit different to me.  Is the diagonal support reinforced?
1940 B "Lucy"
1941 B w/ Woods L59 "Flavia"
1942 B w/ finish mower "Dick"
1941 C w/ 3-point "Maggie"
1947 C SFW w/ L306 "Trixie"
1972 314H
GaryL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 8:34am
I just picked up my freshly rebuilt 6V starter.  Total cost was $85 by a local shop.  It looks great.

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 8:43am
Gary,
 Rebuilt carb, rebuilt starter, you should be about ready to do some chores with the new toy? That is a good looking tractor. You will like it. Very easy to drive. Not quite as easy to get on and off, but your young!:)
Don't want to forget about that nice WD you have? Whats the status of that machine?
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 02 Apr 2016 at 8:45am
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 10:13am
$85 bucks? 
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
GaryL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 11:28am
Originally posted by Sugarmaker Sugarmaker wrote:

Gary,
 Rebuilt carb, rebuilt starter, you should be about ready to do some chores with the new toy? That is a good looking tractor. You will like it. Very easy to drive. Not quite as easy to get on and off, but your young!:)
Don't want to forget about that nice WD you have? Whats the status of that machine?
Regards,
 Chris

Hey Chris.  The WD is still waiting in the wings.  My car has been sitting in my garage since December 24th for me to complete work that was thought to only take three days tops.  That ended up being fits of starts and stops searching for parts and ordering more.  I'm also in my final six weeks of my BA, so every day between now and May 5th is focused on that.

Originally posted by Steve in NJ Steve in NJ wrote:

$85 bucks? 

Yes.  $85 of my hard-earned money to rebuild the starter.  This business has an excellent reputation in town.
BigMo(TX) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigMo(TX) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 12:40pm
I'm not saying they didn't do a good job on the starter, but it sure seems cheap. I've had several rebuilt locally by a shop with a good reputation and paid a whole lot more than that every time!
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 2:24pm
I that engine is fairly solid, and I imagine it is if Ken said so, you'll run that thing so long you'll give it to your grand kids. You will like how it sips gas. I doubt if it uses more than a regular rider. Enjoy. Leon R  Cmo
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 2:55pm
I'll havta' quit my rebuilding services and seek these folks out. What am I killin' myself for? Like Mo said, not saying they didn't do a good job, but my cost for parts is a heck of a lot more  than $85. bucks, not including my labor and whatever else I find in the unit that may be borderline, have failed or cooked. And not counting the new or rewound arm that I put in our units either. Then there's my time on the 881 machine to put them through their tests to make sure they surpass specs as well as my expectations. There's quite a bit of time involved from start to finish on these units.... Sheesh!  
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
orangereborn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangereborn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by CrestonM CrestonM wrote:

If you're just using the B for small jobs and don't want those extra rear wheel centers, hit me up!
Yes, Ken bolted on the weights so I/we didn't have to lift'em....Dale
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangereborn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by Hubnut Hubnut wrote:

Gary,
Nice looking B.  If it's anything like the parts Kenny sends me, it's perfect!  I've received primo parts from him over the past year or so.  Good man to deal with.   I've been wanting to get over Kenny's way for a while now.  Who did you use to haul? 
Steve
Hubnut....Put gettin over to see Ken on the top of your "bucket list." Nice gentleman....Dale
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangereborn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by GaryL GaryL wrote:

I received a message from the hauler a while ago.  My B is loaded and on the way to its new home.  I suspect it will be later tonight when he arrives.

*******I got flagged over here by someone that wanted to know where to get parts for a "B."  I was about 2 miles from Ken's and ended up they lived across the lake from each other.  Apparently they don't fish the same hot spots...Dale

Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 4:32pm
Dale is talkin about a guy named Jessie that saw Garys B on the trailer as he was leaving here. Jess has  a broke AC that needs parts. 
Dale gave him my number and he called. He has a Japanese 5020 diesel that needs the steering sector gears to make it whole again. I found the parts from Sandy Lake . Not new. Used but good for a good bit of money. I saw Jess today and he saved up enough to get the gear set if Sandy Lake still has them.   
   Finding parts for a B is a whole lots easier and cheap compared to a 5020.

The set of used tires under the B were sold to a guy in Wisconsin. Dale got the job of haulin them home for the fella that bought them.

If yiou need haulin Dale is the MAN

I think It was putting on the wheel weights that broke my back.  I had to have vertebroplasty  surgery  right after the B left .

Edited by Ken in Texas - 02 Apr 2016 at 4:40pm
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 4:50pm
GaryL,  I am DELIGHTED to see that another running B that really looks good gets a good new home.
Keep in touch as to how it goes.
Thanks for keeping another of my favorites alive and well.
Good Luck!
Bill Long

ps:  So glad you got in touch with Ken.  He takes good care of B's.

Edited by Bill Long - 02 Apr 2016 at 7:24pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangereborn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by 45 turboa- 45 turboa- wrote:

Looks like a nice B that green thing up front is probably the only 2 cyl worth having I had a H jd once never again   Junk !
Look at it this way...that 530 went from northern MN to south of Houston TX to be with the other five family members I already took there.  You and I, "and that 185" are still stuck pick'en rocks and plowing snow....Dale  (your right, that "a" should not be there)Approve
GaryL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2016 at 12:44pm
Ordered a proper muffler for the B which included the brackets.  I picked it up after getting it ceramic coated and was greeted with this, today:

So, either I need a different hood, or I'm going to have to hack the hood to make this work.  Anyone have any suggestions?
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2016 at 1:08pm
Can't really tell from the photo is it not lined up or does it not fit through the hood? I was wondering of a mulfer shop could bend you a short adaptor pipe.
BenGiBoy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenGiBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2016 at 1:08pm
You probably need a hood with a 'thru-hood' muffler hole. If I remember right the 'thru-hood' mufflers hole is supposed to be 4", and the hole for the 'above-hood' muffler is 2.5". Or just get a little 'fabricating' practice....
'39 Model B
Tractors are cheaper than girls, remember that!
GaryL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2016 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by Dan73 Dan73 wrote:

Can't really tell from the photo is it not lined up or does it not fit through the hood? I was wondering of a mulfer shop could bend you a short adaptor pipe.
  The muffler won't fit through the hood.  In that figure picture, the muffler is resting atop the hood.

I got to thinking after I posted this.  As much as I hate to cut the hood I probably will for this muffler. 

Now, the other bad news is when I pulled the make-do exhaust pipe, I found there is water in the manifold.  I'm not too surprised considering the strength of recent stormed that have rolled through.

I have no idea if any of the exhaust valves are open, but I would expect that possibility.  Should I pull the manifold, drain it, and inspect cylinders for water?  I'm thinking that's the best course of action.
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2016 at 5:25pm
I would you don't want to hydro lock it. I would pull the plugs it will make a place to let the water out when it turns over.
GaryL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2016 at 5:29pm

I would you don't want to hydro lock it. I would pull the plugs it will make a place to let the water out when it turns over.

Ahh, great idea.  I have the hand crank, which will make the process a bit easier to control.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2016 at 6:18pm
Gary,
 Surprised it got that much water in there with the rain cap on?
If your going to cut the hood start small and make sure its in the right place to center the new pipe in the hood opening. Maybe mark the hood using the existing vertical pipe as the center to mark the offset from.
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
GaryL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2016 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by Sugarmaker Sugarmaker wrote:

Gary,
 Surprised it got that much water in there with the rain cap on?
If your going to cut the hood start small and make sure its in the right place to center the new pipe in the hood opening. Maybe mark the hood using the existing vertical pipe as the center to mark the offset from.
Regards,
 Chris

Actually, I was thinking of cutting the existing pipe down where it's even with the hood.  Then, I'll position the muffler on it so I can use a sharpie to mark a circle.  That will allow enough space around the muffler as well as get it properly centered. 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2016 at 7:31am
Gary,
That should do it!
Regards,
 Chris
GaryL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2016 at 5:22pm
Here we go.  Cut down the old pipe to get a rough idea how to align the muffler.  Set the muffler atop the hood and eyeballed everything.  Then, I traced a circle.

The air filter was interfering with my cutting, so I pulled it.  Then, I dropped the muffler in place and checked for spots I should trim some more.

Now, it's all bolted into place and the rain cap is snugged.

I pulled the spark plugs and hand cranked it for three full revolutions.  A massive amount of water shot out of the back cylinder, then one of the others.  I paused to check my work and realized the tractor was sitting cockeyed and noticed it had walked over the cement block I'm using for a wheel chock.  OOPS!  Popped it out of gear so it could roll back.  Turned it two more times to ensure as much water was out as possible before putting the plugs back into place.  I'm going to get some Marvel Mystery and dump down each cylinder before I spin it again a few more times.

I've also reinstalled the rebuilt starter with the nicely powder coated brush cover.

I blasted the carburetor at a friend's today with a mild abrasive.  The carb cleaned up great and we blew the snot out of it with compressed air.  I would have had the carb reassembled except I left the float at home. Angry

I'll get there in due time. Smile
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2016 at 5:34pm
The exaust looks good. Two little takeaway lessons first before you ever turn a tractor over double and triple check it is in neutral.   Walking over the block might seem almost funny with the plugs out but with the plugs in and the carb on it could well be your wife posting about how you are in the hospital or worse.   
I alway check even if I was trying to start the tractor walked away and came back with tools. It is just a habit now that I grab the shifter before the key everytime. The life you save will be your own.
Le enough preaching.   Second lesson is plug all the holes going into the motor when you walk away that means take some tape or a rag or both and cover that carb opening right now. Mice and chickmunks will climb in there with acorns for lunch if you don't trust me on this one found out the hard way with the air line off the carb for a while.

Good work on the mulfer. Just keep safe so we can all enjoy hearing about your progress and seeing the photo's.
GaryL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2016 at 5:58pm

The exaust looks good. Two little takeaway lessons first before you ever turn a tractor over double and triple check it is in neutral.   Walking over the block might seem almost funny with the plugs out but with the plugs in and the carb on it could well be your wife posting about how you are in the hospital or worse.   
I alway check even if I was trying to start the tractor walked away and came back with tools. It is just a habit now that I grab the shifter before the key everytime. The life you save will be your own.
Le enough preaching.   Second lesson is plug all the holes going into the motor when you walk away that means take some tape or a rag or both and cover that carb opening right now. Mice and chickmunks will climb in there with acorns for lunch if you don't trust me on this one found out the hard way with the air line off the carb for a while.

Good work on the mulfer. Just keep safe so we can all enjoy hearing about your progress and seeing the photo's.

I agree with you on all that.  I was wondering why turning it over was more difficult that I imagined.  Once I paused to asses the situation I noticed it was creeping over the block.  This is also why I have it parked on level ground and blocked *and* parked in gear.  Just in case someone comes by and tried to get cute and pop it out of gear.

As for the rest, the carb and air cleaner aren't mounted on the tractor, but I've dealt with enough old Volkswagens that I have had my share of vehicles packed with acorns and filler materiel. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic