This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mounted Corn Pickers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Don(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2012 at 7:57pm
Great pictures as always jim. Thanks!
Galatians 5:22-24

"I got a pig at home in a pen and corn to feed him on, All I need is a pretty little girl to feed him when I'm gone!"
Sponsored Links

JimIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2012 at 6:17pm
Ear corn does have its advantages and disadvantages.  We still put up a couple cribs and feed it to the dairy steeres.  Seems to work really well and we have some nice looking animals off of it. 

My Grandfather started picking with flat top WC and mounted corn harvestor he was able to get during the war.  When the WC was traded in the picker was put on the new WD.  In the early 60s he got a late 33 that was painted persian #2 and had the roller chain gathering chains.  We still have this unit.  In the late 70s we bought a New Idea and put that on the D17.  What a picker that was!  We finally wore that out a few years ago about the same time we quit milking.  We have had our neighbor pick for us with his IH 234.  That unit does a good job as well.  We did use my 190 for a few years and the video posted earlier is my video of my Dad runing the 190.  You dont loose any shelled corn with this one but doesnt have near the capacity of the New Idea.  I have picked some with my pull type corn harvestor as well.  One thing I noticed with the older pickers is if you pick in a light mist they do husk better!

Notice the A-C flare boards on the wagon

Last year I bought a pull type New Idea.  Hoping to get some pictures soon.
Jim

Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2012 at 3:22pm
I don't think we ever saw much improvment in milk production switching to shelled corn. We did however notice that it only took 1-2 days to fil the silo instead of 1-2 weeks. ;) I like the 2 weeks better. 2 row NI picker with a 12 roll husking bed pulled with the powershift JD 4020.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2012 at 8:40am
When I had calves, I ran ear corn through a burr mill. Last batch of Angus-Holsteins I had, the butcher said he had never seen a more perfectly marbled mess of meat before. And it tasted great tooTongue
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2012 at 8:02am
Always thought the cob gave a little extra roughage in the cows diet... and it would go back to the field as processed fertilizer. 
  Higher the protein and more pushing for production, the more the vet is out too. - Neighbor quit feeding for top production from his cows and went back to feeding more dry hay and grazing. The vet asked him one day in town if everything was alright since he hadn't been called in a long time.  Modern day ideas sometimes don't pay in the long run...LOL

Edited by JC(WI) - 28 Sep 2012 at 8:03am
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2012 at 7:15am
Great story, I always love reading the stories you guys post, and I always loved picking corn for about 2-3 years until we started feeding the milk cows shelled corn.
Dave in il View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in il Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2012 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by KGood KGood wrote:

Seems like alot of people had an IH picker at one time. But I didn't notice anybody have one still running. Were they cheap and disposable?

IH was number 1 in tractor sales so they were probably number one in picker sales too. I don't think any pickers were cheap and the concept of disposable equipment hadn't arrived yet. The self propelled combine and shelled corn drying killed pickers in general and pull type pickers were the nails in the mounted picker coffin.
AGCO My Allis Gleaner Company
Wingnut87 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wingnut87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2012 at 6:31pm
Here are a couple videos!

[TUBE]http://youtu.be/zNbV2JuUEzE[/TUBE]

[TUBE]http://youtu.be/F4F_5ky4_q8[/TUBE]
Don(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2012 at 1:00pm
JC,

that has got to be the best corn pickin story I have ever read! Thanks!

And dipstick, the dog is always on full throttle, never runs his batteries down! LOL

"I got a pig at home in a pen and corn to feed him on, All I need is a pretty little girl to feed him when I'm gone!"
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2012 at 11:39am
" WC was too fast and he called the AC a sunshine picker. He says if it was damp out you couldn't go but the 33 didn't shell while the F20 and IH picker left yellow streaks in the field"
Even the WD was to fast with 13.6x28 tires on it. 12.4 tires were better.  The WD45 was slowed down enough to handle the capacity of the picker. 
  I always figured it was not a green stalk picker because of the wrapping but if the corn was dead ripe,  it would go even in the damp.
 Twentyfive or so + years back. Dad and I were trying to finish up picking corn and it was a damp day all day, dark and gray.
  Dad picked while I was doin morning chores and he filled the wagons. When I got done, I went and unloaded the wagons and about noon I crawled on the tractor and Dad unloaded wagons till chore time. Then we switched while I milked the cows and fed. After dark, must of been around 7:30 I got back to the field and back on the tractor. Nephews came and helped dad unload wagons for awhile.  No longer was it just damp, it was misting and longer into the night the more mist we we had ...and more mud on the tires.
  I remember picking the last two rows with the old LP gas WD  and 33 picker watching the stalks dissappear in the head lights while I was huddled over the steering wheel and shivering, wet prenuir clear thru and two miles from home.
 At around 2-2:30AM Dad had come back to see how I was doing. They had stopped unloading 4 wagons earlier...  cuzz what was left would fit on the last wagon...and it was full too. He asked if we should leave the outfit since we were two miles from home and I said no, and he handed me his warm jacket and I crawled on the picker and headed out while he crawled into the pickup where there was heat.   Pulled into the yard and unhooked the wagon and put the old picker tractor into the shed and shut it off, Gauge on the tank read 10%... any longer in the field, I wouldn't have made it home. Nice and quiet even with the heavier drizzle, which was almost a rain.  Went to the house and got the wet clothes off and into dry ones and stood in front of the heater for awhile and finally crawled into bed, it was 3 AM... Awoke at 6:30 and looked out... EGADS! There was 2 ft of snow on the ground ...WET snow..  and the snow stayed the rest of the winter.    We sure were glad that we got done picken, and beating the weather... And the picker didn't break down somewhere during the day making it possible.
Dipstick In View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dipstick In Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2012 at 9:52am
Ouch! Dale, and that probably wont be fun taking the picker off of a non-running tractor. Good luck!
KGood, money was so tight back in the day that most guys had to run equipment until it was about totally worn out and fit only for the scrap yards. Often a similar machine was purchased and parts were robbed from the worn out pile.
DonMi, have you turned off the headlights on your dog yet? He might run his battery down!  LOL
You don't really have to be smart if you know who is!
Dale H. ECIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale H. ECIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2012 at 9:23am
I have a WD with a 33 mounted picker on it. My son feeds  25-30 head of steers out a year so he wanted ear corn for them, he has a mixer grinder. We have planted about 12 acres of corn in wide rows for several years on my farm for him. The WD has done a good job over the years but last year Matt bought a 2 row NI pull type picker for a back-up. Good thing he did, last Sat. we were picking his corn and the old WD decided to put a rod through the block!! This will be a winter job we were not planning for.
Allis Chalmers Museum, Paris, Il.http:// www.allischalmersmuseum.com 217-275-3428
KGood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KGood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2012 at 8:54am
Seems like alot of people had an IH picker at one time. But I didn't notice anybody have one still running. Were they cheap and disposable?
Don(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2012 at 7:58am

Check out that picker picture in the link below!! A pickin and a grinnin!!

For those interested, this link below is to a forum for old corn pickers. Good stuff!

Edited by Don(MI) - 27 Sep 2012 at 8:00am

Don(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2012 at 9:18am
Jim, I bet the 190 was warmer!
I would think the 33 would be dirtier? Seems low, and the fans are blowin down right under your feet, might have a back draft up on the driver?

The 190 looks like its even tighter to get on!

Don(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2012 at 9:14am

Dang, I would like to maybe pick a load with the 33 now! Will have to see, gramps has 30" rows. Not sure how the 33 would handle that, might have to lift the snouts all the way up so the stalk could bend?

NEJim View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEJim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2012 at 8:53am
I've had both pickers, 33 and 190, I liked the 33 better because the 190 the operator sits right down in the dirt and it was so noisey with the chains running on both sides of you.  Also the 33 did a better job of husking.  The only drawback  was the 33 didn't have the capacity the 190 had but the 190 was alot warmer to run because you got the heat off the engine.  I kinda miss them days until I get in the cab of the combine and turn the heater on.  I guess it's "old age".
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2012 at 8:11am
That WD is sure moving along.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2012 at 7:37am
[TUBE]gI_EPW3P3L8&feature=player_detailpage[/TUBE]
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2012 at 7:34am
[TUBE]n-BaOkbMfQE&feature=player_detailpage[/TUBE]
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2012 at 7:33am
Here are 2 corn picking videos.
[TUBE]83V-CO5AZ-0&feature=player_detailpage[/TUBE] 
[TUBE]DDb6ipNYhuQ&feature=player_detailpage[/TUBE]

Jim Lindemood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Lindemood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2012 at 6:41am
They turn the tractor into one mean looking machine -- like the way they look.
Would seem to be hard to put on and take off --- 20 years of practice would probably help, LOL..
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2012 at 6:18am
We had a 2MH ,IH picker mounted on a 560 gas that we picked with until we found a good used M tractor and left the picker on year around. We finally bought a New Idea Mounted Superpicker with the 12 roll husking bed. That was a picker!We did not leave it on year around because it was easy to mount ,the hardest job was getting the tractor wheels slid on the axle. We should have had a Allis with roll shift wheels. The IH 2MH picker was a pain to mount,my Dad would get the tractor ready and then when I was home from school on Saturday we would mount the picker.We eventually bought a Uni Harvester with a 4 row head and husking unit and could not keep up unloading corn from that !
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2012 at 5:42am
Dad had both an F20 with IH picker and a WC/WD with a 33 picker. The F20 never had the picker removed but he says he got pretty good at taking the 33 off. He claims 15 or 20 minutes to take it off or put it on. The IH had better capacity and the F20 would drive slow enough while the WC was too fast and he called the AC a sunshine picker. He says if it was damp out you couldn't go but the 33 didn't shell while the F20 and IH picker left yellow streaks in the field. He also said if you had down corn the 33 would get under the stalks and get it picked better than the IH. At any rate he was tickled to get his E Gleaner back in the mid 70's after a shed fire burned his WC and picker. He bought a MM pull type to pick some for feed and a few years later bought an Oliver pull type that was in better shape. If anybody wants these for near scrape price they are still on the farm. The MM and Oliver that is.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2012 at 10:49pm
Wet fields... we could get thru the wet fields better with the mounted picker than we could with the pull type.. and when it was really muddy, we had a pusher tractor with about 16 feet a chain, that way you could push the picker till it got goin and then if the pusher was stuck, it would get pulled out by the chain.... but that was on those older flat rack wagons with sides and ends on them.
KenBWisc View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KenBWisc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2012 at 9:36am
If you mount it every year for 20 years you get faster! 
'34 WC #629, '49 G, '49 B, '49 WD, '62 D-19, '38 All Crop 60 and still hunting!
427435 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 427435 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by WC7610 WC7610 wrote:

Looks good Don.  I'm always wondering why all the other brands of pickers had so much "high tin" and why they needed all that when I look at an AC picker which is "low profile".

As another poster noted, the New Idea pickers did a much better job of husking the corn due to longer or more husking rolls.  The AC mounted picker had a rather small husking area.  That "high" sheet metal hid a much bigger husking area on the other pickers.

My Dad had a 2M IH picker on an M in the early 50's and "opened" a lot of the neighbor's fields.  Later, a 2ME picker and finally a combine and corn head.  It was a good day's work for Dad and I to put that picker on and take it off, however.  Dad was share cropping with my Grandfather (1/3 and 2/3) and he would divide the fields into 10 row and 20 row sections and pick and crib them individually based on whose corn it was.
Mark

B10 Allis, 917 Allis, 7116 Simplicity, 7790 Simplicity Diesel,
GTH-L Simplicity

Ignorance is curable-----stupidity is not.
Dean/MN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean/MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 9:47pm
We had a 2MH IH picker on a Farmall M for many years then, we got a 234 IH that was on a Case 830. We always left them on the tractor as we had plenty of extra ones to do the rest of the work. As was already mentioned the worst part was when you had a wet fall it was hard to get through the wet spots. There's a lot of weight on the tractor and can go down like a boat anchor if your not careful. 
HD16,917H,185,7050,8030FWA,8050FWA
Dipstick In View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dipstick In Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 9:32pm
Randy we had fun today! Thanks for giving me a heads-up call yesterday. Kyle, Eric Clarks son, said he wished he had a chance to run a picker. Pop said , well there's next year! Eric was cussin' himself for not reading the newsletter, because he would have brought our buddy Darrell's pull type Oliver behind his D-17.   Oh well, there's next year! LOL
You don't really have to be smart if you know who is!
Rfdeere View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rfdeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by WC7610 WC7610 wrote:

Looks good Don.  I'm always wondering why all the other brands of pickers had so much "high tin" and why they needed all that when I look at an AC picker which is "low profile".

Actually, Allis Chalmers moved to that design also :

Randy Freshour,Member Indiana AC Partners,
http://www.rumelyallis.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic