This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ideas for tool storage on a tractor?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Don(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ideas for tool storage on a tractor?
    Posted: 07 May 2012 at 9:11pm
Ah charlie, shes just 'showin her the ropes' around her new playground! lol
Galatians 5:22-24

"I got a pig at home in a pen and corn to feed him on, All I need is a pretty little girl to feed him when I'm gone!"
Sponsored Links

CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 9:05pm
Don, it looks like the Old Girl has to pull the young chick around.LOL
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Don(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 8:36pm
Not a great picture, but check out the mailbox toolbox on this WC i just picked up! Thought about this post, funny its around again!! Guess you could say, this WC is so fast it can carry the mail! lol I kinda like it though, big toolbox.

"I got a pig at home in a pen and corn to feed him on, All I need is a pretty little girl to feed him when I'm gone!"
Geppy View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geppy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 2:55pm
Great topic, gave me some good ideas for tools on my WD. I was just thinking about this yesterday!!!

Thanks
LionelinKY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LionelinKY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 2:50pm
Dad always had mounted tool boxes on main tractors' frame rails. Bracket bolted to frame rails. Toolbox could be removed by pulling single pin. Easier than running back to tractor when working on whatever was in tow. Tools were for implement repairs as tractors were mostly AC but equipment mostly off color.
You can see the toolbox bracket bolted to the frame in between the tank heater and the grease gun rack(holds 3 guns).

"THE CAT" with her tool box still mounted to her side. Still full of rivets,knife sections,rivet tool,guards from her days mowing hay. Dad mowed all the hay-we baled 25,000 bales a year to fill our barn for the dairy herd.
"My name is Lionel and I'm an Allisoholic"
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 12:53am
the second step up on my 7080 has the tool box mounted as part of the step, the lid/step opens upward. almost looks factory, maybe they were offered that way new??? it's deep, but doesn't hamper stepping up into the ab!
D17 owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D17 owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 10:11pm
The one on my 17 is big enough for me the all three tractors are just factory ones. We don't run any JD stuff so I gess we dont need much for tools on board Thumbs Up! On a side note I built a tool box on my wood hauler for the saw, gas, oil and box I have for the chain saw parts, like files weges and hammer. The bottom has a crusher screen in it so if the oil or gas spills it dont make a mess.
allismanamp View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allismanamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 8:57pm
i think that someone with the right tools could fab up a nice foot step plus tool box that was all in one and able to be fastened to preexisting holes on the tractor platforms already i seen some homeade steps that were nice and low and had plenty of material on the back side to attach a box or make the bottom step the box and have it hinge open like a 18" by 6" box slash step for a CA Allis but i will say the nicest boxes are the one made out of the seats for a b, and c, seats they hold a lot although i have bad memories of fingers getting slammed in the seat when rounding wrenches up not paying attention Angry dad had that early b that had a big steel seat with a box under it it had arm rests and looked factory with all the spot welds and machine brakes in it sat up about 4 inches higher as well. have not seen a similar seat since any one seen one like this??????????
~AMP~
Murph-NC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murph-NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 7:55pm
Yeah, won't be needing to do that til I get a chance to restore my #3 mower.  At my current pace, that may have to wait til my kids are grown in a dozen or so years. Until then, I'll have a nice place to store all my pins and such.
'41 C w/Woods L503 mower, #3 mower, 2-way plows for C
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 7:13pm
Oh no, how you gonna hook up the remote cylinder nowSmile
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Murph-NC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murph-NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 1:20pm
And I added this orange ammo-box style plastic tool box from Northern Tool yesterday.  Not the perfect shade of orange, but close enough... it's probably more correct than the whole tractor was painted.  It was less than $12 shipped to the store.  I had to add a cut out to clear the hydraulic port. 

Murph-NC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murph-NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2012 at 9:41pm
Thanks for all the input guys.  Here's what I came up with.  It's not real pretty, but it does everything I need it to, and it's easy to remove.

jon View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 11:30am
We had a C that I had put two old grain binder tool boxes on and then used a seat cushion from a John Deere to sit on , fit real nice.  With those tool boxes you also had a can holder.  On the D series there is a style of tool box that has a mounting rail that bolts to the side rail and you pull a pin from inside the tool box to remove.  Works nice when you need more tools to fix the equipment.  Sorry, no pictures.
Kev Card View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kev Card Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 7:59am
Originally posted by Kev Card Kev Card wrote:

dad built a a box about 3 inches deep and fastened the  new seat cushion on to on our C it works good for lots of small items .
  I stoped at the tractor shed this morning on my way home from work here are a couple of shots of the tool box dad built under the seat cusion on the C . Kev 
RC,WC,2 C'S,WD45,185 ,618 LT

If it's orange and rusty Mary don't trust me
GBACBFan View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBACBFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 5:54pm
Here's storage space being used under a B seat. It can be improved a bit, but the idea's pretty good.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine." - Mark Twain
Don(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 5:51pm
Pulled the G in today, to do some brake maintenance and carb work on her.

The previous owner put this toolbox on, with brackets coming from the bottom of the gas tank, and the PTO cover. Works great.

Thought about your post Murph, and snapped a quick picture.

TedBuiskerN.IL. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TedBuiskerN.IL. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 10:53am
I keep a wheel wrench and handle, hammer, channel lock pliers, 10 inch crecent wrench, 3/4 combination wrench, 9/16 combination wrench, multitip screwdriver, and several large plastic wire ties in my tractor tool boxes, plus an extra drawbar pin.  I also have anything that the particular tractor may need, such as an extra spark plug and wrench if it has a tendency to foul a plug now and then.  This will usually fit in the standard tool box.
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of high explosives.
BiG210 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BiG210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 9:41am
Old type mail box that the top opens work great big enough for book of wrenches and top has slant so dirt slides off and rain out
EdK View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 9:41am
EdK View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 9:40am
I purchased an inexpensive tool box from an on line source, Ag Supply, I think, and mounted on the outside of the right side fender of my model C. Nice thing the supplied brackets can be mounted with the existing fender bolts. A second could be added on the other side if necessary.

stray View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 9:14am

This is one that came on my 190XT it also had the orignal infront of the fuel tank and under the seat

Edited by stray - 22 Jan 2012 at 9:15am
1969 190XT series 3
BobHnwO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobHnwO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 7:15am
Water proof ammo box.
Why do today what you can put off til tomorrow.
Chuck(ONT) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuck(ONT) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 7:06am
There are two pics for you, the one on the 45 is sitting on 2 L brackets.
Never take life too seriously.

Nobody gets out alive anyway!

1C 1 WD45 1 AC180
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuck(ONT) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 7:03am

1C 1 WD45 1 AC180
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuck(ONT) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 7:01am

1C 1 WD45 1 AC180
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 11:46pm
My MF-135 with flat topped fenders came with a removable tool box mounted on the right fender top. When it rusted through, I found a box with the same mount at Central Tractor (now Valu-bilt). I don't find that box there today, but they have three varriations on a mountable box, one painted blue, one in primer and one painted AC orange for D series tractors they say.

The weight of the tools was hard on the fender and its mounts when working ground with plow and disk and broke fender braces to make the fender wobbly. I've since used the mounts for planter monitor or for sprayer controls and don't get out of sight of the machine shed and quit carrying tools on the tractor. When planting I might toss some in an insecticide box of the planter since I'm not using those.

Had there been a side rail on the MF-135 it would have been a better place for a tool box, though the box would get more mud tossed it from the tires there than on top the fender. Many a working tractor without cab has a tool box on one or the other side rail.

Gerald J.
427435 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 427435 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by Unit3 Unit3 wrote:

Dad mounted old ammo boxes on about everything. The Hugger and the 8000 flexhead have them as well.

X2

Edited by 427435 - 21 Jan 2012 at 11:31pm
Mark

B10 Allis, 917 Allis, 7116 Simplicity, 7790 Simplicity Diesel,
GTH-L Simplicity

Ignorance is curable-----stupidity is not.
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 10:43pm
pics....pics....more pics...I WANNA SEE PICS!!!
Murph-NC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murph-NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 8:35pm
Yeah, ammo boxes are common, but I'm thinking more along the lines of what Lonnie described.  Maybe not big enough for a chain saw, but at least some limb loppers, an axe, hand saw, sledge, etc.  Darrel, I know what you mean... I plan to make it easy to remove when not needed or when I want the tractor to look original.
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 7:27pm
I know that tool boxes are a very practical thing to have, and probably a bare necessity, but I have a problem with them giving a tractor an "unrefined" look. Maybe I'm too fussy. Darrel
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic