Ideas for tool storage on a tractor?

Printed From: Unofficial Allis
Category: Allis Chalmers
Forum Name: Farm Equipment
Forum Description: everything about Allis-Chalmers farm equipment
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=44201
Printed Date: 05 May 2024 at 1:12am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Ideas for tool storage on a tractor?
Posted By: Murph-NC
Subject: Ideas for tool storage on a tractor?
Date Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 1:58pm

I'd love to see photos of what you all have come up with to store your tools on your tractors.  The B/C/CA toolbox won't hold many of the items I'd like to have with me when I'm tinkering around the farm.  I've got something in mind that would mount similar to how the side engine weights mount, but I thought I'd see what all you guys have come up with first.  Thanks in advance.

-------------
'41 C w/Woods L503 mower, #3 mower, 2-way plows for C

Replies:
Posted By: MNLonnie
Date Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 2:39pm
The old guy behind me has a box on the side of his B like what you're thinking about. It works great for him, even enough room for his chainsaw and gas can.

-------------
Waukesha B, B, IB, G, styled WF, D15, 615 backhoe, 2-Oliver OC3's, 4 Ford Model T's, 3 Model A Fords, AV8 Coupe, AV8 Roadster, 1933 Ford Wrecker

Posted By: Dale
Date Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 4:56pm
This is an excellent topic. I want to do the same on all my equipment. I hate running to get basic tools all the time. What a waste of time and energy. Pics of successful ideas would be great.

Posted By: CTuckerNWIL
Date Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 5:18pm
I've often thought about making a rock box for the front of the CA to mount in the cultivator bracket. You could haul log chain and a lot of other stuff and have a front adjustable weight if you need it.

-------------
http://www.ae-ta.com" rel="nofollow - http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF

Posted By: Unit3
Date Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 5:37pm
Dad mounted old ammo boxes on about everything. The Hugger and the 8000 flexhead have them as well.

Posted By: Dakota Dave
Date Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 5:43pm
I carry a sparkplug wrench one sparkplug  a slip joint pliers, cresent wrench . screw driver and a hammer. all fits in the tool box. I have the same thing in each tractor. to get a big enough hammer to be any use on the C and CA I had to cut a couple inches off the handle.

Posted By: Kev Card
Date Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 5:51pm
dad built a a box about 3 inches deep and fastened the  new seat cushion on to on our C it works good for lots of small items .

-------------
RC,WC,2 C'S,WD45,185 ,618 LT

If it's orange and rusty Mary don't trust me

Posted By: 1953CA
Date Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 6:48pm
I've got the same tool box, like on the Wd-45 and D-series mounted on the front cultivator bosses on the CA...

-------------
1945 AllisCletrac / 1948 "B" / 1953 "CA" / 1955 "WD-45" / 1963 "D-15 Series II"           

"No Air Support without Ground Support"

Posted By: Stan R
Date Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 6:48pm
Ammo box behind the right side hydraulic controls on a D17 IV

Posted By: darrel in ND
Date Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 7:27pm
I know that tool boxes are a very practical thing to have, and probably a bare necessity, but I have a problem with them giving a tractor an "unrefined" look. Maybe I'm too fussy. Darrel

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 8:35pm
Yeah, ammo boxes are common, but I'm thinking more along the lines of what Lonnie described.  Maybe not big enough for a chain saw, but at least some limb loppers, an axe, hand saw, sledge, etc.  Darrel, I know what you mean... I plan to make it easy to remove when not needed or when I want the tractor to look original.

-------------

Posted By: SHAMELESS
Date Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 10:43pm
pics....pics....more pics...I WANNA SEE PICS!!!

Posted By: 427435
Date Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by Unit3 Unit3 wrote:

Dad mounted old ammo boxes on about everything. The Hugger and the 8000 flexhead have them as well.

X2

-------------
Mark

B10 Allis, 917 Allis, 7116 Simplicity, 7790 Simplicity Diesel,
GTH-L Simplicity

Ignorance is curable-----stupidity is not.

Posted By: Gerald J.
Date Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 11:46pm
My MF-135 with flat topped fenders came with a removable tool box mounted on the right fender top. When it rusted through, I found a box with the same mount at Central Tractor (now Valu-bilt). I don't find that box there today, but they have three varriations on a mountable box, one painted blue, one in primer and one painted AC orange for D series tractors they say.

The weight of the tools was hard on the fender and its mounts when working ground with plow and disk and broke fender braces to make the fender wobbly. I've since used the mounts for planter monitor or for sprayer controls and don't get out of sight of the machine shed and quit carrying tools on the tractor. When planting I might toss some in an insecticide box of the planter since I'm not using those.

Had there been a side rail on the MF-135 it would have been a better place for a tool box, though the box would get more mud tossed it from the tires there than on top the fender. Many a working tractor without cab has a tool box on one or the other side rail.

Gerald J.

Posted By: Chuck(ONT)
Date Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 7:01am

-------------
Never take life too seriously.

Nobody gets out alive anyway!

1C 1 WD45 1 AC180

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 7:03am

-------------

1C 1 WD45 1 AC180

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 7:06am
There are two pics for you, the one on the 45 is sitting on 2 L brackets.

-------------

1C 1 WD45 1 AC180

Posted By: BobHnwO
Date Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 7:15am
Water proof ammo box.

-------------
Why do today what you can put off til tomorrow.

Posted By: stray
Date Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 9:14am

This is one that came on my 190XT it also had the orignal infront of the fuel tank and under the seat

-------------
1969 190XT series 3

Posted By: EdK
Date Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 9:40am
I purchased an inexpensive tool box from an on line source, Ag Supply, I think, and mounted on the outside of the right side fender of my model C. Nice thing the supplied brackets can be mounted with the existing fender bolts. A second could be added on the other side if necessary.

Posted By: EdK
Date Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 9:41am

Posted By: BiG210
Date Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 9:41am
Old type mail box that the top opens work great big enough for book of wrenches and top has slant so dirt slides off and rain out

Posted By: TedBuiskerN.IL.
Date Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 10:53am
I keep a wheel wrench and handle, hammer, channel lock pliers, 10 inch crecent wrench, 3/4 combination wrench, 9/16 combination wrench, multitip screwdriver, and several large plastic wire ties in my tractor tool boxes, plus an extra drawbar pin.  I also have anything that the particular tractor may need, such as an extra spark plug and wrench if it has a tendency to foul a plug now and then.  This will usually fit in the standard tool box.

-------------
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of high explosives.

Posted By: Don(MI)
Date Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 5:51pm
Pulled the G in today, to do some brake maintenance and carb work on her.

The previous owner put this toolbox on, with brackets coming from the bottom of the gas tank, and the PTO cover. Works great.

Thought about your post Murph, and snapped a quick picture.

-------------
Galatians 5:22-24

"I got a pig at home in a pen and corn to feed him on, All I need is a pretty little girl to feed him when I'm gone!"

Posted By: GBACBFan
Date Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 5:54pm
Here's storage space being used under a B seat. It can be improved a bit, but the idea's pretty good.

-------------
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine." - Mark Twain

Posted By: Kev Card
Date Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 7:59am
Originally posted by Kev Card Kev Card wrote:

dad built a a box about 3 inches deep and fastened the  new seat cushion on to on our C it works good for lots of small items .
  I stoped at the tractor shed this morning on my way home from work here are a couple of shots of the tool box dad built under the seat cusion on the C . Kev 

-------------
RC,WC,2 C'S,WD45,185 ,618 LT

If it's orange and rusty Mary don't trust me

Posted By: jon
Date Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 11:30am
We had a C that I had put two old grain binder tool boxes on and then used a seat cushion from a John Deere to sit on , fit real nice.  With those tool boxes you also had a can holder.  On the D series there is a style of tool box that has a mounting rail that bolts to the side rail and you pull a pin from inside the tool box to remove.  Works nice when you need more tools to fix the equipment.  Sorry, no pictures.

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2012 at 9:41pm
Thanks for all the input guys.  Here's what I came up with.  It's not real pretty, but it does everything I need it to, and it's easy to remove.

-------------

Date Posted: 06 May 2012 at 1:20pm
And I added this orange ammo-box style plastic tool box from Northern Tool yesterday.  Not the perfect shade of orange, but close enough... it's probably more correct than the whole tractor was painted.  It was less than $12 shipped to the store.  I had to add a cut out to clear the hydraulic port. 

-------------

Date Posted: 06 May 2012 at 7:13pm
Oh no, how you gonna hook up the remote cylinder nowSmile

-------------

Date Posted: 06 May 2012 at 7:55pm
Yeah, won't be needing to do that til I get a chance to restore my #3 mower.  At my current pace, that may have to wait til my kids are grown in a dozen or so years. Until then, I'll have a nice place to store all my pins and such.

-------------

Posted By: allismanamp
Date Posted: 06 May 2012 at 8:57pm
i think that someone with the right tools could fab up a nice foot step plus tool box that was all in one and able to be fastened to preexisting holes on the tractor platforms already i seen some homeade steps that were nice and low and had plenty of material on the back side to attach a box or make the bottom step the box and have it hinge open like a 18" by 6" box slash step for a CA Allis but i will say the nicest boxes are the one made out of the seats for a b, and c, seats they hold a lot although i have bad memories of fingers getting slammed in the seat when rounding wrenches up not paying attention Angry dad had that early b that had a big steel seat with a box under it it had arm rests and looked factory with all the spot welds and machine brakes in it sat up about 4 inches higher as well. have not seen a similar seat since any one seen one like this??????????

-------------
~AMP~

Posted By: D17 owner
Date Posted: 06 May 2012 at 10:11pm
The one on my 17 is big enough for me the all three tractors are just factory ones. We don't run any JD stuff so I gess we dont need much for tools on board Thumbs Up! On a side note I built a tool box on my wood hauler for the saw, gas, oil and box I have for the chain saw parts, like files weges and hammer. The bottom has a crusher screen in it so if the oil or gas spills it dont make a mess.

Posted By: SHAMELESS
Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 12:53am
the second step up on my 7080 has the tool box mounted as part of the step, the lid/step opens upward. almost looks factory, maybe they were offered that way new??? it's deep, but doesn't hamper stepping up into the ab!

Posted By: LionelinKY
Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 2:50pm
Dad always had mounted tool boxes on main tractors' frame rails. Bracket bolted to frame rails. Toolbox could be removed by pulling single pin. Easier than running back to tractor when working on whatever was in tow. Tools were for implement repairs as tractors were mostly AC but equipment mostly off color.
You can see the toolbox bracket bolted to the frame in between the tank heater and the grease gun rack(holds 3 guns).

"THE CAT" with her tool box still mounted to her side. Still full of rivets,knife sections,rivet tool,guards from her days mowing hay. Dad mowed all the hay-we baled 25,000 bales a year to fill our barn for the dairy herd.

-------------
"My name is Lionel and I'm an Allisoholic"

Posted By: Geppy
Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 2:55pm
Great topic, gave me some good ideas for tools on my WD. I was just thinking about this yesterday!!!

Thanks

Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 8:36pm
Not a great picture, but check out the mailbox toolbox on this WC i just picked up! Thought about this post, funny its around again!! Guess you could say, this WC is so fast it can carry the mail! lol I kinda like it though, big toolbox.

-------------

"I got a pig at home in a pen and corn to feed him on, All I need is a pretty little girl to feed him when I'm gone!"

Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 9:05pm
Don, it looks like the Old Girl has to pull the young chick around.LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 9:11pm
Ah charlie, shes just 'showin her the ropes' around her new playground! lol

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net