This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DEALERS IN NY

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike 44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DEALERS IN NY
    Posted: 16 Dec 2011 at 6:49am
... IAM NOT SURE IF THIS HAS BEEN ASKED BEFORE BUT ANYONE KNOW WERE THE AC DEALERS WERE IN NEW YORK BACK IN THE DAY?? I KNOW UP HERE IN WNY THERE WAS ONE IN FILLMORE BUT THAT HAS SINCE CLOSED. ONE IN PERRY THAT IS STILL OPEN AND ALEXANDER I BELIVE WAS AN AC DEALERSHIP.... THATS 3 RITE AROUND HERE BUT YET ITS NOT A REAL BIG ALLIS AREA... THERE IS ALOT OF BLUE RED AND GREEN....
Sponsored Links

Chris/CT View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris/CT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2011 at 7:33am
Midway Farm Equipment was a dealer in Eastern NY. Started out as Ancram Farm Supply I think. Owner is semi-retired, whenever I'm confused, he educates me!
EarlsGrandson View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EarlsGrandson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2011 at 3:51pm
Don't remember the name of the place, but I remember the sticker on my Grandpa's 185 was from a dealer in Medina.
Longmeadow Farm View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longmeadow Farm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2011 at 4:58pm
RE: Mike 44

I don't want to start an argument but
Herford is spelled Hereford and Linisine is spelled Limosin at least in North America. I crossed Hereford with Limosin a few years back... worst decision I could have made for a grass-fed-finished beef business.  They are not compatible breeds for cross breeding unless you grain finish.  Angus and Hereford work well together for grass finished...    

In eastern NY we had a considerable number of AC dealers in the eastern/mid Mohawk Valley region.. to name a few
Patternsonville Tractor
Urgo's equipment
Sharon Springs Garage 
Cobleskill Welding

All were known for their honesty and integrity. Sharon Springs is the only one left and they now concentrate on Kubota ... although they will be handling Massey... 

ACfarmboy24 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACfarmboy24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2011 at 7:28pm
I believe there was one on Greenway New London rd in Verona, NY back in the day I know it is a dealership called Warner Sales and Services and they specialize in Bobcat equipment.
captaindana View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2011 at 7:36pm
To add to Longmeadow, Flint's Garage in Cherry Valley, Cant remember the name near West Winfield, Snyder's Petroleum in Fort Plain, and LJ Marion in Palatine Bridge.
Kev Card View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kev Card Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2011 at 8:19pm
down here by the border we had Dann's in Horseheads NY and Stewarts in Lindley NY both gone for many years now
RC,WC,2 C'S,WD45,185 ,618 LT

If it's orange and rusty Mary don't trust me
Roger A. NY View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger A. NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2011 at 9:49pm
In central NY; Locke, was Atwaters, long sice gone, in Auburn was Main & Pickney (not sure of their present status) and Cooks in DeRuyter, long since gone.  Seems like some more but my "remember" is pretty well shot!  Roger
HaroldOmaha View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HaroldOmaha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2011 at 10:10pm
Used to be a Komjathy's in Berne, N.Y. in the late 1950s, maybe early 60's. We bought a lot of Allis equipment.
                                 Harold
ToddSin NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ToddSin NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2011 at 12:04am
Roger: Main & Pickney is still in business. I beleave they now sell New Holland line.

In Newark there was Arcadia Oil.  In Canandaigua* it was Don Howard. In Phelps Donks had a dealership for a very short time after Arcadia oil went out of business.

Don Jr NY View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don Jr NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2011 at 6:11am
In Seneca Falls there was first Nothnagle & Pratz which changed to Pratz & MacGill and then to Salerno Farm Supply whom went out of business when A-C sold out. The original orange barn those dealers started out in still stands today on Rtes. 5 & 20 behind Fucillo Ford. In Auburn Main & Pinckney is still in business carrying New Holland as their main line but they are still an Agco parts dealer. Before it was Main & Pinckney it was known as Evans & Lind. In Newark there was Arcadia Oil as Todd said but before that it was known as Finewood Motors. As Todd also mentioned there was Donk's Farm Equipment in  Phelps. There was a dealer in North Cohocton known as Robert Miller Farm Equipment. In Canandaguia where the GOTO will be in August of 2013 there was a dealer known as Don Howard Farm Equipment. There was a dealer in Martville known as Kyle Farm Equipment. That is all I can think of for now.  Don Jr.
Roger A. NY View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger A. NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2011 at 8:31am
ToddS,  I thought that they may still be in bussiness.  I know that Elliot Main ( 1/2 of Main & Pickney) died with in the last couple of years.  I went to school with some of his older children.  He and his wife had quite a few kids.  Elliot used to work at Atwaters in Locke before he started M & P in Auburn.  Knew him and his family well.  Roger
8fan View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2011 at 9:31am
Probably about 20 years ago, I bought some used parts from Elliot. That was an experience. He had a little barn at his house, or some house. It was more of a garage. Anyway,, Elliot had gone blind. He brought along a younger guy who was kinda big, but never said anything. I told Elliot what I was looking for, and he got up into the shelves, and felt around, and said here is what you want, and he would be right. I asked him how much, and when I pulled out the money to pay him, the big guy would watch, I'm sure to make sure it was the right amount. I only met Elliot that one time, but he sure seemed like a real nice guy.
Jeff Z. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff  Z.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2011 at 9:41am
One of the early Allis Chalmers dealers in New York is still in business.
Max S. Wood Equipment on route 9W in Coxsackie, New York.
Started in 1935 as an Allis Chalmers dealer.
Is still an AGCO dealer.
I Love Meatballs and Dumplings on Toast with Gravy and Rosemary and ??? {Open For Suggestions}
gary ny View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gary ny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2011 at 9:45am
I can remember going to Chittenango farm supply when I was a kid and loading up on sales info on all the allis equpiment.I had stacks of it and my mom got rid of it .There was also Churches Allis dealership in baldwinsville .Stack equipment in rome .Deppolettis sold allis for a while in canastota. 
Jeff Z. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff  Z.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2011 at 9:52am
Mom's????????????????
My mom got rid of all of my reading material too!!!
I Love Meatballs and Dumplings on Toast with Gravy and Rosemary and ??? {Open For Suggestions}
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ToddSin NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2011 at 5:40pm
Don: I'm sorry but it was Arcadia Oil long before it was Finewood motors. My Mom and Dad bought a 1975 Plymouth Grand Fury III from them. I remember as a small child going into Arcadia Oil well before that.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ToddSin NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2011 at 5:42pm
Jeff Z. Who was the dealer on 146 south of Albany? When I was hauling cars out of Selkirk I stopped in there 1 day as they had an Allis baler for sale. Got to talking with the guy, who now works on cars, and he told me the history of the place. They still had some little parts and books along with the sales counter. It is south of 787.
agcodick View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agcodick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2011 at 9:59am
Here are a few that I know of

Alexander NY, still an Agco dealer

Kelly's garage in Perry, NY still and agco dealer

Burns equipment in Bath, NY. went out after Allis went out

Meartins motors in the buffalo area, was last and Agco Allis dealer

Dann's equipment in Elmira, NY. Went out in the late 80's

Robert Miller Co in Cohocton, NY. Now Empire tractor was one of NY's biggest dealers. Was Agco parts till about last year.

Fillmore Farm supply in Fillmoe, NY Was last an Agco Allis dealer

Tim in NY View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim in NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2011 at 10:28am
There's Tipple Equipment in Mellenville, NY still in business but no longer an Agco dealer. Also when I was a kid the farm up the road about a mile from ours was an AC dealer named Rock city Implement. I have a Series3 D17 with their dealership sticker on it. There were several other small dealerships in the hudson valley also as several farmers had small dealerships in their day. I've been able to pick a few over the years.
DaveC/CVNY View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveC/CVNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2011 at 2:46pm
Sharon Springs Garage was an Oliver Dealer before they sold Allis. There was L.S. Huntingtons in Westford that was an Allis dealer before Flints, my parents bought me a bar grill 190 toy from there in 1966 for $2.95 ( yes I have the sales receipt). There was also Hardy Hanson in Oneonta.
mike 44 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike 44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 9:10am
I crossed Hereford with Limosin a few years back... worst decision I could have made for a grass-fed-finished beef business.  They are not compatible breeds for cross breeding unless you grain finish.  Angus and Hereford work well together for grass finished...    
          been crossing herefords and Limousin (not Limosin) for years had nothing but success with them... I tried Angus a few years back and hated them (not a smart animal)..

thanks for all the info on the dealers there sure was alot back in the day should see more old orange stuff in the weeds.... of course alot has been junked since then
nyacdon View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nyacdon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 11:26pm
some dealers to add to the list in northern ny--in canton--dewey cornell which became hundley equipment which became don forsythe equipment which became john mcbath equipment which became ralph crandell and came to an end.in north bangor was debyah's--in evans mills was madison farrell--in the depauville area was glen johndrow--in castorland was roe's--in ogdensburg was john scott later spencer merry and in lafargeville and later still active in both canton and watertown waldroff equipment. i'm new to the forum but have been a visiter for quite some time.i grew up on a dairy farm in the morristown-ogdensburg area working with a farmall a which i started driving on a hayloader at the age of four but my real fun was two wc's--one of which was repowered with a 226 leroi--what a bombshell going from 27 to 50 horsepower turning 2100 plus rpm's--made a young fellow's eyes twinkle. enough for now gotta get a few winks to face tomorrow.
bigallis1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigallis1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2011 at 7:11am
Originally posted by mike 44 mike 44 wrote:

... IAM NOT SURE IF THIS HAS BEEN ASKED BEFORE BUT ANYONE KNOW WERE THE AC DEALERS WERE IN NEW YORK BACK IN THE DAY?? I KNOW UP HERE IN WNY THERE WAS ONE IN FILLMORE BUT THAT HAS SINCE CLOSED. ONE IN PERRY THAT IS STILL OPEN AND ALEXANDER I BELIVE WAS AN AC DEALERSHIP.... THATS 3 RITE AROUND HERE BUT YET ITS NOT A REAL BIG ALLIS AREA... THERE IS ALOT OF BLUE RED AND GREEN....

Mike,
When we had the GOTO in Canandaigua in '94, I put together an unofficial listing of Allis dealers in NYS. and had it displayed.  It included Lawn and Garden dealers also.
There were many dealers names added to the listing as the show progressed.
The final unofficial count was approximately 115.
I still have all the info but I can't get at it until April of next year.
A gentleman by the name of Robert Raycraft provided me with most of the names.
 Jim Hanna.........

Edited by bigallis1 - 22 Dec 2011 at 7:11am
agcodick View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agcodick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2011 at 12:17pm
Here are some scans of magazine ads I have found over the years. Its interesting to compare the Allis list to the Deutz list. This is an excellent way to find this kind of info. Any old implement and tractor and farm journal magazines have these lists in them.

Edited by agcodick - 22 Dec 2011 at 12:23pm
Randy MN View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 4:38pm
I was wondering if any one from eastern NY area would know if there ever was an AC dealership or store selling AC equipment in the small town of Berlin, NY? Thanks for any info.
34 WC #477, 38 B #1935, 1-116 on steel, #8 7ft dbl action disc, #9 5ft dbl action disc, 295 Chainsaw
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 6:54pm
Toddsin I think your talking about us

My grandfather sold willys cars first
Then he bought out a allis dealer up on 9w from Ed weisheit, our parts bins came from him and some of my he older parts. He also used to go up to the railroad in Selkirk and get tractors off the rail cars and bring them down to our yard for other dealers to pick up

Edited by Mikez - 12 Feb 2019 at 7:18pm
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 8:00pm
I can remember dad and gramp talk about komjethys in Berne, that's about 30min away from us. And also tipples in melenville, there across the river from us. And max woods is like 15min from us, we do a lot of business with them, they still are agco parts dealer. Like I said above Ed weisheit was an old dealer, I think they also sold Farmals, which I think our old Farmal regulars came from there, I'd have to ask dad
And ask him what others he remembers
HaroldOmaha View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HaroldOmaha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 10:36pm
Hey Mikez, I originally come from the Berne-Knox area where Komjathys were. I went to school with there daughter. I worked on a farm not to far from them. Bought a lot of Allis equip. from them. When I was younger about 1950, dad would take me there and Mrs. K would cut my hair.
Came to Omaha in the service, worked for several local farmers, and married a farmers daughter. Love it here.
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 10:42pm
Yea I remember you telling me few years ago about that. Interesting. If I think of it someday I'll take a picture of the building
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic