This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis Chalmers wd45 hand clutch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis Chalmers wd45 hand clutch
    Posted: 28 Apr 2024 at 1:29pm
I have finally gotten my wd45 working but when I try to engage the hand clutch nothing happens
I don't know what to do
Sponsored Links

EPALLIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPALLIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2024 at 1:43pm
I recall that happening to me about 25 years ago.  The pressure plate in the hand clutch housing broke in half and had to be replaced.  Hope that didn't happen to yours.  My 2 cents on the topic.
hunter321 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2024 at 1:51pm
How would I know if that the problem
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2024 at 2:51pm
Remove the battery box and then the cover underneath of the battery box and have a look to see what is or isn't working. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
hunter321 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2024 at 3:21pm
What am I looking for
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2024 at 3:41pm
You could do a better job of describing the problem so maybe you can get help.   When was the last time you were able to drive the tractor?? What have you done to the tractor since then??  Why do you think the hand clutch is the problem ?? Does the hand clutch lever feel normal and "snap" in and out of engagement ??????
hunter321 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2024 at 3:58pm
Sorry, I can start and drive the tractor right now with the foot clutch no problem. This tractor had sat for 15 years before I fixed it and I never tried the hand clutch.
I was going to use the hand clutch to bail hay with my roto bailer this year. But when I engaged it the tractor didn't stop moving after letting out the foot clutch.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2024 at 4:03pm
Hand clutch lever FORWARD should release the hand clutch. The hand clutch should "snap" when you throw the lever fully forward. Sometimes you need to hit the brakes to get the hand clutch to release and stop forward motion. I hope you have the transmission and hand clutch area full of oil ???

Edited by DrAllis - 28 Apr 2024 at 4:04pm
hunter321 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2024 at 4:13pm
Yes there is oil everywhere it needs to be
hunter321 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2024 at 4:19pm
I believe that the tractor will drive perfectly normal even with the hand clutch in the forwards position right now
Nathan (SD) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan (SD) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2024 at 4:37pm
Then check your linkage for wear. With the tractor in gear and the hand clutch lever is all the way forward, will the brakes stop the tractor ?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2024 at 4:44pm
DOES IT SNAP WHEN YOU THROW THE LEVER AHEAD ??  DID YOU STEP ON THE BRAKES TO TRY AND STOP IT ??
hunter321 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2024 at 4:46pm
Yes the breaks will stop the tractor with the hand clutch in the forwards position.
Yes the hand clutch snaps
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2024 at 4:50pm
Then, there isn't a problem.
hunter321 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2024 at 4:58pm
I'm only 17
If you say that there is no problem can you explain how to work the hand clutch
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2024 at 5:04pm
The hand clutch is a 2 or 3 disc clutch that operates in transmission oil. Because it is designed to and runs in oil, it is a very long life clutch. It can and does "creep" sometimes because it runs in oil. It sometimes requires a load to get it to release. These are NORMAL traits and is how they are. The hand clutch is designed to be used on hay balers to stop forward motion and keep the PTO turning. It is made to be used hundreds of times a day if need be.

Edited by DrAllis - 28 Apr 2024 at 5:07pm
hunter321 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2024 at 5:09pm
Ok
How do I engage the hand clutch
Do I push in the foot clutch and the brakes and then push the hand clutch to engage it
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2024 at 5:15pm
Hand clutch lever fully FORWARD to STOP (disengage). Pull hand clutch lever fully rearward to make the tractor move (engage). The hand clutch is designed to be operated by itself and has nothing to do with the foot clutch. Oil level check plugs are square heads down below the battery box and the clutch pedal lock device. Oil level should be FULL at both plugs.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2024 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by hunter321 hunter321 wrote:

I'm only 17
If you say that there is no problem can you explain how to work the hand clutch
 It would help you to get an operators manual, read it, if you don't fully understand, reread it until you do. 
  Operators manuals were written to familiarize a new operator with the equipment they were written for, SAFTY being the key issue.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2024 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by hunter321 hunter321 wrote:

Ok
How do I engage the hand clutch
Do I push in the foot clutch and the brakes and then push the hand clutch to engage it

The purpose of the hand clutch is to release power to the rear wheels, allowing the tractor to stop moving while still allowing the PTO to continue running.

I spent many hours running a WD which works just like your WD45, and I learned to really appreciate that hand clutch. Just push it forward and the tractor stops (unless you are on a hill, then you need the brakes to keep from rolling away).

Pull back on the hand clutch and away you go! Much smoother than the foot clutch.

I always use the foot clutch to engage the PTO.
hunter321 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2024 at 8:59am
Ok
Thanks
I have a manual and I will read it until I understand everything
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2024 at 11:56am
Why don't you take it for a drive?  Engine running. Place the hand clutch lever fully forward. Push in the foot clutch and shift into 3rd gear. Hold the brakes and let out fully on the foot clutch. Release the brakes. Gently and slowly pull rearward on the hand clutch lever. Push forward to make it release and roll to a stop. Smooooth as silk if you do it right.
hunter321 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2024 at 7:08pm
That didn't work
I pushed the foot clutch and the brakes in and had the hand clutch forward.
Then I shifted into 3rd and let of the foot clutch with my feet on the breaks and the hand clutch forward and the tractor took off and didn't stop
hunter321 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2024 at 7:10pm
It did help me get into 4th gear
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2024 at 10:08pm
Tome to pull the cover under the bsttery box. The clutch could ave been run a lot with no oil and be ruined the disks could be wore out and jaming it some one could have welded the clutch that was sliping. Once you het the cover off push the hand clutch lever foward stick a feeler guage in it in the released position the sbsoluted minium as around .035" should be closer tp .060"
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2024 at 5:14am
I had one of my 45's that I had to push HARD on the brakes and push/pull on the hand clutch to allow it to work.  After sitting so long, they tend to stay 'stuck' together.
DO NOT ruing your brakes doing this, as that is another story!!
But keep trying it and push/pull the hand clutch while the brakes are jammed.

Worst scenario is IF the clutch is 'welded' together, you can try GENTLY to get the plates apart after you have taken the batt. box and the cover off.  Use a putty knife to try and get it between the clutch faces.

Good luck!
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
hunter321 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2024 at 7:47am
Awhile ago when I was working on it I found a ring in the bottom of the clutch housing
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2024 at 8:22am
That would have been helpful to know. A 3 inch diameter piece of wire ????????
hunter321 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2024 at 8:54am
I think so
I told people about this on a previous form topic but no one told me anything
hunter321 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2024 at 9:16am

this is what I found 

Edited by hunter321 - 01 May 2024 at 9:17am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic