This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Henry Bale loader. Pro's and con's

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macon Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Henry Bale loader. Pro's and con's
    Posted: 21 Jan 2024 at 9:31pm
Are there better small square bale pop up bale loaders than the Henry?

I have heard good things Henry and NH.
Feedback encouraged.
The Allis "D" Series Tractors, Gravely Walk behind Tractors, Cowboy Action Shooting !!!!!!! And Checkmate
Sponsored Links

Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2024 at 9:26am
Not knowing what a Henry looked like, I found several examples on the net and not real impressed. But for one over here on the dry side we make tighter bales that handle better with any machine.  But at the same time, you use what is available in your area. There may be some adjustment that could be made to the Henry. All loaders I have used where less steep, not needing the push down mechanism, so you could grab them and roll it to you without letting it get all the way to the top. Any machine that helps lift anything is worth trying.
Bull View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2024 at 9:43am
I have used a Henry but prefer the conveyer type as you can set the discharge level as you go.
WD45 Diesel, RC,CA,IB, B, G, 616, Early B-10, D-10, Terra Tiger, 95G spreader, SC blade
Macon Rounds View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macon Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2024 at 11:02am
Conveyer type ???

Photos or link would be appreciated....

I am not set on any type at this point....
The Allis "D" Series Tractors, Gravely Walk behind Tractors, Cowboy Action Shooting !!!!!!! And Checkmate
Stan R View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2024 at 12:35pm
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2024 at 1:33pm
If you have to have someone driving the tractor and someone on the wagon, why not just tow the wagon behind the baler and save one more trip over the field?

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macon Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2024 at 2:13pm
Have baled onto wagon in the past ...

Went to BIG bale wagons but still have OLD baler.

Wagons push the baler in turns on steep ground. Kinda scary.....

Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2024 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by WF owner WF owner wrote:

If you have to have someone driving the tractor and someone on the wagon, why not just tow the wagon behind the baler and save one more trip over the field?

The reason my father always baled on the ground was he was a dairy farmer and claimed that he didn't have time to hook wagons up to the baler . He felt he had to run the baler and he also needed to milk the cows but did not have a lot of time. My brother and I had all the time in the world to load the bales and get them in the barn . We did have a bale loader that hooked to the side of the wagon and helped greatly.
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
Bull View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2024 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by Macon Rounds Macon Rounds wrote:

Conveyer type ???

Photos or link would be appreciated....

I am not set on any type at this point....

I cannot remember the brand or find any photos. Basically it is a hay elevator about15-18 feet long on two wheels . It has a landing at the top that the bale sits on until you pull it away if you don’t get to it the next one pushes it off onto the truck. It has a lift mechanism that raises it from about waste high standing on the truck to waste high standing on 3 layers of bales. It has a sprocket on the axle that drives the chain. Very simple and works well. If I find a photo I will post it.
WD45 Diesel, RC,CA,IB, B, G, 616, Early B-10, D-10, Terra Tiger, 95G spreader, SC blade
Dennis J OPKs View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis J OPKs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2024 at 5:26pm
If you were lucky enough to use a Roto-Baler, can't pull a wagon behind.  In which case the Allis tractor mounted loader worked quite well, just needed a good kid driving the tractor who knew exactly where to spike & turn the bale to get it on the conveyor.  One downside was you needed a tractor devoted only to that job.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2024 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by Dennis J OPKs Dennis J OPKs wrote:

If you were lucky enough to use a Roto-Baler, can't pull a wagon behind.  In which case the Allis tractor mounted loader worked quite well, just needed a good kid driving the tractor who knew exactly where to spike & turn the bale to get it on the conveyor.  One downside was you needed a tractor devoted only to that job.

Back when I was running cattle, baling with a rotobaler, I used to hook up the snow blade to the ATV, and push as many bales (sometimes 20) as I could onto the field.  Then push another 20 toward the first, repeat as necessary. So I'd have a pile of 40 together, here and there, throughout the field.  Then I'd drive the dump truck down, and load 4-5 piles into it, drive up, dump at barn and repeat as necessary. wasn't perfect, but it was quick...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Bull View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2024 at 8:27pm
I finally remembered the brand is Meyer. There is a picture on Yesterday’s Tractor.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macon Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2024 at 8:46pm
Meyer

I will look into it !!!
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2024 at 11:50pm
If I remember correctly, New Holland had the ‘Bale Wagon’?
It picked up the bales, stacked them on the wagon. Certain models would unload one bale at a time onto an elevator/conveyor, or the back of the wagon would open, and floor conveyor chains would push the whole stack out, all nicely stacked on the ground.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2024 at 12:26pm

I finally found a picture of the model we used .In the picture it is laying down in transport mode. It stands up and attaches to the side of the wagon. We had a 1/2" bolt that stuck up out of the side of the wagon about 3 inches. The loader was lifted on to it and gravity would keep it on the wagon. Drive alongside and chain would conveyer bales up and rest baleon a platform. If you didn't pull the bale off the next one would push it off . Worked with both square and small rounds. My little sister was just old enough to steer the tractor. I would get her going in the right direction, jump off tractor, climb on moving wagon, stack the wagon full , climb off wagon to get on tractor to stop. Oh what fun !!!
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2024 at 4:03pm
Looks like it was ground driven?
jvin248 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jvin248 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2024 at 4:26pm

If I were messing with small square bales now, alone, I'd get a bale accumulator behind the baler to drop the eight, ten, or a dozen together in a flat group, then use a loader tractor with a grid grappler to pick up the flat group and stack on a flatbed truck/wagon. No real cycle time difference than dropping big round bales and stacking with spears on a wagon.

We did a lot of direct drop off the baler with a rolling truck, lift and stack, back when I was a kid. We ran a lighter tractor on the baler alone  than what we used to trail a wagon.

When I saw YouTube videos of the NH stacker trucks I was envious. It was always a hundred degrees in that hay mow too.

dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2024 at 7:18pm
My father, the infidel, had a new holland 1034 bale wagon. Picked up 105 bales at a time and could put them in a stack or unload them on a elevator. Need a 1/4 turn chute on the baler, but the wagon doesn't a lot of horsepower to run it. And they don't have a lot of resale value
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2024 at 6:47am
A friend of mine bought an older New Holland Bale Wagon a few years ago. 
On the first day, he went out and baled about 800 bales of hay and dropped them on the ground (they had baled on a wagon before).
I drove by late that afternoon and the bale wagon was sitting on the side of the field with a few bales on it and they were picking up bales and throwing them on the wagon by hand. 
I stopped to give them a hand and asked if the bale wagon broke. It hadn't broke, but they said it would take hours to pick up a load (with a few more adjectives).
After they got an owner's manual and some practice, they used it for years.
I've heard similar stories from other owners.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic