This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD45 Diesel injection pump no pressure

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozrae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WD45 Diesel injection pump no pressure
    Posted: 16 Jan 2024 at 10:20am

This is a little long winded, but I have a wd45 diesel that is in pretty good original condition. It has the American Bosch PSB pump, that had a broken fuel plunger on it when I bought it. Found another injection pump from a wd45 diesel that was supposed to be working until the head gasket on the engine started leaking coolant. The tractor was parked for a number of years, but I had verified the fuel plunger was not broken or stuck from sitting.

I’m not an injection pump rebuilder but am curious and like to see how things work. I do have a service manual for the pump. The pump needed to be cleaned, so I disassembled nearly everything, put in new governor shaft bearings and a seal. Replaced the sleeve bearing on the pump camshaft and a new seal for the fuel pump shaft.  In the hydraulic head, I also removed the fuel plunger and it seemed to still have a precision fit, but I don’t have a way to measure down to microns of an inch.

Then installed pump back to engine, the injectors were previously cleaned, and pop tested for 2000psi. All new fuel filters were installed also. I left the injectors out so the engine could spin faster to get pump primed. Clear plastic tubing was connected to each injector line so I could see when and if fuel was coming through the lines. Fuel eventually did steadily inject through all 6 lines.

I then connected an injector to one of the lines, but it would not push fuel through the injector. I checked the injector on the pop tester again to verify that it wasn’t stuck for some reason, and it wasn’t. I kept backing the pop pressure down on the injector to see at what point fuel would push through. Eventually it was backed down to less than 500psi and it still wouldn’t push fuel through.

It seems to be pumping a good volume of fuel, but it just won’t build pressure. Any ideas on what to look for before disassembling again? It doesn't seem likely that the fuel plunger and sleeve could be worn so bad that it would build hardly any pressure.

Thanks in advance for your time.

D15D, D17G, 170G, 175D, and two 5050FWA
Sponsored Links

Michael Crowe View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael Crowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2024 at 12:10pm
If the pump is actually pumping it sounds like the fuel shut off block could be partially or fully in the off position not letting a full supply of fuel into the plunger.

If you want to call id be happy to walk you through the steps to check.
Michael 816 898 7277
The 14th Annual Exclusive AC Swap Meet will be held in Boonville, MO, March 7-8, 2025. See the club website for details: http://www.moacclub.com/
Michael Crowe View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael Crowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2024 at 12:39pm
After rereading your post, it is not completely clear but it seems you have not bled the lines of all the air. Getting fuel into the clear lines and then disconnecting and connecting the steel lines you will have massive amounts of air. You need to connect all the steel lines but leave them very slightly untightened at the injector, and then turn it over with the throttle half open. Its best if you have two people, one cranking the starter, the other tightening the injector lines once you get fuel spraying around the line nut. Once you get 3 or 4 bled and tightened it should run. Once you get all 6 lines bled with no air, if it doesn’t run or doesn’t run properly, it probably isn’t timed correctly. Ive seen several timed on cylinder 6, the back cylinder instead of cylinder 1, the cylinder closest to the radiator.
The 14th Annual Exclusive AC Swap Meet will be held in Boonville, MO, March 7-8, 2025. See the club website for details: http://www.moacclub.com/
bozrae View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozrae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2024 at 2:13pm
Thanks Michael, you've provided some good insight on the proper way to get the air bled out and hopefully running again.
D15D, D17G, 170G, 175D, and two 5050FWA
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic