This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Operator ignorance & how do you fix the damage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2022 at 5:33pm
Ah yes, the price of ignorance is the cost of education....  As others have said dremel tool and stone to remove the burr and it should slide off.  If you have a flex shaft dremel or similar, they have a smaller body that won't get in the way, as much...Wink

Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2022 at 4:44pm
I posted a similar problem with the PTO shaft binding on a 15 ft batwing a few weeks ago... My idea was the front shaft is TOO SHORT and should be a couple feet LONGER and the TOWER mount back further on the hitch.. Then when you turn a corner, the ANGLE in the shaft would be much reduced..... Apparently it is not a big problem if you DONT TURN TOO SHARP..... I rebuilt the batwing original tower so it pivots easier and rebuilt the SHORT front pto shaft ( new u-joint) ..........

your photo.....mine looks similar.

Like them all, but love the "B"s.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2022 at 4:36pm
Im working on a 15 ft Batwing right now... Correct me if i am wrong, but there is a TOWER on the  mower hitch at the BACK END of the drive shaft... There is a support bearing that hangs inside that tower... The "front pto shaft) is maybe 24 inches long and SOLID.. it does not slide and change length... BEHIND the tower there is a 5 ft long drive shaft with a square drive inside a tube... that is what  gives you the LENGTH NEEDED.. When you turn a corner, the TOWER is suppose to PIVOT forward or back a couple inches and make sure what happened, does not happen..

I dont think you shaft is TOO LONG... I think you turned TOO TIGHT for this design of pto shaft / hitch ...

You need to take a small air or electric die grinder and reach in and  grind off the burrs or any high spots on the end of the shaft... Go slow and take off plenty.. A little undersize at the edge will not hurt... Eventually the shaft will then slide off.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2022 at 4:00pm
540 RPM is 14" and 16" is for 1000 RPM I believe.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2022 at 2:01pm
Aren't 540's supposed to be 16 inches from end of shaft to center of drawbar hole?
TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2022 at 11:49am
Neighbor did pretty much same thing, we dropped the bush hog and pulled the driveshaft apart,we pulled the plastic guard off the half still on the tractor, then we put a breaker bar on the back of the pto shaft,and lifted up on the drive shaft, pulled it right off there.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2022 at 11:43am
Maybe remove the 'cross' of that Ujoint first, so you get GOOD access to the end of the PTO shaft, then deburr and see if the yoke  moves. You may be able to put a 'gear puller' on the stuck yoke and pull it off.
If possible PUSH the yoke closer to the tractor to expose more of the PTO shaft for deburring operations.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
JoeM(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeM(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2022 at 11:35am
You might have raised a bit of a burr or distortion where it was striking the end of the shaft, I think I’d start by dressing that on both sides with a file or small grinder and then see if shaft will slide off.
Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB
brkfldj View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brkfldj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2022 at 11:28am
While using my CA and Woods brush hog, I turned as sharp as I desired. Initially I didn’t pay attention to the drive line chatter and vibration that occurred during the sharp turns. But the damage was already done. The binding of the Woods drive shaft forced the yoke forward of the tractor’s pto shaft detent. Now I can’t remove the Wood’s shaft. The Woods shaft can slide forward until it contacts the tractor and can be pulled rearward to what I believe is almost the intended operating position.
What is the best approach to removing the mower’s shaft from the tractor?
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what is for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ——— Ben Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic