This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My newest favorite mistake. HD6G

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
doctorcorey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctorcorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2022 at 11:39am
Originally posted by doctorcorey doctorcorey wrote:

Originally posted by Ian Beale Ian Beale wrote:

That ought to have a PSB injection pump

For which parts are unobtanium

Reiterating - As it has been sitting for a questionable time make sure the pump is not stuck before you try to start it
      I've only turned it over by hand, and it was really stiff. Removed the intake and introduced some lubrication through the ports. Turns very nicely. Starter drive lever pin was broken, and hopefully, that kept others from being able to crank it over. Fuel filters had clear fuel in them. Someone has tried to get it running. Am I correct that the fuel transfer pump could be substituted for some sort of external electric pump? Cheers
   Ian, are you referring to the pintle in the pressure head being stuck? I call it a pintle, it's the part that actually pushes the high pressure to the distributor.  I have seen these before.
Semper Fi USMC    1958 HD6G, 1959 MF 203 loader, 1960 Case 420B Backhoe, MF 65 Tractor/Loader Diesel
Sponsored Links

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctorcorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2022 at 11:24am
Originally posted by Codger Codger wrote:

Can you post photos of the starter and parts; along with identification tag? I will be over to the rebuilder I use next week and can show them what you need. You may be better off replacing it however.  
The only ID tag is on the manual contact switch. Hard to read  DelcoRemy 4070, or 4c7c....32737. Definitely has been rebuilt before, very clean on inside, and old punch marks. This little pawl on the bendix arm has been repaired before, I found an old clutch cylinder rod from my F250 that matches the two step diameter of this pin exactly, so I will make one if necessary. 

Edited by doctorcorey - 10 Sep 2022 at 11:33am
Semper Fi USMC    1958 HD6G, 1959 MF 203 loader, 1960 Case 420B Backhoe, MF 65 Tractor/Loader Diesel
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2022 at 9:42am
Can you post photos of the starter and parts; along with identification tag? I will be over to the rebuilder I use next week and can show them what you need. You may be better off replacing it however.  
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctorcorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2022 at 9:16am
Originally posted by Ian Beale Ian Beale wrote:

Reiterating - As it has been sitting for a questionable time make sure the pump is not stuck before you try to start it
      I've only turned it over by hand, and it was really stiff. Removed the intake and introduced some lubrication through the ports. Turns very nicely. Starter drive lever pin was broken, and hopefully, that kept others from being able to crank it over. Fuel filters had clear fuel in them. Someone has tried to get it running. Am I correct that the fuel transfer pump could be substituted for some sort of external electric pump? Cheers
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2022 at 3:18am

Edited by Ian Beale - 10 Sep 2022 at 3:20am
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2022 at 10:57am
This motor is a BUDA ALLIS 344 and these filters should ne easy to find, you should removed them and bring them with you to your NAPA DEALER if you can't find a parts number on them
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctorcorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2022 at 10:31am
Originally posted by gemdozer gemdozer wrote:

This machine look have good undercarriage on and about oiland fuel in pan you could just loosed the drain plug and let fuel comming out until you the oil comming and change the contenair  and you can see how oil was in pan
The undercarriage is pretty nice. I'm going to try to get it running and then I will attack that main clutch. It seems that oil filters are getting hard to find for these, at least through the auto parts stores. This tractor is also almost full of clean hydraulic fluid. 
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2022 at 10:23am
This machine look have good undercarriage on and about oiland fuel in pan you could just loosed the drain plug and let fuel comming out until you the oil comming and change the contenair  and you can see how oil was in pan
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2022 at 7:12am
if crankcase is full of diesel and it wouldnt stay running the transfter pump seal is shot.  hopefully it couldnt build enough fuel pressure and an easy fix.

Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote doctorcorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2022 at 11:10pm
Well here she is, in all her glory. I told the tow company she weighed in at 16,000+, but the dispatcher told the driver it was 12,500. He must have looked up the Ag crawler specs and didn't know it had a loader and counterweights. That truck was bagging, but hauled it the 30 miles to my house. Seller said it had been down for 'a year' . My guess.....3-5 years. Many controls and linkages stuck, and the tracks wouldn't turn....seller assured me 'it would roll', they had 'moved it with a tractor several times'. HA! I figure the brake bands are rusted up. Anyways, has full oil with a lot of diesel fuel in it, hydraulic fluid is clean and full. Clutch is out. I wonder if diesel dilution in the oil will separate after setting for a long period? Will it float to the top? I'm going to change the fuel filters, flush the lines, put in some batteries, and see if this old B#$ch will fire up. As an old nostalgic mechanic who loves old machines, this is like a mystery novel. I feel like Dorothy finding the Tin Man and loosening up his parts with oil. I will find out all that the seller knew , but didn't tell me, and I will find out how much he didn't know, and why he couldn't keep it running.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic