This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD 45 next? YES!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 45>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 3.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 12:01pm
AC Folks,
I decided to take the hand clutch apart to review the components. I did not compress and remove the large snap ring. Not sure of any reason to do that on this clutch at this time.
Marked the orientation of components during disassembly with vibro-scribe. (it doesnt get rubbed off during cleaning.) Removed the shim packs and marked them for location.
There was about .100 inch thick stack of shims still in there.

(Back story: This clutch seemed to work fine although never worked or pulled hard while I have owned it. Just while I have it out its not going back in without review!)

What I found: The first clutch disc had heavy black carbon type build up on it. I used scotch brite on a die grinder to get that off and can still see the grooves. But it is about .020 inches thinner than the other two which look much better and have distinct grooves left in the dics.

Shim packs:

Here is the carboned up clutch disc (closest to the back of the tractor):

carbon removed: I will try to find a replacement for this one.

All of the faces of the plates look OK to me. But maybe I am not a good judge?

So I called a expert, Mr Rick Corder. Rick was nice enough to answer some questions over the phone and felt that at least that one dics needed replaced. 

Will have Bill at Sandy Lake take a look at these parts tomorrow for a second opinion. Will pick up the small vertical springs in the assembly as mine have some wear and are thin in some areas.

All in all this was not as bad as I thought. And I dont think I need a whole clutch rebuild.

I now remember my Uncle going into one of Dad's 45's and taking out shims! Was magic to me at a dozen years of age!:)

Regards,
 Chris

D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Sponsored Links

MDWilliams338 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDWilliams338 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 3:45pm
Chris I was thinking I posted this pic on this thread just a few minutes ago and it was mine I posted it on.Anyway the big one is the one dad uses for the big stuff.He also uses the slender grinders also but for the most part we use our neighbors diesel steam jet washer....it’s the big skid type Hotsy cleaner.
‘42B,’45B,’48C,’51CA,’52CA,’69170,1935WC,1936WC,WD,WD Highcrop,WD45,WF,D10/14/15/17/19

It isn’t how you die.It’s what you live for.-Daniel Boone
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 8:45pm
Mike,
 Those look a lot like my tools. I have the small HF needle scaler. 

I worked or played with the engine most of the day. Several areas:
The hand clutch is taking a ride to Sandy Lake in the morning for evaluation. I did take the large snap ring off by compressing the assembly with some clamps. I realized I need to do this so I will be able to measure for the shims.

The large Bellville washer:

Next up was the pan, upon reviewing I found cracks in the rear corners. 

Off to the weld shop

Checking the gaps:

Setting the end gaskets with the pan clips. These were included in the gasket kit:

Shelac on the block, dried a while, and set the pan gaskets. Made a couple locating studs.

Added the sealer on each corner:

Set the pan

Torqued to 8 ft lbs: Short one above the oil pressure port.

There was a small panic till I  finally found the pan bolts still in a cup of dried up oil and grease! Took a few minutes to get them clean and ready to install.

Shellacked the inside of the valve cover and set that gasket too. Installed the governor cover and oil pressure plunger, spring and nut.

Hope to get some urethane primer on this block in the next few days. 

Regards,
 Chris 

Edited by Sugarmaker - 02 May 2019 at 8:52pm
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 8:37am
Chris, looks like you are making good progress. On the hand-clutch, have you thought about converting to a three disc? Would be a good upgrade and no better time to do it. I have gotten a lot of parts from E-bay but that source seams to have dried up for whatever reason.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 3:40pm
Mike, Folks,
 It is a 3 plate clutch. WD45 type. The most worn plate was .072 inch .020 thinner than the center and the front disc. The grooves were almost gone after cleaning off the carbon. Bill at Sandy Lake took a look at all the components of the clutch and recommended that one disc only be replaced. So I ordered a replacement disc, got some used shims, and new small springs. Should be a good clutch when back together.

FYI New clutch discs are $80+ each. New shim packs are $50+ each.

Visited the paint place (Lake City PA) and picked up a gallon of Sherwin Williams Persian Orange #1. Sample looks a little brighter than the paint I had used before. Will see when we get some on a panel. 

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 03 May 2019 at 7:56pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 8:03pm
Folks,
After doing not much actual work on the Allis tractor today I thought I better get out and try something I have heard about but never done. Put on a new ring gear!

Flywheel with ring removed. My machine shop took off the old one using a air hammer.

Heated the oven to 400F and set the new ring in for a while:

First try it did not fall on. Had to use air hammer to get it back off. Heated it again for 20 min at 450F. Pretty much fell on, with a few light taps, it was home. Made sure the chamfers were up position.

Good to go with a new ring gear! One more thing in the "while your in there" Syndrome!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 04 May 2019 at 7:26am
Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 9:18pm
Nice, Chris. I've never seen this done. Feels like you're on the home stretch.....approaching the home stretch..........definitely way more than outa the starting gate. LOL
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2019 at 7:32am
AC Folks,
 Today the paint thing has me in a " Did I make a wrong move again!" mode. Just not sure I have the right shade of orange? The sample looked a little too red and not as much pumpkin color. Just a gut feel? I need to get some parts ready, spray the primer and then a couple parts with this Sherwin Williams top coat. I know its a better paint but the correct shade is important. 

Here is a picture of the new paint (1.5 x 2 inch patch) on the inside of a battery box lid. The battery box lid was one that was powder coated. I think the powder coat color is pretty close to PO#1. The new paint brushed on and dried looks Ok but seems to have more red in it.
I think it might be closer to PO#2?? An entire tractor done with it would look good and it would look orange!:) Maybe I am getting too fussy in my old age? 
It did darken some during drying. Has a nice shine to it!

Paint shop said they might be able to adjust the tint? That's yet to be determined. 

Hope Things are good out there in Orange land!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 04 May 2019 at 8:56am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2019 at 9:04am
Hard to judge since colors often don't show up as "true" on computers, but clearly a different shade and clearly more red than the rest of the lid. I'd say it's not PO #1 - not sure what it is. Can you find something small that's clearly #1 to show the paint shop?
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2019 at 9:15am
Originally posted by Dave(inMA) Dave(inMA) wrote:

Hard to judge since colors often don't show up as "true" on computers, but clearly a different shade and clearly more red than the rest of the lid. I'd say it's not PO #1 - not sure what it is. Can you find something small that's clearly #1 to show the paint shop?

Dave,
 I felt the under side of this lid purchased as complete new powder coated was a good example of the color. I dont have any original parts of the correct color. I also took a chance that the paint shop had a numbers match paint. Obviously this is not the case and I probably own $120 worth of incorrect orange.:(
I have a heck of a time with about everything I touch on this tractor! Try to make a move and it turns out like poop! Guess I must just be getting old!:) Will see if the paint shop can doctor it any. 
Trying not to get to aggravated on this. My own fault on most of this stuff. I have seen about every shade on these old tractors. But Its nice to be close, and I liked the shade of the Tisco brand. More pumpkin color I guess?

Regards,
 Chris

Jgranat View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jgranat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2019 at 6:50am
FWIW Chris, my wife is an art teacher and she says it would take adding yellow to reduce that red look but it may take a lot to do it. It is easier to go from light to dark than dark to light according to her. I would say it is worth trying but the paint shop should make it right in my opinion.
Ranse View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2019 at 7:21am
Sugarmaker,
I had the same problem with the AC cream I got from Napa. It had a yellow tint to it I didn't like. I took it back and they added white to it. Like Jgranat said, it took a lot to lighten it up. I bought a half gallon of paint and ended up with three quarters of a gallon. They did get the color to my satisfaction.

Keep in mind, when they doctor your paint it will be one of a kind that can't be duplicated. As long as you like it that won't matter.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2019 at 8:35am
Joe, Ranse, Folks
Paint blotches, I circled what I though were the closest to matching the lid. Big blotch with 2 beside it is what paint looks like now. not much change from first big blotch!

Thanks! I thought the same thing, adding yellow would be the way to get the shade more correct. They did a small batch and had it close but they didnt go far enough with the gallon. I have options, Always have options! I am going to take it back again and have them try the more yellow approach. I found a old can of the Tisco PO#1 which has paint on the inside of the can lid and I am going to take that too. BTW it does match the color under the battery box lid pretty well. Second option is to go to local PPG paint stores and get color swatch of the 600080 which is reference many times. Worst case is have them make the paint for me. 

So I learned something today,  while on the FTE site (Ford Truck Enthusiasts) .There are paint Gods! I did not know that!:) That could be part of the problem and I am not sure what I need to do to appease them?

Ranse,
Your correct I am border line on having a custom mix that cant be mixed by the numbers!

I need to get out and work on something. Would like to spray primer on the engine before it becomes a rusted hulk!

Question to the paint folks. So what color should my 1958 Allis D17 be? Should it still be PO#1??
Regards,
Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 05 May 2019 at 8:39am
Ranse View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2019 at 11:37am
I think you're on the right track. I wouldn't scrap $120 worth of paint. The two in the circle look pretty good to me. A little more fine tuning and do the whole gallon and you'll be good to go.

BTW, you wouldn't be the first to get it wrong. Check out these toys of mine. My D10 is supposed to be PO2, and the Wd45 is PO1 of coarse. I believe these tractors are backwards.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2019 at 11:45am
Originally posted by Sugarmaker Sugarmaker wrote:

I have a heck of a time with about everything I touch on this tractor! Try to make a move and it turns out like poop! Guess I must just be getting old!:) Will see if the paint shop can doctor it any. 

Chris, you may be having challenges, but your results are terrific. Keep the faith. Maybe burn some incense to appease the paint gods? Big smile

Dave
WC, CA, D14, WD45
exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2019 at 1:01pm
So they add more paint to get it right. You'll have enough left over to paint a perfectly matched implement.
Jgranat View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jgranat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2019 at 2:33pm
If I obsessed over perfection I'd probably never get outta bed in the morning for fear of failure. Lol. Get it close enough to appease yourself and apply to tractor. It will be fine.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2019 at 5:13pm
Guys,
 Thanks! I needed the support. I found a portion of a gallon of the Tisco brand paint setting on the shelf. mixed it and painted some on the underside of the lid. Almost a perfect match with the lid. So my eye is not too bad. Will take that to the paint gods and get down on my knees I guess!:)

Joe your right get it close, be happy, and keep moving!

I worked towards getting this engine block ready for primer. Scuffed the parts that were in Rustoleum. I wanted to test this new primer over the Rustoleum. Also used wax and grease remover which removed a lot of dirt. from the block, several applications of that.
Sun came out, rolled the engine out of the garage, mixed some primer loaded up the old cup gun and tried it. This primer is a high fill type and its way thicker than anything I ever used. Would be nice if it was a different shade of gray as I cant see where the old primer is covered totally.

Also did the inside of the left fender just to try the new primer over the old. Seemed OK not popping or lifting yet! So if the weather is right I have a lot of parts that need painted. I even bought one of those fancy paint stands! Its going to be a nice addition to the shop too! At 40 bucks I may get a matching one!

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 05 May 2019 at 5:29pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2019 at 5:32pm
Ranse,
 Those colors look exactly reversed!:)
Thanks!
ExSW,
Yea to get the orange color I may end up with more paint. That's why I was wondering about the D17. 
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2019 at 8:30pm
Folks,
Pumpkin paint was remixed, new primer gun purchased. 

Picked up a couple tables along the road.

Fender work today. Mostly on the inside. shot some primer.

Regards,
 Chris

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 3:19pm
Folks,
 New clutch disc:
Measures .100 inches for thickness.

Regards,
 Chris

Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 3:21pm
wow, that's nice, I bet not many on here have ever seen a new one.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 3:36pm
Dave, Folks,
I am still learning about these clutches. A big thanks to Sandy Lake (Brenda and Bill) for reviewing this clutch on the bench with me and getting the new outside clutch disc with two days! Awesome response. I can start to put the clutch back together and maybe get the torque tube and bell housing back on this WD45 too! 
These clutch discs remind me of old 45 phonograph records!
Regards,
 Chris

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 9:40pm
AC gents,
 The clutch parts went together well. I used the procedure in the service manual and also had watched a video that folks had on YouTube. I ended up aligning it on the shaft protruding from the transmission. That is the shaft it has to go on any way. Wanted to make sure it fit there. 
Cheated and used some .140 wood spacers instead of $150 worth of new shims.
Then measured the gaps, subtracted .005 inch and made the new shim stacks. Basically added .015 to .018 inches of new shims.

Regards,
 Chris

Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 6:19am
Originally posted by Sugarmaker Sugarmaker wrote:

Dave, Folks,
These clutch discs remind me of old 45 phonograph records!
Regards,
 Chris

Are you sure they're not WD45 phonograph records??LOL

Sorry bad joke
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 7:00am
Allis dave you sound like a stuck record.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 4:10pm
You know Chris, you're in the wrong line of work.  (I know, you're retired, but that is beside the point)  Your pics are magnificent and your work is well above that.  You're doing GREAT and this thread needs to go into the vault (Knowledge Base) when you've got the ole girl up and running.

YES, those models are color reversed.  I'm half blind in one eye and can't see out of the other, but I can see that.

You're doing GREAT and I for one, can't wait to hear it run!!
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 6:24pm
Dave, Tim, Ted, Folks,
 Thanks for checking on me! The tractor got some attention today. First and formost please excuse my cluttered garage. I have a habit of not being very tidy about stuff. Sorry!:)
I worked on the assembly of the torque tube and bell housing today for the WD45.
I had taken this apart months ago and had forgotten what the reverse steps were.
I did get to practice putting the PTO gears and stub shaft in twice! Yea dont put that in first! Put the main drive shaft in the torque tube then the PTO gears. Also practice up on your favorite words because you will need a few for that PTO gear assembly!

Cleaned the paint off the torque first: Installed the welsh plug on the left side of the TT for the hand clutch pivot shaft. Another "while your in there item"!

The PTO gears the first time even had lock wire in place!

My version of setting the TT on end:

This was the first time. Cant get the bearing and splined gear in with the PTO gears in first.
This allowed me to tap in the bearing and the spline drive for the hand clutch. Hand clutch installed too.

PTO gears in place the second time needs lock wire
My version of installing the bell housing, Reverse of the service manual.

Bell housing lowered over the shaft from the torque tube:

Gasket installed with goop on both sides: Gently /slowly lowered the bell housing over the shaft to avoid damage to the seal in the bell housing.

Front seal survived the installation:

Look close and you can see two dowels in the bell housing to guide the two halves together. Worked good. Looked through this inspection cover to guide the bell housing into position down the shaft.

Assembly back in horizontal position: That's enough fun for one day!

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 08 May 2019 at 7:03pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 9:07pm
Wow - Chris, you make more progress in one day than I would in a week!! This girl is going to look and run better than new when you're done.

Dave
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Jgranat View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jgranat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 4:43am
Originally posted by Ted J Ted J wrote:

You know Chris, you're in the wrong line of work.  (I know, you're retired, but that is beside the point)  Your pics are magnificent and your work is well above that.  You're doing GREAT and this thread needs to go into the vault (Knowledge Base) when you've got the ole girl up and running.

YES, those models are color reversed.  I'm half blind in one eye and can't see out of the other, but I can see that.

You're doing GREAT and I for one, can't wait to hear it run!!

Ted I am starting to think Chris is like the "Columbo" of tractor restoration...a little apologizing, a few questions, some joking around while acting like he doesn't really know how it ends, and we get to see the pictures and witness something come together like  a well scripted TV show. 

Keep at it Chris, beautiful work.  As far as the garage being cluttered, clutter is a sign of prosperity, enjoy it!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 45>
  Share Topic