This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD 45 next? YES!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 45>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 3.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 9:00pm
Ted,
This retirement thing. I take full advantage of it. I don't get going very early, checking all the forums that I am on. Ford trucks, IH, Maple, Ford barn (hot rods)! Most days I feel I don't get much done. But try to do one thing if possible on the current project.

Thanks for checking in on me. This WD45 is going to drag on through the winter for sure. So I may have several more posts and some pictures too. I feel the pictures may help me and others at some point. I am still learning on these tractors. I feel like I am way behind.

Have a lsit of small items I need to order from Sandy Lake in near future.

Today I did put another skim coat of glaze body filler on the frame rails. It is much cooler so I wont touch it for a day or so. That should finish out ok and be all the body work to get those sanitized.

I am looking at a mid fifties Ford truck project for the future. Spent part of the afternoon drooling on a couple trucks close by. Another money and time pit!:)

Have a contractor coming tomorrow to look at maybe building me a shop/ storage/ paint area. Maybe that will get me off the dime on that project too. Really need to build it myself and save some labor dollars!

Oh yea need two baths redone in the house too. 

So like most of us, its always something to look forward to!

To answer your question. There are no days off during retirement! I cant go to work to rest up!:) At this stage of my life I have adopted a philosophy like this "Reach down, get a grip, don't slip"!

Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Sponsored Links

Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 5:51pm
What do you do on your day off?? ROFLOLMAO!!
You're doing good Chris.  Such detail to pics!
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 7:57pm
Folks,
Removed the brittle oil soaked seals for the steering shaft. Then gently tapped the retainer out of the casting. I decided that I will get the cork seals and use this original retainer to hold them in place.

Some straightening required.

Next to the front spindle assembly. This washer was very worn and the top of the spindle, and it had embedded into the casting. I ground the casting flat and will have to find or make a new washer.

Decided to take the hubs off to re-check the components.

Found that the only thing I need are the felt seals behind the big inside bearing.

This is the bottom of the front casting. It had two small pieces of 3/8 rod welded on. I have no idea what they were for. I figured you would approve of removing them!

Did some inside cleaning on the front pedestal assembly. Found that a old homemade tank cart was the ticket to move this around. The plan is to clean the bottom first.

Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 6:11am
The new seals from AGCO are cork
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 9:28pm
JK, 
Great suggestion! I might look at that as a option, if I damage these retainers. If I only need the seal then that might be cheaper. But when I look at the current felt seal in there it has a gap which would be a natural leak path. The double lip seal might be a more robust fix. 
Regards,
 Chris 
JK in Pa View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JK in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 6:19pm
I replaced the worm shaft seal on my WD about 20 years ago. I used 2 double lip seals to replace the original. Still dry today. Just a suggestion. HTH.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 1:52pm
Dave, Ranse, Don, 
Thanks for the info! Weather has dropped 20 degrees. I went to a equipment show today at our local tractor show grounds. Visited with friends, took some pictures of equipment. This was a show for all the local townships to meet and view new trucks, backhoes, stump grinder, mini excavators, pavers ...

Regards,
 Chris
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 8:25am
Pry the old seals out then grind two sides of a flat washer off so it will fit in the where the seals fit hook a slide hammer to the washer and out the retainer comes good to reuse. 
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

Ranse View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 8:16am
Sugarmaker,
I do plan to post some pics of my rims once I get tires and get them back on the tractor. I've been taking pics of each step. I didn't do as much to my rims as you did to yours. The way you widen yours was impressive. I can't decide if I want to paint them again or not. Painting isn't hard, but I always manage to make a few mistakes and it kind of bugs me. It will cost me another $39 if I do it again. Oh well, on one said it would be cheap. I'm also undecided on what tires I want too.

I would say the rustoleum primer would be compatible with most anything, but I don't really know. I will tell you, I used a can of rustoleum clear coat on some of the Napa paint I got, and it wasn't compatible at all. It melted the paint and made it run as soon as it hit it. It changed the color a lot too. I like the PPG paint. It lays smoother and is just simply easier to work with than the Martin Senour paint from Napa. I will say, the Napa paint was acrylic enamel, and the PPG was urethane. Napa's urethane paint may be just fine.

It's funny you should mention vacation. I'm actually on vacation next week. I guess I need to stay here and get some work done. It's will be the wife and I's 30th anniversary, but she didn't get off. We was planning to go to Panama City, FL. I guess we dodged a bullet there. With the trips to Pontiac and Gray, we done enough going for one year. Maybe next year.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 8:11am
I know!! Those little retainers are expensive! Like $25 each or something. I couldn't get mine out without bending them so I had to buy new ones. It'd be an awefully thin new style seal to take it's place.

I'm with you, I did a lot of paint mixing for only a few parts. I'd love to have 1-2 big painting days and buy a gallon all premixed up from NAPA. it'd be so much quicker. I did some rustoleum on a few small parts. I can't really tell the difference 8 years later.

Nice view over at your daughter's. Looks like she has a nice place.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 12:28am
Ranse,
You need to take a vacation and get up here for Walleye fishing! Just seen the sign today welcoming folks to the area. Check the Green Roof Inn in Platea PA. They cater to fisherman. You would be about 5 miles from me. Let me know when you get here!:)
 Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 11:59pm
Originally posted by CrestonM CrestonM wrote:

Chris, have you thought about what brand of paint you will use for the PO#1?

Creston,
 I used PO#1 from Sandy Lake on the last two WD's and I liked the color and shade real well. I cant remember the maker of the paint right now. It went on real well. I did not spray any clear coat and it has lost some of the shine in just a couple years. About like the original PO#1. 
Any recommendations? I could go with NAPA paint too, they will mix it for me.

Regards,
 Chris
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 11:52pm
Chris, have you thought about what brand of paint you will use for the PO#1?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 11:39pm
Ranse, folks,

We need some pictures of your rims! Love rim work!

The coy in this pond come to the surface for bread crumbs. Just like the big carp at Pymatuning Reservior (Linesville PA). These coy are 10 to 16 inches long and are white orange and black. This pond is only about 8 feet deep. I think there are snappers and or muskrats in there since it never gets clear. 

On the paint:
 None of it is cheap. I hope I am not making a mistake with this Rustoleum primer in rattle cans. I like it, goes on good, but even it is $5.00, per large can. So it may cost more in the long run, but I do like how convenient it is, and no clean up. I hate mixing up paint for one or two parts, which is how I get them cleaned. 
So this is the way I try to keep the parts, till I can get some automotive type paint on them. ( probably next spring at this rate) I do plan to spray the PO#1 with a HVLP gun. I am debating if I will primer/ seal all these parts again prior to top coat? Hoping this Rustoleum is going to be compatible with future primer and or the top coats too. 

I have done some small lawn type tractors with just rattle cans primer and final, and it comes out OK.  I am not really a painter, more like a dauber! 

I have to keep reminding myself this WD45 is just a a Refurb, clean and paint! (ReCaP)

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 10 Oct 2018 at 11:40pm
Ranse View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 9:02pm
Sugarmaker,
My daughter and son-in-law have a pond with coy in it on their place. Four of them I think. He showed them to me one day. The water isn't very deep and you can see them.

I noticed the primer on the stool. I believe I have a can or two just like that here at the house. Do you plan to use rattle cans all the way on this tractor? I sure miss the rattle cans. I believe I can do just as good a job with them (if not better) as I can an air gun. And a lot less trouble too. I've been painting my rims. It takes more time to get everything ready to paint and to clean up afterwards than it does to do the actual painting. It's more expensive too, one pint of PPG silver paint-$39.49 at my parts store. I hope it's worth it. I'm tempted to grab a can and shake her up and go next time.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 7:04pm
Folks,
Did some brush hogging with the off color Ford Jubliee at daughters farm. This is her small pond behind the house. Lots of big Coy fish in there.

Also picked up the bearings and seals for the final drives and the front pedestal. $300 for those. I will try to get a picture of the part numbers, might help someone?

Any suggestions as to replacing the felt seal in the retaining plate. Steering rod goes through this. Seal and retainer/s is still there. Considering replacement of this seal while its out as a gap in the ends of the seal. The retainers are quite expensive. Soaking with blaster.

Skimmed the right frame rail with bondo, DA sanded flat and primed. This is as much body work as its going to get. Not building a trailer queen here!

Regards,
 Chris

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 6:26am
Those little sanding cabinets are great. You'll get tons of use from that thing!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2018 at 8:55pm
Folks,
Small steps:
I did get to the right frame rail. Wire brushed all surfaces and then used 24 grit sanding discs on a 4.5 inch grinder to remove most of the remaining paint. I may fill in some of the imperfections with a very thin coat of automotive body filler. These rails are one of the first things you see on a tractor.

Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2018 at 3:27pm
Ted, 
I have a lot of that happening too!

I got this little harbor freight sand blaster from the neighbor for free. I invested in new gloves, new plastic glass covers. It works pretty good on small parts after being through the electrolysis process. 

Another project is to weld up a rolling stand, add a light inside, and attach a shop vac. 

Off to work on the frame rails with some wire brushing and heavy coarse sand paper.

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 09 Oct 2018 at 3:30pm
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2018 at 7:38am
Originally posted by Allis dave Allis dave wrote:

You might take weird picture, but I make weird comments Confused The wooden handle screwdriver taking the cover off. Just like the one my dad had when I was a kid.
Looks like you guys had a fun time at the pull. 
I've still got a set of them!  There were 8 but now there's only 7 left...... one must have walked away with my 10 mm combination wrench.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2018 at 8:31pm
chaskado,
Here we can hunt in groups, but you have to tag your own.
Regards,
 Chris
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2018 at 4:48pm
Here in MN we have party hunting (my area), and if I had a son and or grandson I could put my tag on one they shot. Providing that they is in my hunting party.

1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2018 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by chaskaduo chaskaduo wrote:

Chris I hope ya get your venison, but how do you do that sleeping I need this secret method.

Yea not much harvesting while sleeping! But I really dont need to get one too bad! The son and grandson are avid hunters. I have gotten my share of deer in the 50 years of hunting. I am not a trophy hunter. 

Well the weather here is in the low 80's. Almost too warm for deer to move much. 

So I weed whacked around all the buildings and trees at or local tractor club grounds. We have a last tractor pull this Saturday. Not sure which tractors I am taking if any?

I did stop at the engine machine shop and he is going to try to have my machining work completed in the next couple weeks. Block is done, crank is done, he needs to work on the head. also I will plan to change the ring gear while this is apart. Some of the teeth are pretty rounded over. New 9 spring clutch also??

Also got a call for KAMAN and they have all my bearings and seals for the final drive refurb and also the front pedestal. 

I need to be working on cleaning up those rails! Wished I had a long narrow electrolis tank set up for those!

Hope things are good in ORANGE land!

Thanks for checking on me!
Regards,
 Chris
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 8:26pm
Chris I hope ya get your venison, but how do you do that sleeping I need this secret method.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 8:19pm
Folks,
 Yep still here. Cleaned oil grease and grime off the PTO box and the Hydraulic pump from the 45 today . 

Hunted (Horton crossbow) and napped for a couple hours this morning and this evening. Had two small yearling deer come right up to the stand this morning. That was neat!

Got that antique mirror (wood framed) project done and delivered to the daughter. 

Mostly quiet around here.
Regards,
 Chris

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2018 at 7:49am
Shameless, I was kind of thinking the same thing when I read Dreams reply! :) Just kidding Dream!

Hey I have been getting some of the black walnut wood used up for kids projects too. I had a bench/box built for son Eric for his mud room. No partical board in this unit. 4 foot long with the back too. Nice piece to set and take your hunting boots off.

Also I am working on a restoration/ up date of a big mirror that hung in our living rooms for 40 years + Took the mirror down and removed the wide mirrored edge pieces which left a flat mirror 32 x 52. I just glued up a Black Walnut frame for it last night and will try to finish it this week. That may go to daughter Kelly, Walnut Queen.

Air dried Black Walnut lumber cut to rough length. Took this to neighbor and he planed, joined, ripped and edged the pieces for me.

Starting to get the frame rails ready for miter cuts.

Miters done and fit up. It will have the 1/4 inch backer material glued and brad nailed to the outer frame.

Today we are off to cemetery to lay my anuts ashes next to her husband. I had the box built for her. Yep black Walnut!

Sorry! Getting off topic from Allis tractors! Still thinking about Don(MO)'s idea of a puller verses a work tractor??? Was up all night worried about it!:)

Thanks for checking in on me!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 03 Oct 2018 at 8:21pm
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2018 at 12:08am
carfull Dream...one of ya might gits splinters! lol
DREAM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DREAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 11:44pm
Not fair! I wanna go huntin, and I wanna camp fire! Too dang hot down here yet. Just be sweatin heavily on both counts. Cant wait for it to cool down enough to get Mrs Dream on the bench I made from an elm log in front of the fire in the fire pit.
I didn't do it! It was a short, fat, tall, skinny guy that looked like me!
copyrite1972 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote copyrite1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 10:02pm
As if the tractor magic wasn't enough to make most of us green with envy...... That picture of your fire pit, and just thinkin' bout those vittles.......Cry
One of these days..... Wink
You are a very lucky man, and you deserve every bit of it!  Clap
D15 Series II
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 8:32pm
Reindeer,
 Thanks! That means a bunch. The Forum really helps me keep somewhat focused on a project like this. 

Don,
 Still thinking on this puller project? Then I would have to post over in the Puller section!

On the WD45 Minor progress. Scrapped off some of the layers of old PO#1 from the frame rails. 

Our PA bow season opens tomorrow. So I spent part of the day brush hogging trails through the head high golden rod with the Golden Jubilee at Kel's place.  Weather was perfect 70 F. I saw a bald eagle twice, several deer beds and a muzzy shaped cloud float by. If I was a Indian, I would say, heap big medicine in that area! Our son Eric is looking for a 12 point to fill in his collection of trophy PA bucks! He will be there at first light.

I also have a hankerin for some of our home made venison Kielbasi, with a slice of NY state sharp cheese, a dollop of our Maple BBQ sauce, all on a Ritz cracker. About a dozen of those and you don't need supper! YUM!
We will be relocating my ladder stand behind the house Sunday and I will be hunting next week, with the crossbow. Ok ok, hunt a little, nap a lot!:)

Almost forgot the picture of the day. This is the view in the back yard looking west,when I was chatting with Don(MO) tonight! Fire felt good!

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 28 Sep 2018 at 8:46pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 45>
  Share Topic