This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD 45 next? YES!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 45>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 3.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 10:42am
After I got done with the brake job on my 'wide-front 45 last fall, my head hurt for a month! Kept sitting up and hitting things. Had to cut the pins out with a cutting torch, one shoe got hung up on the grove when I drove it through, had to cut it too. It was a frustrating job but man is it a good feeling when you step on the brakes and they work!
Sponsored Links

TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 8:51am
Ok, but sometimes it's a LOT WORSE, too! The right side was almost a pleasure. The left side - a very very long story...
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 8:48am
     Even if the linings look thick enough i'm sure you would be happier with nice fresh ones instead of the old glazed over and oil soaked ones. Two sets I have done I had to drill holes in the ends of the pins and tap threads into them. With a lot of Kroil and patience and several days of snugging up the bolts pulling on the pins and patience and a little pounding on the pins from below they came out. Usually if I got them out an inch or so the rest was pretty easy. Put some never seize on the new pins. I don't think the job is usually as bad  as it sounds.
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 8:07am
Oh AMEN to that... Chris, just fresh off my WD45's break job, no matter how bad it is, persistence wins. Heck, someone even had the wrong brake shoes on the left side, looked like the job was done 40 or more years ago. Mouse nests and skeletons up to the top cover. But eventually, by doing whatever had to be done because of severe limitations, it's done.
Just one thing - when you go to reline the shoes, send them to Rick (Corder). I know, I know, but just a reminder lol.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 8:54pm
Chris, no better time than right now to work on those brakes, (if they need it)! Much easier to get at things while it is torn down.
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by Bradleytrench Bradleytrench wrote:

Chris, Nice work. Did you do any work to the finals? Brakes? Or rear end?? Bobby MO

Bobby,
 You must have been reading my mind! I was typing (slowly) and the finals are coming up next. Any suggestions from you? I have new bearings and seals for the lower finals. 
Your Dad would say, its only nuts and bolts!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 10 May 2019 at 8:49pm
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by Allis dave Allis dave wrote:

Word of advice. After those are all bolted together, install your hyd pump. It's a lot easier now! Just don't do like I did. I installed the pump before I mated the torque tube and bell house. I couldn't in that last pesky bolt to mate them because the pump was in the off. Off came the pump...
Looks like it coming together nicely.

Dave,
 I remembered that and dont have the pump on yet. Thanks for the tip.
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 10 May 2019 at 8:46pm
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 8:37pm
AC folks,
So I have played with the brakes. The right side, under the seat, seem to be stuck on the lower pin and are not nearly as free as the left side. Just so happens that the right side is the WD final drive side. The left is the WD45 final drive. Yea this tractor has had a hard life! Anyway, my question is how do I check the thickness of the brake pads! I cant see down in there! My quess is the answer is to  take the top end apart and open them up to see the pads??
I havent even tried the infamous lower pins. I have been avoiding them!:)
I really would like to avoid a complete brake job.  But I want them to be free, adjusted and able to stop and hold the tractor safely.
I have read most of the stories about the pins! I am developing a mental plan if I need to go there. 

Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 2:21pm
Folks,
 I am going to look at the brakes and do a evaluation before this goes much farther. First do a good visual if there are linings still in there. Examine the drums again for cracks.
Maybe put some lube on the lower pivot pins too!:)
Regards,

Bradleytrench View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bradleytrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 1:41pm
Chris, Nice work. Did you do any work to the finals? Brakes? Or rear end?? Bobby MO
1 WD45D, 1 A2 GLEANER, Wd w 33mounted corn picker
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 1:28pm
Word of advice. After those are all bolted together, install your hyd pump. It's a lot easier now! Just don't do like I did. I installed the pump before I mated the torque tube and bell house. I couldn't in that last pesky bolt to mate them because the pump was in the off. Off came the pump...
Looks like it coming together nicely.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 1:23pm
Dave,
Sometimes I think their discounts are more of a pain than their worth! But I do shop there once in a while and a lot of there tooling is ok for my use.
This lifter/ leveler worked slick to help with the torque tube installation too. I set a level on the tranny and seen how it was not level, adjusted the torque tube assembly to approx same out of level condition. used the two alignment dowels to guide the two together. I was pleased that they went together with minimal jiggling!:) Now I know when these leak at this joint what needs to happen to fix that problem too!

Thanks for tuning in! 

Regards,
Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 26 May 2019 at 8:35pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 8:57am
That looks like a nice one. I used one for the first time putting the engine back in. worked great such with a wide front you have to squeeze the oil pan in being the front support.

I tried to make a stop at Harbor Freight a couple weeks ago 20% coupon in hand. THey were out of the jack I wanted.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 9:10pm
Folks,
 Had a chance to break out a new toy. The Harbor Freight engine lifter/leveler.
This is going to be a nice tool to help guide the Torque Tube and the engine into position.

Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 7:40am
Nah you're not too long? remember how long my engine thread went for?
I remember wrestling those tubes around. Try one thing, oops that didn't work. Take it apart and try again.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 6:42am
Dave, Joe, Folks,
 Thanks! Colombo? I liked that show! Humm never though about being like him. But I think that was a nice compliment. Humm prosperity you say, then me and the wife must be rich!:) We both have a problem! Its a race to the finish!

I wrestled with painting this Old Allis Torque tube assembly in the vertical position, back and forth with pros and cons all afternoon yesterday. Finally decided that the hardest part of painting one of these is the cleaning, and I cleaned the bottom of this torque tube assembly so I think its going together unpainted and then I will have most of the oily dirty stuff done. Just few minutes of cleaning and painting laying on my back!:)

Ok experts, a question: When I removed the torque tube I left one nut attached to the stud on the hand clutch. This effectively "pulled" the hand clutch off the stub shaft of the transmission. Now in my infinite wisdom I tightened all the nuts for the hand clutch and peened over the little lock plates over the nuts too. So what are my chances that this will allow the two shafts to mate? Dont know the answer? Well my guess is 50-50. But reality says I will have to loosen those clutch nuts again to allow the shafts to align! Just the way I bumble through projects. Still learning, But by doing I wont forget as quick.

Dave,
 That was just a spurt of energy in between lots of eating and resting!:) Dont expect that every day!

Like others have mentioned dont forget Mothers day! How thank full we should be for those women that brought us into this old world! And our wives that have raised our children too! I would have loved to have known my Mom! I was 1 -1/2 years old when she passed in a tragic car accident. My Dad, brother and I were in the car too. Guess it wasn't our time? Mom loved the farm life and the animals! I am sure my life would have been different. By the way, she would not have tolerated my messy shop!:) Her farm house was spotless! 

Sorry for rambling. Heck this whole thread is that way. Someday's I am a little concerned about it. I mean it's been almost two years, I think I have a problem!:)

Regards,
 Chris

Jgranat View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jgranat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 4:43am
Originally posted by Ted J Ted J wrote:

You know Chris, you're in the wrong line of work.  (I know, you're retired, but that is beside the point)  Your pics are magnificent and your work is well above that.  You're doing GREAT and this thread needs to go into the vault (Knowledge Base) when you've got the ole girl up and running.

YES, those models are color reversed.  I'm half blind in one eye and can't see out of the other, but I can see that.

You're doing GREAT and I for one, can't wait to hear it run!!

Ted I am starting to think Chris is like the "Columbo" of tractor restoration...a little apologizing, a few questions, some joking around while acting like he doesn't really know how it ends, and we get to see the pictures and witness something come together like  a well scripted TV show. 

Keep at it Chris, beautiful work.  As far as the garage being cluttered, clutter is a sign of prosperity, enjoy it!!
Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 9:07pm
Wow - Chris, you make more progress in one day than I would in a week!! This girl is going to look and run better than new when you're done.

Dave
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 6:24pm
Dave, Tim, Ted, Folks,
 Thanks for checking on me! The tractor got some attention today. First and formost please excuse my cluttered garage. I have a habit of not being very tidy about stuff. Sorry!:)
I worked on the assembly of the torque tube and bell housing today for the WD45.
I had taken this apart months ago and had forgotten what the reverse steps were.
I did get to practice putting the PTO gears and stub shaft in twice! Yea dont put that in first! Put the main drive shaft in the torque tube then the PTO gears. Also practice up on your favorite words because you will need a few for that PTO gear assembly!

Cleaned the paint off the torque first: Installed the welsh plug on the left side of the TT for the hand clutch pivot shaft. Another "while your in there item"!

The PTO gears the first time even had lock wire in place!

My version of setting the TT on end:

This was the first time. Cant get the bearing and splined gear in with the PTO gears in first.
This allowed me to tap in the bearing and the spline drive for the hand clutch. Hand clutch installed too.

PTO gears in place the second time needs lock wire
My version of installing the bell housing, Reverse of the service manual.

Bell housing lowered over the shaft from the torque tube:

Gasket installed with goop on both sides: Gently /slowly lowered the bell housing over the shaft to avoid damage to the seal in the bell housing.

Front seal survived the installation:

Look close and you can see two dowels in the bell housing to guide the two halves together. Worked good. Looked through this inspection cover to guide the bell housing into position down the shaft.

Assembly back in horizontal position: That's enough fun for one day!

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 08 May 2019 at 7:03pm
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 4:10pm
You know Chris, you're in the wrong line of work.  (I know, you're retired, but that is beside the point)  Your pics are magnificent and your work is well above that.  You're doing GREAT and this thread needs to go into the vault (Knowledge Base) when you've got the ole girl up and running.

YES, those models are color reversed.  I'm half blind in one eye and can't see out of the other, but I can see that.

You're doing GREAT and I for one, can't wait to hear it run!!
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 7:00am
Allis dave you sound like a stuck record.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 6:19am
Originally posted by Sugarmaker Sugarmaker wrote:

Dave, Folks,
These clutch discs remind me of old 45 phonograph records!
Regards,
 Chris

Are you sure they're not WD45 phonograph records??LOL

Sorry bad joke
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 9:40pm
AC gents,
 The clutch parts went together well. I used the procedure in the service manual and also had watched a video that folks had on YouTube. I ended up aligning it on the shaft protruding from the transmission. That is the shaft it has to go on any way. Wanted to make sure it fit there. 
Cheated and used some .140 wood spacers instead of $150 worth of new shims.
Then measured the gaps, subtracted .005 inch and made the new shim stacks. Basically added .015 to .018 inches of new shims.

Regards,
 Chris

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 3:36pm
Dave, Folks,
I am still learning about these clutches. A big thanks to Sandy Lake (Brenda and Bill) for reviewing this clutch on the bench with me and getting the new outside clutch disc with two days! Awesome response. I can start to put the clutch back together and maybe get the torque tube and bell housing back on this WD45 too! 
These clutch discs remind me of old 45 phonograph records!
Regards,
 Chris

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 3:21pm
wow, that's nice, I bet not many on here have ever seen a new one.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 3:19pm
Folks,
 New clutch disc:
Measures .100 inches for thickness.

Regards,
 Chris

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2019 at 8:30pm
Folks,
Pumpkin paint was remixed, new primer gun purchased. 

Picked up a couple tables along the road.

Fender work today. Mostly on the inside. shot some primer.

Regards,
 Chris

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2019 at 5:32pm
Ranse,
 Those colors look exactly reversed!:)
Thanks!
ExSW,
Yea to get the orange color I may end up with more paint. That's why I was wondering about the D17. 
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2019 at 5:13pm
Guys,
 Thanks! I needed the support. I found a portion of a gallon of the Tisco brand paint setting on the shelf. mixed it and painted some on the underside of the lid. Almost a perfect match with the lid. So my eye is not too bad. Will take that to the paint gods and get down on my knees I guess!:)

Joe your right get it close, be happy, and keep moving!

I worked towards getting this engine block ready for primer. Scuffed the parts that were in Rustoleum. I wanted to test this new primer over the Rustoleum. Also used wax and grease remover which removed a lot of dirt. from the block, several applications of that.
Sun came out, rolled the engine out of the garage, mixed some primer loaded up the old cup gun and tried it. This primer is a high fill type and its way thicker than anything I ever used. Would be nice if it was a different shade of gray as I cant see where the old primer is covered totally.

Also did the inside of the left fender just to try the new primer over the old. Seemed OK not popping or lifting yet! So if the weather is right I have a lot of parts that need painted. I even bought one of those fancy paint stands! Its going to be a nice addition to the shop too! At 40 bucks I may get a matching one!

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 05 May 2019 at 5:29pm
Jgranat View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jgranat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2019 at 2:33pm
If I obsessed over perfection I'd probably never get outta bed in the morning for fear of failure. Lol. Get it close enough to appease yourself and apply to tractor. It will be fine.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 45>
  Share Topic