This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D19 Diesel engine work

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D19 Diesel engine work
    Posted: 19 Mar 2016 at 7:33pm
Started removing the engine for a little engine rebuild, this one will be getting 6 NOS pistons and sleeves,gasket set, ex-manifold and a hand full of more NOS parts the owner has just for this tractor. It's nice installing NOS parts again just like it was back in the good old days.
Like all jobs you have to start somewhere. lol

Edited by Don(MO) - 20 Mar 2016 at 9:30am
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

Sponsored Links

DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2016 at 8:43pm
Nice looking tractor.  I am sure it's in good hands now!
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2016 at 6:42pm
Pulled the head off and all six sleeves are down to low so I'm thinking the block will get decked and counter bores re-cut so the engine is coming out, no quickie in-frame on this one.

3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2016 at 8:24am
Don is that considered a PC head?   Leon   Cmo
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2016 at 9:59am
Sorta,,Lanova is diff than than other pre cup systems
FHOliver View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHOliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2016 at 1:44pm
Don, Ive wanted to thank you for some time now for the great info and pics. It helps tons of guys. Also have a D19 story to share. 1978 I worked in a dealer and we did a lot of work for one farmer who was all allis. His d19 had 10,000 hrs on it and i mean they were hard hrs. he wasnt exactly gentle. It limped in on about 4 cylinders and I rebuilt it for the first time, eng never was touched before. The block was so bad cracked and low sleeves and everything you could think of was wrong. We just orderd a new block and it showed up in 3 days from batavia ill. dont remember cost. Dont ya wish we had a crystal ball and ordered extras ha ha. I Uncrated it, steam cleaned it, and carried block to shop area. later looked at shipping papers and block alone was between 280 and 300 lbs. I never could pick one up again !!!! More muscle than brain back then not a lot of either now !! all new injector tips and beautiful rebuild , cuople hrs on dyno and she was a sweetheart
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 12:09am
Leon the short answer is yes it's a PC head and Steve is spot on it's a little bit diff, I will try to find the video of the Lanova head setup and post it.
Frank nice story about replacement engine and funny you posted about installing one in a D19, this D19 engine is a replacement two. I have not nor will I try to lift one of them up.lol 

Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 1:52am
I didn't find the video I was looking for but this might help you understand better how the
Allis Chalmers Buba Diesel head works. Lanova systems and most pre-cup Diesel systems are a little bit diff but this will give you some idea how it fires.  I hope.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll3eK_EvsBE

FHOliver View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHOliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 9:53am
Don, in hindsight I didnt mean to hijack the thread. please keep pics coming, Also how can you tell its a replacement ? lack of serial # ?
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 10:42am
Originally posted by FHOliver FHOliver wrote:

Don, in hindsight I didnt mean to hijack the thread. please keep pics coming, Also how can you tell its a replacement ? lack of serial # ?

First off you didn't hijack. Smile Yes the lack of the ser # is one way to tell.

Skyhighballoon(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyhighballoon(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 3:29pm
Don. That tractor will sure be one the owner can crow about when you get it done. Mike
1981 Gleaner F2 Corn Plus w 13' flex
1968 Gleaner EIII w 10' & 330
1969 180 gas
1965 D17 S-IV gas
1963 D17 S-III gas
1956 WD45 gas NF PS
1956 All-Crop 66 Big Bin
303 wire baler, 716H, 712H mowers
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by Skyhighballoon(MO) Skyhighballoon(MO) wrote:

Don. That tractor will sure be one the owner can crow about when you get it done. Mike

Mike the tractor owners like you and the nice guy that own this tractor's make my job a piece of cake. I can't name who my customers are in-less they let me, I'll bet he will let me sometime. lol  

DonDittmar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 5:35pm
I've been there
Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Also 1965 Cub Loboy and 1958 JD 720 Diesel Pony Start
Michael Crowe View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael Crowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 10:22pm
Don, no harm in disclosing its my tractor. I'm looking forward to using it with the new motor.
The 14th Annual Exclusive AC Swap Meet will be held in Boonville, MO, March 7-8, 2025. See the club website for details: http://www.moacclub.com/
ac45dave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac45dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 10:45pm
all i can say, it's in the best hands it could be in.Thumbs Up
54 wd-45gas ; 56 wd-45d N/F w/fact p/s ; 63 d-17 sIII N/F gas ; 60 D14 N/F ; 67 d-17 sIV N/F gas ; 63D15 sII W/F; 39rc#667 ; 2021 massey 4710 fwa ; gravely 2 wheel tractors
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 10:59pm
Hmmmmm. Is there some puns going on here that Michael "Crowe" should be able to "crow" about this tractor when it's done? I am envious "in a good way" of this project. BTW, nice talking to you this morning Don, and I will definitely be getting back to you soon. Darrel
OnlyAC View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnlyAC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 10:26am
Any update on this project or progress pictures.  I have a D19 Diesel that runs really rough until it warms up and I feel like I will need to do a rebuild on it as well.  
TomMN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomMN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 11:37am
Since the Lanova system is being discussed here I can post a picture we took of the cut-away WD45 diesel head and air-cell with an injector firing.  The main portion of the fuel pulse is directed into the air-cell. Since the stream flows across the combustion chamber in the head some of the outer mist from the injector misses the air-cell hole and ignites there. The piston is still on its way up during the injection pulse so the beginning of the flame in the combustion chamber enters the air-cell igniting the fuel there. All that exploding pressure is metered out through the orifice of the air-cell. You can see that the WD45 air-cell has two spherical chambers with metered orifices, not sure if the D19 air-cells are the same. I put together what information I could find on the Lanova system back in 2006 when I was working on mine.  Here is a link to that:
http://www.allis01.com/fossto/Lanova_System.html

TomMN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomMN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 11:44am
One more fun picture of the Lanova cycle.

Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by TomMN TomMN wrote:

Since the Lanova system is being discussed here I can post a picture we took of the cut-away WD45 diesel head and air-cell with an injector firing.  The main portion of the fuel pulse is directed into the air-cell. Since the stream flows across the combustion chamber in the head some of the outer mist from the injector misses the air-cell hole and ignites there. The piston is still on its way up during the injection pulse so the beginning of the flame in the combustion chamber enters the air-cell igniting the fuel there. All that exploding pressure is metered out through the orifice of the air-cell. You can see that the WD45 air-cell has two spherical chambers with metered orifices, not sure if the D19 air-cells are the same. I put together what information I could find on the Lanova system back in 2006 when I was working on mine.  Here is a link to that:
http://www.allis01.com/fossto/Lanova_System.html

Tom that's a nice cut away and tells the story way better that I can, good job. Thanks for posting it.

Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 9:31pm
I had some time this week to dig into the D19 and found some rounded camshaft lobs and lifters cupped, crankshaft will be getting reground, block decked and counter bores re-cut.  It's a good thing the owner has lots of NOS parts for the D19.
Looks like one more total rebuild.

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 8:22am
Don,
 Your right into it now! Great pictures of what to look for on these engines.
Thanks for posting the pictures. I love the before and after stuff and the inspection work needed to determine next moves.
What are the big items that folks cant get any more for these engines? Is there a list of things that you just cant get as remans?
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 8:39am
Well Chris the list of part that can't be found new or rebuilt is long for the D19 engines, it's a hunt for parts for the 230/262's gas or Diesel. Right now it's a hunt for piston/sleeve kits, things like the cam just are not in-stock even from AGCO. That's what makes them so much fun to rebuilt and I like the parts hunt. lol 

OnlyAC View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnlyAC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 9:23am
Well, I'm starting to get an uneasy feeling about mine now.  My Dad had purchased my D19 and he is no longer with us.  It has always misfired when cold but looking at all the problems they seem to have and the lack of parts, this is going to be an extremely tough restoration. Thank you for documenting all the problems with yours so I will know what to look for when I tear in to it. 
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 9:48am
Originally posted by OnlyAC OnlyAC wrote:

Any update on this project or progress pictures.  I have a D19 Diesel that runs really rough until it warms up and I feel like I will need to do a rebuild on it as well.  

All 262 diesels run on the rough side when you start them up.  No need to rebuild it because of that.  Mine had 200 hours on a rebuild and was (still is) like that when I bought it.  Put it to work after a few minutes and it runs great.  Lots of power and very little smoke.
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
OnlyAC View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnlyAC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 10:42am
Well I know at least 1 cylinder if not 2 have low compression and don't fire until it warms up. We have had the injectors tested and they are fine. Makes it a bear to start even in warm weather.  Without removing The head, are there any symptoms that would indicate that the sleeves have dropped?  I'm worried that its going to look like the one Don is working on now and I don't want to hurt the engine before I get a chance to fix it. 
AC list: B-10 | B-112 | WC | WD45 | D12 | D14 high-crop | D17 gas | D17 Diesel | D19 gas | D19 Diesel | 185 |
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 11:37am
I can say the only symptom mine gave from dropped sleeves is leaking head gasket. After seeing that other mess that was brought to Don to straighten out, makes me wish I had take pics of my 262 as I took it apart. It didn't have the bad rookie advice that Don's customer got, but it had some bad machine/assembly work.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
TramwayGuy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TramwayGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 12:44pm
Has anyone ever tried to use shims under the sleeve flange to raise them up? Or maybe there's no such thing?
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 12:49pm
Don't let some of the stuff that I run into stop you from rebuilding yours, parts are still out there you just haft to look harder now.lol
Older engines just need more help, just like older men need more help than we did years ago. lmao

SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by TramwayGuy TramwayGuy wrote:

Has anyone ever tried to use shims under the sleeve flange to raise them up? Or maybe there's no such thing?

If you could see how narrow the flange is,you would understand that a shim is about out of question.

Don,if you get a chance,could you post a pic of either the sleeve or the counterbore to show how minute it is?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic