This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

7030 for super field

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7060 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 7030 for super field
    Posted: 04 Sep 2014 at 10:39pm
I bought this tractor today, and am considering making a puller out of it. I want to start out in super field, and eventually graduate to hot farm class. Will the 3500 series engine hold together as good as a 3700? Will the clutch handle it okay, or should I go ahead and add more plates? Rules would be 10,200 lbs, 2900rpm, roosa .450, water injection, 3lm466 or equivalent turbo, and no intercooler.

Edited by 7060 - 04 Sep 2014 at 11:00pm
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2014 at 6:46am
3500 Mark 2 engine and 3700 engines are identical except for the intercooler on the 3700 and in the case of a 7030, it doesn't have the block drilled for piston cooling jets. If it was mine, and I had the engine all apart, I'd easily drill these little holes in the upper main bearing saddles. If the Power Director clutch is resealed and in good mechanical condition, it will handle the HP you're talking about. RoosaMaster "450" doesn't fit on a Mark 2 engine. You'll need a 7080 or old N-6 injection pump and larger injector tips 4 hole x .020" or .022" set at 2800 psi. American Bosch M-100 injection pump from an 8000 series would be better. 3LM turbo or equivalent is interesting.....I'd probably look for an "equivalent" as there are better ones than a 3LM466.
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2014 at 8:02am
I have an adapter made to adapt a .450 DB pump to a MKII style front plate. I've built lots of .450 pumps for pullers, and since they outperform a DM4 by over 100cc, I figured it would be a good investment in designing the adapter. I also build injectors, and get lines as well. You'll just have to bend them to fit. pm for more details. 
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
7060 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7060 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2014 at 11:28am
Scratch the super field, not even sure it still exists as I was reading a year old rule book. Moving on up to 9000lb Hot Farm. The rules are no intercoolers exept for the AC 426 at 3000rpm - 10mm bosch A, .450 roosa,or ambac 100 at 13mm - Water injection - 2.82" inlet and wheel turbo, or an optional box 3x3 turbo GT4202 or GT4202R.
O.P.S. Heads View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O.P.S. Heads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2014 at 2:13pm
1 - So does it have to be the Allis 426 intercooler or can it be any intercooler?

2 - Can you run more that 426 cubes with an intercooler? I assume you can not and that's why you get a cooler with a 426.

3 - What is the cubic inch limit for the red and green tractors?

4 - How are the officials able to tell what size plungers are in each pump?

This could be an alright class for an Allis depending on what the other colors get to use.

Edited by O.P.S. Heads - 05 Sep 2014 at 2:34pm
7060 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7060 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2014 at 5:11pm
AC 7060 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC 7060 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2014 at 7:53pm
Can you run ice water in the intercooler
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O.P.S. Heads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2014 at 2:20am
That answers all of my questions other than the who can tell the size of the plungers in each pump. That is probably the biggest question of them all in my mind.

If you are confined to the 426 intercooler whether you can run ice water through it or not I would go to 466 inches with an inline pump. A 10 mm inline pump(or any of the other pump choices) will most likely not be enough to keep a 2.8 turbo up at 3,000 RPM even at 466 cubes. The good news is that it should be the same for everybody as long as they have legal sized injection pumps.

This is still a class where an Allis can compete.

Keep us posted on thing to come. This could be a competitive class for the old 426.
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2014 at 8:10am
Besides my 450 roosa, I also build a couple different mean Bosch A pumps. 10mm bosch plungers, good for 340cc, 10mm Denso plunger 440cc, or 12mm plunger at 600cc max. For you rules and setup, I'd recoment the 10mm denso. Your rules have that limit, so I won't build a 12 for you in that class. 
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O.P.S. Heads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2014 at 12:15pm
I agree. Go for the pump which will deliver the most and still be legal.

440 cc's at 466 cubes might surpass what the stock PD clutch will handle - but that's a good problem to have. A 7580 clutch might be needed or as someone suggested earlier, lock up both high and low sides of the clutch at the same time.

Combine that with high range gears from a power shift transmission(used with high range gears from a power director transmission) and replace the 7030 4th gear pair with a 7040 4th gear pair and you will have many fast gears to pick from.

Edited by O.P.S. Heads - 07 Sep 2014 at 12:18pm
7060 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7060 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2014 at 5:54pm
Thanks for all the advice. Ed I'll be talking to you when I make it to the pump. The guy I bought it from said that the rear end locked up after chisel plowing froze ground, so I have another 7030 rear end and a 7060 rear end with bad range gears. I think I'm going to go with the 7030 rear for simplicity, will it be alright for the horsepower?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O.P.S. Heads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2014 at 8:47am
If rear end and transmission are in good condition you won't break it. Dr. Allis could tell you if the differential needs to be needled or not. He is very familiar with that driveline.

As stated before. Keep us updated on the progress. This is an interesting project with potential to compete well. 466 cubes is easy to get out of the 426 whether you increase the bore or increase the stroke. No boring of the block would be required.

Good luck
7060 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7060 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2014 at 3:11pm
From doing other searches on here it sounds like stroke would be an easier way to get there. Does anyone know of a place to get a stroked crank, or is that even my best option? Also do I double spring my TL or machine myself a solid one?
7060 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7060 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2014 at 3:34pm
Ice is being allowed in the intercoolers on tractors with engine sizes of 410 c.i. and smaller. Also, Ice would be allowed in Allis Chalmers Tractors equipped with Factory InterCoolers but only if engine maintains 426 C.I. It may not be decubed.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O.P.S. Heads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2014 at 3:42pm
A longer stroke would be less costly I would think. 5.450" stoke gets you to 464 cubes with stock buckets. Ed has at least one vendor he can recommend. Find a counter balanced crankshaft out of a 7080, 7580, N5, N6. Use the OEM pistons, machine the top off, and machine the bowls and valve reliefs. Heat treat the conn rods please. You might consider using the newer, 1.750" wrist pin rods and pistons. With that said you might consider finding and N5 - N6 engine complete and running. It would have the piston cooled block, counter balanced crank, big pin rods and pistons.

I think with the ft. lbs. you have the potential to produce you better make the torque limiter solid or you might be disappointed. One less thing to slip.

If the 426 intercooler was as efficient as the newer Precision intercoolers I would say go with it and leave it at 426 inches. That would be a low cost way to get the job done. Even with ice water running through them, the 426 cooler will do okay, but won't make up 40 cubic inches I don't think. If they allowed you to use any ice water intercooler you wanted, I would go a Precision or any bar and plate core type cooler every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Edited by O.P.S. Heads - 09 Sep 2014 at 3:51pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O.P.S. Heads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2014 at 4:14pm
Whatever you do save enough money for a good fuel system and turbo. If that means leaving it a 426 with the 426 cooler, then so be it. I'm not sure what your budget is and although it might sound like I am trying to spend all of your money for you, that isn't my intent. Just to be safe, figure 2500 - 3,000.00 for a turbo and worked from there. Ed will know what the fuel system will cost.

As I said earlier in the post, I don't know if you can turn a 2.8 inlet turbo or not, but if you can, there are some awesome 2.8 billet wheel turbo's available. My guess is that a really good 2.8 billet turbo will out perform a standard "out of the box" 2.95" GT42.
7060 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7060 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2014 at 4:37pm
I have 2-3500's and most of a 3700 engine out of a 7060. If I go the stroked route will I need new sleeves to eliminate any ring groove from previously running engines. I want to have somewhere in the $10,000 range to start out if at all possible. Will a good billet turbo cost a lot more than a new gt42?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O.P.S. Heads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2014 at 5:00pm
Yep. I would guess a new GT42 (journal bearing) could be bought for $1500.

To satisfy my own curiosity I will check with some turbo shops and see if they think a billet 2.8 will outperform the stock GT42. One advantage I see right off the bat is that the GT42 has a 2.95 outlet on the exhaust wheel. I saw no rule that said the exhaust wheel limit was 3 inches or less. With the non GT42 turbo (whatever it may be) you could run larger than a 3 inch outlet which will be an advantage I would think. I will report back when I find out.
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2014 at 8:11am
I think it will run pretty good with the 10mm denso plunger A pump and supporting hardware, then with a 2.6" inlet S300 for $625. It will get it on the track!
NEVER green View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEVER green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2014 at 8:32am
   You cant beat the S300 for the money.
2-8050 1-7080 6080 D-19 modelE & A 7040   R50       
7060 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7060 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2014 at 11:29am
We are talking about an out of the box S300?
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2014 at 12:15pm
yes. Never green bought one from me, we all run them in our pulling class, just the smaller version. In an RPM limited class, the turbo limit is not necessarily as big a turbo as you'll need. I see so many over turbocharged tractors it's not even funny! Just because the rule is 3X3 or whatever, doesn't mean you'll run the best with that big a windmill. 
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O.P.S. Heads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2014 at 1:10pm
As I mentioned before, I doubt there is any way you will effectively spin a 2.8 inch turbo with less than 550 - 600 cc's of fuel@ 3200 RPM. I would agree with the limited pump you will probably be in the 2.5 - 2.6" inlet size turbo range.

The S300 turbo is a good turbo at a good price. A few different compressors and exhaust wheels and housings to choose from too. The Holset HX50 would be another good choice for what you want to do.

7060 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7060 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2014 at 2:01pm
I run a custom welding and fabrication business. Would designing my own exhaust manifold be beneficial to increase flow, or is steel a bad idea? Having trouble finding an original d21 manifold, and I think I could design one better. I don't see anything about the exhaust not being factory.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O.P.S. Heads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2014 at 3:24pm
Steel is not a bad idea but may change shape and need to be surfaced a couple of times before it finds it shape. Every time you take it off and lay a straight edge across where it mates to the cylinder head it will not be flat.

If done correctly it will increase flow and from what others have said a divided manifold is a plus. We use carbon steel weld elbows. Some use stainless which I am sure would be better. No need for great big runners. The size of the exhaust port is big enough.

Your skills will come in handy on this project. Frame rails, front axle, drawbar, weight brackets, wheelie bars, etc. Lots of work for a skilled fab guy to do on a puller.

By the way, getting an 18 inch long drawbar on that tractor may require reconstructive surgery to the rear housing. Easy enough for someone with your abilities.   

Edited by O.P.S. Heads - 10 Sep 2014 at 3:40pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O.P.S. Heads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2014 at 4:21pm
Here is an inexpensive 2.6 inlet turbo. They make three versions of the 2.6. This is the mild one.

http://www.precisionturbo.net/turbochargers/truck-pulling/details/2-6-x-3-Truck-Pulling-Turbocharger/540

Do you have to spend $4800.00 on a turbo to have fun? Certainly not. It's just an example of what's out there. Precision stuff is really good... and expensive.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2014 at 5:32pm
Make six adapter blocks and use an IH DT414 exhaust manifold. That will be better than an AC 426 manifold and probably better than you can fabricate.
7060 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7060 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2014 at 6:15pm
I was thinking about making it more like headers angling up to a short 4" square tube box for the turbo to set on with a divider plate in it. That way it can flex as it heats and still maintain seal. Tig weld it all together with short sweep 90's and seamless DOM tubing. I never thought about fitting a different breed to it dr.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2014 at 6:27pm
The results with the more modern "pulse" design IH manifold are worth the extra effort to adapt. Been there.....dun that. Look at almost any good exhaust manifold on a modern turbo engine and they are very similar in design......small tight runners......6-5-4 feed into one half of the turbo.....3-2-1 feed into the other half.....again SMALL tight runners all in a straight line almost all the way.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O.P.S. Heads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2014 at 6:33pm
The IH manifold is probably hands down your best option and there are plenty of them to be found.

If you do use steel 90 degree bends, consider putting two of them against each other with two legs pointing up for the turbo flange, one leg points forward for the front three cylinders and the other leg points reward for the rear three. You my have to grind / cut some of the 90's flat where the touch in the center at the turbo flange. Much smoother transition than a box tubing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic