This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D14 power steering install

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve(SEMN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D14 power steering install
    Posted: 09 Feb 2010 at 9:20am

Purchased a factory power steering unit and  installed it.  The steering wheel will only turn if I turn the wheel with  arm strength. The steering wheel is easier to turn with the engine off. Could it be a bad steering valve(motor) which is on the left side  when sitting on the tractor.  We do have the lines hooked up correct.  

Edited by Steve(SEMN) - 27 Feb 2010 at 11:45am
Sponsored Links

tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2010 at 9:35am
if you are sure your inlet and return are not reversed, then the inner workings are not sliding and are stuck.  When the wheel is turned the spool slides to help  push the cylinder rack forward or rearward to assist the mechanical steering.   Check the plumbing, return, and then you maybe in for a tear down of the body of the control valve unit.   
BrettPhillips View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrettPhillips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2010 at 10:29am
Check to be sure that the steering input shaft is free to float  in and out of the valve housing.  This end play is what actuates the valve spool.  If the splined shaft that comes forward from the universal joint is too long or bound up in the coupling, it could cause a problem like you describe.  The reason I say this, is that there are two different length shafts. Perhaps you have modified the longer one from your manual setup by shortening it to fit. (do-able, but the length is important.)  Also check to be sure someone hasn't got the cylinder lines mixed up at the valve. That's not likely unless the lines have been replaced with homemade versions.  Basically just what tbran said....
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2010 at 11:37am
I just put one on one of my D14's.  If yours came with the original rigid lines, there is no way you could have hooked them up wrong.  I had a heck of a time just getting them connected, there was no way I could have swapped them!

You might try loosening the large screw/bolt on the side of the pump.  It has a spring inside and acts like a relief valve, but I'm not exactly sure what it does.  I'm not a hyd expert!  You don't want the tractor running when you do that!!!
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
TerryMN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerryMN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2010 at 1:01pm
I think Brett has something with the free play on the shaft splines. The Steering motor also acts like a valve and has to center itself. If it is bound one way or the other by the manuel side of the system it will keep sending oil to the cylinder.
Steve(SEMN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve(SEMN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2010 at 7:56am
Okay guys edited my post again after a night of evaluation. Any other ideas. Will the pump not run if the steering valve motor  does not work.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrettPhillips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2010 at 8:08am
Well, if the lines are hooked up right and the valve spool is free to move, my next move would be to check for fluid flow.  Try cracking the small line that runs from the back of the pump to the valve with the engine running.  If there is no pressure or flow there, check for obstructions in the large suction line or a sheared key in the pump.  The Barnes pumps are bad for wearing out the woodruff keys and keyways in the shaft and gears.  I put probably 40 hours of machine shop time into rebuilding mine with new parts that I made.
Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2010 at 8:13am
If you have a Barnes pump and need parts, that will be a challenge. I also had to search for parts - got the drive gear (NOS) from Eldon in WA and the driven gear from someone in MI. Had to have that one machined down - it was for a higher capacity pump and thus too wide for mine. But it works!
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Steve(SEMN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve(SEMN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2010 at 10:46am
Update on the power steering.I have good news. Brett Phillips was right about the spool valve needing to float freely in and out. The first one did not move. Examined a second control valve body and noticed that the spool valve moved  1/4  inch or so by hand.  Installed this second valve last night and I now have one finger power steering. Do these valves get stuck on working tractors or play out in time from sitting? Does anyone rebuild them? Thanks for all your input guys.
norm [ind] View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norm [ind] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2010 at 8:48pm
  we have the 228850 gear in stock neew repos 10t 1-800-254-3116
onetotaltoolman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onetotaltoolman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2024 at 6:16pm
Ok - finished a stem to stern rebuild on a D14 that was headed to the salvage yard. New paint, and it looks cool. It was gushing oil from anywhere there was oil, so now complete. Except,,, one oil leak. After a few weeks of prodding, the seal on the rear of the steering control motor leaks. It isn't the seal. Replaced the original when i rebuilt the power steering unit , and when the ONLY leak on the tractor appeared after the overhaul, i pulled the front support, and replaced the seal again. still leaks. only hint i have that something is not right is a slight delay when the tractor is still and i turn from right to left. Very minor hitch before smooth operation. I have spent a ton of time trying to figure this one out. Now i'm wondering if i may have done something wrong on the overhaul of the steering control motor (which is really just replacing o-rings). For those that chimed in on this thread, does anyone have any ideas? Facing reality that i will have to pull the front support off again (3rd. time),,,,, Thanks to all. 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrettPhillips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2024 at 9:28am
Sounds like you may have a shaft problem, or possibly a bearing problem?  My mind is now rusty on the D14 power steering, since mine has been flawless for nearly 15 years.  Sounds like you're going to have a really nice tractor when you get the steering sorted out!

Edited by BrettPhillips - 16 Feb 2024 at 9:29am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic