This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD45 smashing spark plugs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Farrell(Utah) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WD45 smashing spark plugs
    Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 10:44am
I received a call from some friends the other day asking for some help with their WD45.  As they told me, it was smashing the outer electrode of the spark plugs against the central electrode.  They said the tractor would run right at idle but would do the smashing act when revved up.  All of this was happening on cylinders 1 and 2.  Admittedly, I wasn't buying the story until I saw it happen.  After the tractor would start to miss, you could pull out the culprit plug and the two electrodes would be smashed together.  There were marks showing that something was striking the plug.  We ran it briefly without the two plugs and it sent something out the holes and then it started running right.
    My hunch is that a piece of the old manifold must have flaked off to get material into cylinders 1 and 2 simultaneously.  So far it has been fine but the head might need to come off to identify the problem.  
A(1937), 2 G, 2 WD45 diesels, 6 WD45 gas, UC, 2 WD, D17 gas, WF, Farmall 400, D12, Kubota B3030
Sponsored Links

sks72107 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sks72107 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 10:59am
Seems elementary, but do the plugs have the proper reach?? Also, perhaps take a light and put pistons at TDC and look for an imprint on piston

Edited by sks72107 - 02 Apr 2012 at 11:01am
Farrell(Utah) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Farrell(Utah) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 11:03am
The tractor has Autolites in it and I have never used them.  We put in some new AC45s that I have always used with the same result.
A(1937), 2 G, 2 WD45 diesels, 6 WD45 gas, UC, 2 WD, D17 gas, WF, Farmall 400, D12, Kubota B3030
Matt MN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 11:24am
It would have to be a foreign object floating around in there if you have the correct plugs in it. You said you ran it with out those 2 plugs and something came out with the compression? how did it run after that? either the manifold is flaking rust internally or there is a valve seat that is letting loose, or just a huge chunk of carbon.
Unless your are the lead horse the scenery never changes!!
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 12:13pm
What head is on the engine and what plug are you using?
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
John (C-IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John (C-IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 12:14pm
Try indexing the plugs so the electrode is on the head side of the cylinder. It may take a few plugs to find ones that will index properly.
Steve from Wis. View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve from Wis. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 1:58pm
when I saw the heading I thought you were advertising your new band.
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 2:16pm
What number Autolites? 295's is what belongs in there. Not only could it be a chuck of debris from the intake, it also could be a chunk of failing piston. There could possibly be a crack in the piston and its coming apart.. (?)  Not good whatever it is......
Bill_MN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill_MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 4:08pm
its highly unlikely but what if there is a humongous layer of carbon on top of the piston? take a flashlight and look down in there. I don't know how much clearance there is between the piston and the electrode at TDC but guessing it isn't all that much. if two cylinders are doing it maybe there is a blockage in the water jacket causing uneven cooling and thus more fouling and carbon buildup at that end of the engine. I'm probably way off base here but just something to consider
1951 WD #78283, 1918 Case 28x50 Thresher #76738, Case Centennial B 2x16 Plow
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 4:16pm
Its simple put a 3/8 or 460 reach in it instead of the 3/4 reach plug is hitting the backside of the head. It cannot hit the piston.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 9:49pm
I'm with ML on this one- unless someone's fitted some OTHER head on it (mebbie something from a buda power unit?)  the spark plug is in a 'pocket', such that the piston would have to 'reach in' and strike it from the SIDE.  "Clocking" the plugs would keep the welded-end of the electrode from being contacted, but I really don't think the piston comes close enough to strike it regardless... there would hafta be LOTS of crud in that cylinder to make anything hit the plug.  Only time I've seen that, is an engine that's sat a while, and mud-dauber (wasps) got in it.

If the plug is too long, the electrode just hitting the inside of the pocket, you should be able to turn the plug in, and back it out, and see evidence of contact on the plug, without ever running it.

My question is- why cylinders one and two, and not the rest...

What's the 'long' story of this engine-  how long did it sit, did it wind up full of water, or anything like that?  Did mud-wasps get in there and build nests in the intake or cylinders?

Another thing you can try... only turn the plug in about half way, and try it out, and see what happens.  Don't leave it that way, just try it to see if you get the same result.  If the cylinders are full of crud, running it without a plug, revving it up a bit, SHOULD blow a bunch, if not all of it... out the stack.

If they're mud-wasps, you could do something really crazy, but I've done it on a few (two of 'em locomotive) engines...  pull the plug, rinse the affected cylinder with water using a piece of 1/4" plastic tubing... run the water full-blast, and let water run out the plug hole, and when it stops flowing mud, crank it over by hand to get the worst of the water out, squirt oil in the cylinder, hand crank again, then start the engine without the plug in place, run for about 10 seconds, shut it down, put the plug back in, and fire it up.  Once it's calmed down, change the oil and filter, as there'll probably be mud and water in the oil, too.

Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2012 at 4:40pm
AC45 is a short reach plug. Do you know anybody with a bore scope? If you were here I have one we could look inside with.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2012 at 6:57pm
The ngk non-projected plugs with gasket t 3/4 don't hit the back side of the plug window but does expose about, 3 treads to combustion.

Edited by mlpankey - 03 Apr 2012 at 6:59pm
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2012 at 7:19pm
the hole at the bottom of the valves is the widow where the plug is . the plug will never angle down past the deck of the head . You can also  see that a 3/4 reach projected tip could hit the backside of the plug window /hole.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2012 at 7:44pm
If someone would like to see a 3/4 reach non projected NGK plug in a head beside a 3/8 reach plug on a head allis recommends using a 3/8 plug on just ask and i will post .
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2012 at 8:17pm
3/8 plug in head
3/4 plug in head
Farrell(Utah) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Farrell(Utah) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2012 at 11:16pm
Thanks for your posts.  I thought this was an unusual problem so I made the post.  The engine is all standard WD45.  The tractor  has been used regularly through the years.  Since the problem only occurs in cylinders 1 and 2, it has to be that debris is moving through the intake manifold as one intake port feeds cylinders 1 and 2 and the other intake feeds 3 and 4.  I don't think it could be a valve or piston problem as it happened in both cylinders at the same time.  Their old manifold is starting to crack and I will bet some material flaked off and migrated to the two cylinders through the front intake port.  After we ran the motor without the plugs in 1 and 2 it has been running fine since.  Am I thinking straight on the debris explanation? They will pull off the head if it acts up again and I will report back on the Forum.  I enjoy puzzles like this one.  Thanks again. 
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 8:13am
Originally posted by Farrell(Utah) Farrell(Utah) wrote:

Their old manifold is starting to crack and I will bet some material flaked off and migrated to the two cylinders through the front intake port.  After we ran the motor without the plugs in 1 and 2 it has been running fine since.  Am I thinking straight on the debris explanation? They will pull off the head if it acts up again and I will report back on the Forum.  I enjoy puzzles like this one.  Thanks again. 

Sounds like time to replace the manifold before it causes more serious problems.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Rod B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 8:21am
You have debris in the cylinder.  Or somewhere allong the way there has been some parts swapping and machining going on. 

This story wasn't adding up and I looked at some old parts.

A standard piston has a compression height of about 2.6", your connecting rod is 7.5" and half your crankshaft stroke is 2.25".  That all adds up to 12.35" and your block deck height is 12.625" so you have a fair bit of room between the top of the piston and the head.

Also the sparkplug is positioned in the crater of the piston, not close enough to the edge of the piston for the piston top to hit it. 

Those pictures of pankey's have little to no merrit.  They are of a Leroi head, which has a diferent spark plug pocket all togather, and have a shorter reach plug used.  In a WD-45 head the plug will protrude from the deck of the head verry slightly. The longer the reach of plug the closer it gets to the center of the cylinder which makes it further away from the edge of the power crater piston.

Seth Souerdike View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seth Souerdike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 9:50am
Originally posted by Matt MN Matt MN wrote:

It would have to be a foreign object floating around in there if you have the correct plugs in it. You said you ran it with out those 2 plugs and something came out with the compression? how did it run after that? either the manifold is flaking rust internally or there is a valve seat that is letting loose, or just a huge chunk of carbon.
nice pic LOL
There are no atheist in foxholes.

mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 10:25am
First picture is a a d17 head . the last two are of a allis wd head . No leroi head was pictured my leroi head is on my tractair .Sorry Rod B but your showing your ignorance in head identification . I can tell you a 3/4 doesnt protrude out of a d17 head either and it can run a projected tip 3/4 reach in Ngk and champion .  If i rememeber right the autolites and a/c plugs are longer with the champion being the shortest of all four brands but its been a while since I did the test with even Kent dakin helping in doing the same on a 45 head he was using. Kent felt that the 3/4 reach with the 3 threads exposed was causing a hot spot .

Edited by mlpankey - 04 Apr 2012 at 10:35am
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 10:44am
I will go a step farther and say I deally you want the plug angle toward the exhaust valve which allis doesnt do . Performance wise also you would index electrode gap to be facing the exhaust valve .
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 11:08am
Comment removed,
 No reasonn for me to post what anyone with sense is thinking Cool 

Edited by Butch(OH) - 04 Apr 2012 at 11:11am
sks72107 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sks72107 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 11:22am
Here we go again, perhaps wii50 will chime in and help things out.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 11:49am
yeap i am thinking. either plug will work as long as the electrode doesnt get mashed when tightening it up . The shorter the plug is in the hole the more ignition lead the engine will want over the longer plug.

Edited by mlpankey - 04 Apr 2012 at 11:49am
Rod B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by mlpankey mlpankey wrote:

The ngk non-projected plugs with gasket t 3/4 don't hit the back side of the plug window but does expose about, 3 treads to combustion.

The WD-45 uses a short reach plug.  End of story.  Look at a WD-45 head, the plug can never hit the head as the plug pocket is machined straight through.  It can hit in other heads, but in any of them a 3/4 reach plug can NEVER hit the head, unless there is debris.

Leaving 3 or 4 threads exposed would be a recipe for disaster.  Bent rods from detonation, burned or broken pistons.

Lets see some more pictures if anyone thinks I'm ignorant.

mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 12:56pm
the threaded body of the plug will never get hotter than the ground strap. The wd45 the wc and wd head allis recomends the 3/8 plug but you can put 3/4 in and if you use the longer projected tip 3/4 plug with a widen gap then the ground strap will mash on the back of the spark plug pocket anyone in can see that in the picture with exception of Rod B and Ray Charles. The hottest color indication from heated metal will be on the ground strap and can be read for ignition advance. Valve lift would make a valve hit the piston before a spark plug ever will .

Edited by mlpankey - 04 Apr 2012 at 1:01pm
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 1:27pm
Hey I like the Ray Charles reference! I thought I was the only one that used it!
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
Rod B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 1:41pm
Ah typical backpedeling stages of pankey.

A picture of a 3/4" reach plug in a D-17 head.
Notice how the electrode can not touch the pocket.  Must be one helluva gap if pankey is refering to.

A WD-45 head with the through style sparkplug pocket, a 3/4 reach plug screwed in tight.  Again no way it is going to hit anything.

Again the same WD-45 head with a tap screwed in from the combustion chamber to show how the plug can not hit the head.  There is multi layers of cardboard pushed between the plug pocket and tap.  A 3/4 reach plug can never hit the pocket in any of these heads, even with the washer removed.

Ray Charles can even smell something fishy.

Edited by Rod B - 04 Apr 2012 at 2:01pm
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 2:19pm
3/4 reach plug still aint sticking out past pocket . Piston would hit head before hitting electrode even in your picture.  You have a projected tip in the d17 and a non projected tip 3/4 in the other head. no back peddling  you with another picture wich makes a visual case of all three designs proved what I was saying. even used a gasket to show where the fire ring or sleeve edge is. Three Allis heads three different plug pockets which one does the guy have who knows .Rod B do you know? So the general statement plug would hit back of the plug hole on one of the three before hitting the piston on any of the three is correct . ps I have a 37 wc head that even has a different plug window also so really four AC designs. Would you like a picture of it . Also the back wall is steeper on the d17 and not as angled as much in your picture as the 45 so if a projected tip from the longer brand with a 35 to 40 thou gap is attempted and the electrode turns toward back steeper wall guess what.

Edited by mlpankey - 04 Apr 2012 at 2:40pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic