This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ca 12v battery?( Cca?)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ca 12v battery?( Cca?)
    Posted: 08 May 2020 at 2:19pm
My model CA is converted to 12 volts and needs a new battery so what size battery is the best for this size motor and also that will fit in the battery compartment on a CA?
Sponsored Links

PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 2:22pm
I use a group 522 or sometimes call a group 22F (for Ford) it's about the same size as a 6 volt group 1. Don't let the battery place give you a standard group 22, it's too tall and skinnier. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
Real pullers don't have speed limits.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 2:24pm
You will have to measure the size of your battery box and get a battery that will fit. I am asuming that it has been changed to negative ground.
Hunt4Allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 3:22pm
I left and did not measure the height of my battery box I only measured the length and width
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 3:23pm
It's 9 and 1/2 by 7 in
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 3:50pm
I use and sell the Deka 526MF Battery for the B,C,CA boxes. They fit in the box nice. Not to high so you can get the cables on. 665 CCA's @ 32 degrees. 540 CCA's @ O degrees.
HTH.
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 4:41pm
Thanks the height of my battery that's in the tractor box now is about 6 in tall...
I was at my tractor supply company store and did not see anything close to what I have so I'll just have to wait until another day to get something that's a better fit.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 5:01pm
I think mine is a #26... The length is about 8 inches... 7 inches wide and 7.5 inches tall... I like the length to be  1.5 inches smaller than the battery box.. Makes it easier to get the + cable on without contacting the box walls. I have a small chunk of 2 x 4 that sets on one end to keep the battery + side away from the box. .......... the 9 inch batteries are TOO CLOSE.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 5:04pm
A lot depends on what you use your tractor for, but I have a "parade queen" that is only used for parades and shows in the summer. It's never started in the winter. 
A friend of mine had a used lawn tractor battery that he gave me, that works ok for me. 
I would hate to try to start it when it's 20 below, but it doesn't take much to start it in the summer.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 5:23pm
Yes my battery that is about 9 in is way too tight in the box...
that's why I'm asking the requirements for it so that I can get a smaller battery that has good enough requirements...
last year as long as I kept a battery tender on it it would start up right away but lately it's been getting worse and worse and now only starts when jumped.
Thanks Matt 👍
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 3:08pm
BCI
Group
Size           Length     Width        Height
26             8 3/16     6 13/16     7 3/4
26R           8 3/16     6 13/16     7 3/4

The 26 is what I use also.  For ALL of the WD/WD45, B,C, CA tractors.
The 26R just has the - and + is switched to the other side, making it easier on some to hook up.  If I remember correctly, the 26R has the + closest to the right side of the box, close to the starter.  HTHs
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 6:33pm
The 526mf has a huge price variable (which doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me but some places have it for around $70 and others have it for nearly double that)
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 8:18pm
I have an IB and no good place for a battery box. I tried to hid a small one in front of the right foot, inside the frame rails... All i could get to fit was a 230 CCA lawn mower battery as  WF said... did that for 10 years.. Finally decided i want more a battery with a little more ass to it for winter start ( I plow snow).. so i bought a bigger  batter that is about 450- 500 amps or so  ( Smaller than the #26 )..... so it does not take a lot of CCA to start this motor.............. #26 is ideal for the battery box.
Trapdoor1873 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trapdoor1873 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3 hours 24 minutes ago at 9:02pm
I bought a 22F from Interstate. Fit perfect and room for box cover.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2 hours 35 minutes ago at 9:51pm
22F is extra LONG and extra TALL...... the #26 is a much better FIT.... a little clearance on all sides is a benefit.
Trapdoor1873 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trapdoor1873 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2 hours 20 minutes ago at 10:06pm
I had plenty of clearance for connecting cables and room for the top cover. Not saying you are wrong. Just saying the 22F worked good for me.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic