This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stuck Rings or Wear?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clayfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stuck Rings or Wear?
    Posted: 02 Oct 2024 at 9:16pm
'57 D14. Pretty sure the crankcase is filled with 10w-30 and it had a new filter on it when I picked it up recently. Been going through a few things. Adjusted valves this evening after it dropped fire on cylinder #4 for no apparent reason. Also needed the new plugs that were put in before purchase gapped correctly. 

I've got no smoke when cold/warming up, but after running for awhile and warming up, I get smoke at a mid/high idle that mostly clears out when at full throttle (maybe just due to the cooling fan?). Curious thing is that it's from the exhaust/leaky exhaust gasket only. Pulling the dipstick and breather shows no visual blowby from the crankcase and what I would consider minimal airflow/non-visual blowby, WAY less than a typical IH IDI LOL

Stuck rings? Common wear heading towards a rebuild? I'm planning on running a can of seafoam through it after seeing the crustiness on the rocker arms, then wire brush the flaky rust on the rockers/springs and wash it down and flush it all out with a little MMO before refilling with 15w-40. 
Sponsored Links

AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2024 at 10:07pm
I think your on the right track, Seafoam would be the first thing I would do. It’s my mechanic in a bottle and I just put some in my new to me D14 today. Tractor has been sitting for a while and even though it runs good, no smoke, I always clean them out good when I pick up something new. Ironically, I run Shell Rotella 15W-40 in all my tractors and just picked some up today when I changed the oil and added Seafoam. Good luck, hope that takes care of your issue. Make sure you run it for awhile to allow it to do its magic. It sure has resolved issues in the past for me, be prepared for the oil to be jet black. A result of cleaning all the carbon up.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
Clayfoot View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clayfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2024 at 11:08pm
I'm no stranger to the effects of seafoam, lol. I tend to run Delvac instead of Rotella. The Rotella seems to burn a bit faster.

I just went out and started it again from cold, no choke, no throttle. Started right up, but of course, oil smelling smoke. Now I'm thinking valve seals...

Edited by Clayfoot - 02 Oct 2024 at 11:11pm
jvin248 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jvin248 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2024 at 11:10pm

Don't be too hasty to tear the engine down.

My 58 MF35 had smoky exhaust and I was running through similar scenarios as you. Like stuck rings, wear, etc. This tractor has a busy life and shows hard work. So a worn engine is possible.

Ended up being a dirty narrow carb idle circuit.

I ran the carb parts several times through the small Harbor Freight Ultrasonic cleaner I have (dawn dish soap and orange cleaner).

Reset idle and high speed screws, it's running better than ever ... And no smoke.

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 hours 14 minutes ago at 4:10am
MMO is ATF.  Run ATF through, and save a couple bucks....Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Clayfoot View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clayfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 hours 52 minutes ago at 6:32am
MMO already has some kero in, which things it out Honestly costs about the same as ATF anymore. Might just wash the junk down to the pan with some of that cheapo Providence oil RK has.
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 hours 59 minutes ago at 7:25am
compression test will tell a lot.
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 hours 21 minutes ago at 8:03am
just run it and monitor oil usage.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Clayfoot View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clayfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 hours 10 minutes ago at 9:14am
I am working on getting a compression tester soon to test cylinder pressures. As for oil usage, doesn't really seem to be much, but more smoke from exhaust than I care for.
DanielW View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanielW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 hours 44 minutes ago at 9:40am
+1 one the seafoam, but don't run it in only the crankcase or fuel and expect it to do much. The best results I have are from using their 'Deep Creep' penetrating oil (or similar) directly in the cylinders. Pull the plugs, spray a decent amount in each plug hole, crank the engine over for a second or two with the plugs out just to splash it all around and coat the valve seats (some will get shot out the plug holes), then spray a heck of a lot more into each plug hole and let it sit for a few days to soak into and break up all the carbon/gum deposits. Repeat after three or four days, then fire up and run hard. It's amazing how much carbon that can clean up and how much smoother the valve action can be made. It'll be smoking and coughing for a while after you do this treatment, but once it pukes all the gunk out it can make an incredible difference on how it runs and how much blowby/compression you have. Even better than the 'Deep Creep' is the Delco penetrating fluid that GM dealers sell - that stuff cuts through everything. I also like to pull the valve cover off and coat all the rocker action and stems in penetrating oil and let it sit for a few days, because often valve sticking and low compression is from crapulence built up or caked on the stems/guides.

I agree with avoiding a rebuild. If you ever do a full resto, you probably want to rebuild. But for an old D14 for the odd chores and to have fun with, there's no reason and no justification for a rebuild. Not going to make any notable difference for bush-hogging or pulling wagons/rakes. Clean up via the above method, run it for a few months, then you can judge how much more work you may want to put into it.

Edited by DanielW - 15 hours 41 minutes ago at 9:43am
Clayfoot View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clayfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 hours 19 minutes ago at 11:05am
I didn't even think of soaking the pistons. I have about half a 5 gallon bucket of ATF/acetone mix I use for penetrating lube that I can get in there. Hoping to pull a 2 bottom Dearborn 3 point plow with it later this month, but I'm only doing 6000 sq. ft. Still keeping a lookout for a series 70 or 80 snap coupler plow nearby and cheap enough that the wife won't get nervous, lol!
DanielW View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanielW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 hours 2 minutes ago at 11:22am
Yeah, soaking the pistons and valve seats helps break up carbon in the combustion chamber, clean up the valve seats, and allows it to percolate into all the ring grooves and free up the rings (and break up any carbon in the ring grooves). Soaking the valve stems from the top is perhaps even more important, as sticky valves due to gunk on the stems is such a common problem.

If you end up using your bucket of ATF/acetone, just make sure you let it sit for quite a while after putting some in, and then make sure to crank it over with the plugs out first. You wouldn't want to compress some of that fluid and break something. As it drains down past your rings it'll also dilute the oil in the crankcase a little. Not a big deal, and I recommend running it with the diluted oil for a little while anyway, just to help clean things out (no different than putting seafoam in the crankcase). But you'll need to change the oil after a little run time, and you don't want to put so much in that it dilutes it to an excessive degree. I usually count on two or three cans of penetrating oil per engine.

Edited by DanielW - 13 hours 52 minutes ago at 11:32am
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 hours 48 minutes ago at 1:36pm
Seafoam is 1oz/quart of oil, so I put 4oz in with the new oil and filter.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
Clayfoot View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clayfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7 hours 36 minutes ago at 5:48pm
New symptom. I added seafoam to both the fuel and oil, as well as dumping out the sediment bowl and refilling it with seafoam. After running for awhile and driving around at PTO speed (no real load, but with the PTO shaft and belt pulley running), it developed a bit of a miss, which is where I'm assuming the miss from cylinder #4 came from before. It didn't seem to smoke as much as it did yesterday, but if at full throttle or PTO speed, there's no smoke. It's pretty much just at idle/high idle and when increasing engine speed or loading the engine, like when taking off from a stop. 

Planning to hose and scrub the valvetrain with the ATF/acetone mix this weekend since tomorrow will be occupied with picking up a post hole auger and Dearborn 21-2 running gear I won in an auction. 

Edited by Clayfoot - 5 hours 2 minutes ago at 8:22pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic