This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

N62 Main Bearing Cap Fit

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jange01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: N62 Main Bearing Cap Fit
    Posted: 17 Sep 2024 at 1:11pm
The main bearing caps on this little N62 don't seem to have any interference fit with the cylinder block. The caps are able to shift sideways on the 1/2 inch studs, because of the clearance holes in the caps.

The engine is at the machine shop and requires a line bore. The machinist doesn't feel comfortable because there seems to be no way to get the cap on off and back on in a repeatable manor.

Shouldn't there be an interference fit between the cap and the block? All other engines I've rebuilt have this. How would I install the cap and be sure it's centered? And be able to repeatably install the caps?

Jim

Sponsored Links

PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2024 at 1:21pm
As with the BE/CE engines, modern machine shops are not familiar with all of the idiosyncrasies of older design engines. There's nothing wrong with your block. When assembling your engine crankshaft with the correct bearings, snug things down, feel for any binding on the crank, tap the main caps back and froth until binding disappears, sung it a bit more, recheck for binding. Continue snugging and checking until proper main bearing torque is reached. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
Real pullers don't have speed limits.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2024 at 1:56pm
tell him to make a 2 inch long shaft that is .002 inch smaller than the bore.... set the shaft into the hole and snug down the bolts.. remove the shaft and bore the hole... do the final assembly with bearings as Paul said.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
jange01 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jange01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2024 at 2:45pm
Ok. Thanks

The reason I see to need a line bore is because of clearances. Not sure what some one else may have done in years earlier. I was hired for a rebuild of the N62. I disassembled and sent the engine out for machining. The engine sat at the machine shop for months before finally being done. I brought it back to my shop for assembly, as usual. The crank was turned to .020 under, and measures correctly. The rods are .030 under, and pistons are .020 over.

During assembly I determined with plasti-gauge that I had .005 -- & .006 main clearances. Rods clearances are fine. I sent the engine back to the machine shop to help figure out what was going on. The engine sat there for over 6 months with out being looked at. I finally pulled it and found another local, recommended shop.

The new shop trying to measure the bore in the block, is having trouble depending where the cap tightens down. He figured probably end up shaving the caps and re- line boring. That's where we are now.

I'll talk with him again

On a side note, to bad about my previous shop. There were two partners, and I most;y dealt with the main man who for all intent and purposes ran the shop. Nice, smart, good ole boy, old timer. We did over 35 engines together. He retired and sold out to his partner, who while a good automotive machinist, apparently cannot schedule and may have now lost one of, if not his best, customer.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic