This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Friday the 13th bit us pretty big

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Friday the 13th bit us pretty big
    Posted: 13 Sep 2024 at 6:40pm
For those that don't already know, we're a commercial poultry (chicken) farm. Our houses are only 4 years old and we have computers that handle ventilation and cooling. Well, as with computers, one of ours had some kind of problem this morning. We also have back up thermostats that handle those things when there are problems with the computers. We have spent the last 3 days selling birds and there was a little over half a house left. Usually when birds are being caught we turn the back ups off just so, if it gets cold enough, the back up won't turn the heat on. Well...the catch schedule changed and some dumba$$ (me) forgot to turn the back ups on. For some unknown reason about 2am the ventilation fans shut off. About 9am we found a little over 21,000 dead chickens. Wound up composting them in our litter shed. The company we grow for was VERY understanding. I asked the broiler manager about our contract and he said it's safe. He said we'll be hit hard enough with the income loss and there's no reason to compound it. We also have some of the greatest neighbors and family that we could ask for. I'm expecting the loss to be in the $6500 to $7500 range. Just sucks
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
Sponsored Links

JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2024 at 6:59pm
That sucks, tough to take and tougher to make up.  Only livestock I own is a dog, I expect a loss from it, but not in that range.
Maximum use of available resources!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2024 at 4:38am
Man that sucks.

Hope this does not become a repeat!
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2024 at 6:28am
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

Man that sucks.

Hope this does not become a repeat!

It won't be a repeat because of that back ups being off. I've learned my lesson with that one
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2024 at 6:48am
Really sorry about your loss. I know i have learned too often with the end result being a phone call to the renderer. Good that you had neighbors to help with that cleanup
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2024 at 7:54am
Dang that’s painful.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2024 at 8:13am
 DANG,,Tyler,,that is a painful one for sure!!Praying for the quick recovery,,,,!!
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2024 at 9:52am
The real kicker is this was the best flock of birds we've had in about a year. There was a while that chick quality wasn't very good which results in high mortality and birds that just don't grow very well. As my dad would've said, it's just a pisser
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2024 at 10:42am
Sorry to hear of that,, Uncle lost a farrowing house once with 20 sows and probably 200 piglets to a fire; had to get them out quick as we could - some were half baked
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2024 at 3:00pm
Sorry about the loss but at least it wasn’t worse. Still an expensive lesson to learn. Sounds like you are growing for a good company and have a good broiler manager. 
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic