Forum Description: anything you want to talk about except politics
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=203188
Printed Date: 19 Sep 2024 at 6:31am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Friday the 13th bit us pretty big
Posted By: thendrix
Subject: Friday the 13th bit us pretty big
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2024 at 6:40pm
For those that don't already know, we're a commercial poultry (chicken) farm. Our houses are only 4 years old and we have computers that handle ventilation and cooling. Well, as with computers, one of ours had some kind of problem this morning. We also have back up thermostats that handle those things when there are problems with the computers. We have spent the last 3 days selling birds and there was a little over half a house left. Usually when birds are being caught we turn the back ups off just so, if it gets cold enough, the back up won't turn the heat on. Well...the catch schedule changed and some dumba$$ (me) forgot to turn the back ups on. For some unknown reason about 2am the ventilation fans shut off. About 9am we found a little over 21,000 dead chickens. Wound up composting them in our litter shed. The company we grow for was VERY understanding. I asked the broiler manager about our contract and he said it's safe. He said we'll be hit hard enough with the income loss and there's no reason to compound it. We also have some of the greatest neighbors and family that we could ask for. I'm expecting the loss to be in the $6500 to $7500 range. Just sucks

-------------
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan

Replies:
Posted By: JW in MO
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2024 at 6:59pm
That sucks, tough to take and tougher to make up.  Only livestock I own is a dog, I expect a loss from it, but not in that range.

-------------
Maximum use of available resources!

Posted By: DMiller
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2024 at 4:38am
Man that sucks.

Hope this does not become a repeat!

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2024 at 6:28am
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

Man that sucks.

Hope this does not become a repeat!

It won't be a repeat because of that back ups being off. I've learned my lesson with that one

-------------
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan

Posted By: dr p
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2024 at 6:48am
Really sorry about your loss. I know i have learned too often with the end result being a phone call to the renderer. Good that you had neighbors to help with that cleanup

Posted By: Tbone95
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2024 at 7:54am
Dang that’s painful.

Posted By: desertjoe
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2024 at 8:13am
 DANG,,Tyler,,that is a painful one for sure!!Praying for the quick recovery,,,,!!

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2024 at 9:52am
The real kicker is this was the best flock of birds we've had in about a year. There was a while that chick quality wasn't very good which results in high mortality and birds that just don't grow very well. As my dad would've said, it's just a pisser

-------------

Posted By: DougG
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2024 at 10:42am
Sorry to hear of that,, Uncle lost a farrowing house once with 20 sows and probably 200 piglets to a fire; had to get them out quick as we could - some were half baked

Posted By: Hubert (Ga)engine7
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2024 at 3:00pm
Sorry about the loss but at least it wasn’t worse. Still an expensive lesson to learn. Sounds like you are growing for a good company and have a good broiler manager. 

-------------
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net