This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Combine won't start

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Combine won't start
    Posted: 27 May 2024 at 2:15pm
I have an early F combine diesel engine in my CII. I cannot get it to even let out a bit of smoke when cranking it, the primer is pumped tight and I also have an inline electric fuel pump that I can turn on to help with priming. It has fuel to the head of the pump and no air. I have hot wired the solenoid thinking it might be a wiring issue, nothing. Can the solenoid in the pump become stuck in the off position? Pump was gone through around 12 years ago and I have had zero issues with it up until now.
Thanks for any help
In the shed- 7020,7060, L2 X (2), CII, WD X (2), 200, 210, 611H, 440, Fiat Allis 345B
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2024 at 2:20pm
ON/OFF solenoid must "click" when you turn on the key. Spring shuts it off. Electricity turns it on.
badjeep View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2024 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

ON/OFF solenoid must "click" when you turn on the key. Spring shuts it off. Electricity turns it on.

I do not hear a "click", what is my next move?
Thanks
In the shed- 7020,7060, L2 X (2), CII, WD X (2), 200, 210, 611H, 440, Fiat Allis 345B
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2024 at 4:16pm
Verify that you have 12 volts to the shut-off terminal.
badjeep View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2024 at 9:07am
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

Verify that you have 12 volts to the shut-off terminal.

Verified
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2024 at 10:26am
odds are the metering valve or plungers are stuck from sitting. Roosa pumps are having this problem at an overwhelming rate! They come in here from every direction for this issue.
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
badjeep View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2024 at 1:21pm
I pulled the top of the pump off and pushed the  "needle or valve?" with my finger and it had just a bit of resistance and then opened and worked back and forth fine. Solenoid checked out good and put it back together and all is well.
I used to go out to the shed and start everything and let them run for a bit in the middle of winter when we had an occasional warmer spell. Maybe I need to get back into the habit of doing that?

injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2024 at 3:50pm
you can run it without the top cover, you'll just have to reach in and move the mv to shut it off. Hopefully it works for you. 
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
badjeep View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2024 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by injpumpEd injpumpEd wrote:

you can run it without the top cover, you'll just have to reach in and move the mv to shut it off. Hopefully it works for you. 

Got it put back together and everything is good now, starts right up and shuts off fine.

TerraTiger View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerraTiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2024 at 8:53pm
Is the D21 solenoid the same? Think I have this same issue Chris describes and wondering if I can remove the screws to that top cap with the wire and verify if the solenoid is moving the plunger or if it is stuck from sitting.
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2024 at 10:41am
Yes
GM Guy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2024 at 12:48am
As you found the metering valve will stick with a light varnish layer, seems worse with modern diesel fuels.

I have to do this often on resurrection projects.
Gleaner: the properly engineered and built combine.

If you need parts for your Gleaner, we are parting out A's through L2's, so we may be able to help.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic