This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BE CAREFUL I was lucky

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpscny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BE CAREFUL I was lucky
    Posted: 27 Dec 2010 at 9:52pm
The WD rolled over when I was STUPID and drove sideways on a hill while mowing.
As the tractor was going over I jumped and landed out of harms way.
I believe GOD saved my life.

I am showing these pictures so others will learn from my mistake.

Sponsored Links

Roddo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roddo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2010 at 9:56pm
I'm glad your ok.  You can bang the dents out and be no worse for the wear but there is only one you. 

Dad always told me to set the wheels out as far as can be when on a side hill.  Food for thought.
JoeM(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeM(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2010 at 10:02pm
glad you're OK!!
Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB
Steve M C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2010 at 10:29pm
The Lord has had to "step in" more than once for me.Never did THAT but plenty of other things. 
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2010 at 10:36pm
I'd be glad to send you some spare used underware, mine are 34" waist and likely cleaner than yours.

All kidding aside, glad you're alright, rember it's a good thing that it happened as you'll do what you can to prevent "accidents" from now on.
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
Larry in OK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry in OK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2010 at 11:19pm
Would have been a good chance to repack those front wheel bearings.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for much of anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
David Maddux View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Maddux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2010 at 11:52pm
I think I will keep these pictures and show them to my Grandsons. This can be a good learning tool. Thank God you were not hurt. Like they say, he moves in mysterious ways.There must be a reason yet for you being around.  Dave.  P.S., but I won't show my wife.
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 12:07am
A little fear is a good thing! I'm too chicken to get one close to rolling. Glad you are OK, getting off of one of those in a hurry can be a challenge. BTW, is that a JD block you are using for a front weight?
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Dans 7080 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dans 7080 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 1:38am
I laid dads 45 on its side when I was a freshman in highschool. I walked away from it, but it gave me a new respect for machines.  Luckly we had a D19 to upright it. The tractor hasnt been the same since. I did reach down and shut it down before it went over so no motor damage (its still running to this day). It all happend so fast but seemed like it was in slow motion. Believe it or not Im a heavy equipment operator now. I had a run in with the yellow iron too (not my fault at all), but didnt walk away from that one, spent the day in the hospital and havent been the same since. Machines are nothing to joke with they show no mercy and have no feelings. I have got into big time arguements about safety, and walked off jobs because of it. Im glad you were able to walk away with just a little "nerv" damage and some parts. JUST REMEMBER SAFETY HAS NO QUITING TIME!
WEL(IN&TN) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEL(IN&TN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 4:40am
My friend, you are very lucky. I  bush hog these Tennessee hills every year and have been very lucky this hasn't happened to me. One thing I always do is go up and down the hills, never sideways.
Jeff Z. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff  Z.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 4:51am
Glad you are OK.

That's one reason I like to mow with a wide front end tractor.

I would destroy those pictures.
DEC might want to come and fine you if any fluids leaked into the soil.
Remember we are trying to save the planet.LOL
Mr.P View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr.P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 6:35am
My Dad lost a cousin doing the same thing.The good lord was on your side God Bless
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 6:39am
That does give a new found respect for machinery. For a short time I drove a concrete mixer. More than once I had construction workers want me to drive along the side of an excavation. Got griped at more than once, but they never had to recover a mixer from a hole.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 7:53am
Yikes! Now that's a scary site! Glad to hear you're okay and walked away from that. As Jeff mentioned, a wide front Tractor would be better suited for those hills.
Steve@B&B
John WV View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John WV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 8:09am
I know of some people that was killed that way. I glad you was able to walk away from it. another bad thing is I know of some guys that was kill useing frontend loader to stack round bales of hay and had it to roll back on them . A fried at wor k had a bale roll back on him 10 years ago and now eats pain killers like candy.
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 8:37am
Hmmmmmmmmmm, where is the guy pulling on that block and tackle?
Chris (swIA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris (swIA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 8:46am
Scary!!!! I always run the rears wide on the hills. I don't know if a wide front would have stopped that. It would have let you get in trouble farther.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 10:23am
You are very lucky... but you should have had thewheels set out wide like the others said.
Herb(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herb(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 10:45am
Chris' opinins are good (my opinion). I believe the front end configuration is a bit more risky, especially if tractor is headed at a downhill angle.
Would be great if some Ag Engrg group made a series of tests on a couple series of tractors (Farmall M NFE, WFE, W6 and  some similar series of high production forty year newer tractors) using something similar to a wrecker truck with Jerr-Dann hydraulic controlled flatbed, BUT Much Heavier Duty Truck & Bed; and then published their test data.
However, when one is approaching a condition when they get to thinking of such minor details, it is best to Stop and find an alternate Safer Method (such as straight up/straight down; as WEL(IN& TN) mentioned.
Pa.Pete View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pa.Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 10:46am
Good to hear you are alright. From the pictures it doesn't look that steep.
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 10:54am
When I was 9 or 10 my dad got a call from a nieghbor that a young boy my age drove a tractor off a bridge(on private property-no guard rails).Boy and his friends were not supposed to be driving tractor when parents were not home.Tractor flipped on top of him and killed him,his friends got thrown off and did not get hurt.My dad was upset and made my brother and I get in the pickup to see what happened.By the time we got there the rescue squad had already removed him and some area farmers were turning the tractor back over and cleaning up for family of the boy.My brother and I were the only children there at the time.Well,my dad started in on both of us and several of the other farmers that new us really gave my brother and I a hard time.I thought they were being mean,but I knew they were just trying to keep that from happening to one of us.
Every time I start a tractor I try to think of that little boy and all the things he did not get to do.We all need to try and slow down and think things through before we get into these situations.I am guilty as anyone and find myself rushing to get things done.
Glad to hear you are OK and did not get hurt.Like others have said;Tractors and parts can be replaced,lives cannot.
Message to everyone no matter how old or young,Take a farm safety class if available.Even if you don't learn anything at least you will be thinking about it.I do not want to lose any members of this site.Selfish reasons;Too much valuable info stored in all your brains that I need access to!!!
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
Rogers View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 11:23am
John, I am glad you are OK. A bad experience will give you a healthy respect for machines. I remember mowing with an 8N Ford when I was younger. The live PTO like to have got me. I ran over something the tractor couldn't go over. I couldn't pull it out of gear and the blade was turning pushing the tractor on ahead with the front wheels coming off the ground. I shut it down, but it still kept going. It was just a little ways, but it felt like a mile. I thought it was going to turn over. I never mowed anywhere I didn't know what was there before after that.
Think for yourself and be your own expert. Be willing to change your mind; however, willingness to change your mind doesn’t mean that you will. Blindly following any path is the pinnacle of insanity.
mooboy View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mooboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 12:02pm
JPSCNY,

I am glad you are okay.  Here in the part of Tennessee we live in it is hilly also.  We hire most of our bush hogging done to avoid what you experienced.  Tractor roll-overs happen and I can think of four that have happened right near here (most resulted in fatalities).   But I am out on the tractor a bunch feeding hay and am always trying to learn what not to do.  May I ask a few questions?

1.  Did the front end feel light just before the roll over?
2. Looks like the tractor was on a sidling when it rolled, but were you turning uphill when it flipped?
3. Did either rear tire get caught on anything (or in a pothole)?

Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 1:03pm
Pot holes will get you if the down hill tire fits in one.

The 8N needed an overrunning clutch on the PTO because the PTO comes off the transmission after the main clutch and the intertia of the mower will drive it. Many vintage tractors need that overrunning clutch for safety.

Gerald J.
acwdwcman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acwdwcman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 1:06pm
i am glad ur ok but i have a ??
is that a john deere head on the front of that tractor as a weight??
wd with a freeman model 90 trip loader, wd45, 38 unstylled wc, b 10 garden tractor and 2-14 ac trip plow. grandpa has a 56 wd45. wd. allis chalmers snap coupler blade and 3 bottom snap coupler plow
acwdwcman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acwdwcman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 1:07pm
i mean block
wd with a freeman model 90 trip loader, wd45, 38 unstylled wc, b 10 garden tractor and 2-14 ac trip plow. grandpa has a 56 wd45. wd. allis chalmers snap coupler blade and 3 bottom snap coupler plow
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 6:59pm
Another thing to think about is putting jack stands under what you're working on, not just a jack.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
jpscny View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpscny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 7:40pm
thanks  for your concern

yes that is a JD block chained to the front
I got it on a pallet of junk at an auction several years ago.

I agree I need to spread the rear wheels.

The left rear wheel went in a hole that was hidden by a bush.
I jumped toward the down hill side as it rolled.

I was the only  one home and had it upright within 1 hour or so
with the block and tackle and a handy-man (farm) jack.

of 3 point hitch parts at an auction several years ago.

RSponenberg View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSponenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 7:53pm
Glad your ok narrow fronts and sidehills don't mix 
Stan R View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 8:01pm
Glad you posted this to share with others. Safety is priority number 1.

Regarding the weight up front, putting it up high raises the center of gravity and makes the tractor easier to tip over. Loaded tires lowers the center of gravity.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic