This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Planting Tractors

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Planting Tractors
    Posted: 21 Jun 2024 at 7:11am
Wondering if anyone has experience planting (12 row 30 inch) with an articulated tractor?

I don’t have a lot of seat time in an articulated tractor, maybe 50-70 hours. It seems planting with one would be….weird.

It wouldn’t be the primary choice, but as I continue the hunt and thinking about a second bigger tractor as backup, just curious about experience with a planter. Can find some seemingly good deals on articulated compared to MFWD.
Sponsored Links

Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2024 at 7:25am
I've Planted a lot with one and no issues and it's not weird. The first time you drive one it takes a bit to get the hang of steering, but once you're used to it, it's no different planting or doing field work with one.
Lon(MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lon(MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2024 at 7:51am
One year Larry Karg planted a tractor and during the Orange Spectacular show He dug it up. It was harvest time.  It was still green but never sprouted.
http://lonsallischalmers.com
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2024 at 8:10am
Originally posted by Lon(MN) Lon(MN) wrote:

One year Larry Karg planted a tractor and during the Orange Spectacular show He dug it up. It was harvest time.  It was still green but never sprouted.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2024 at 8:17am
Yeah I remember the first time I drove one, pulling field cultivator and rolling harrow. Came to my first turn which was as you were going over a hill and coming into a rather sharp angle field edge. Made that first sharp turn felt like I was going to fly out the side window, a very odd sensation.
But yeah, got used to it.

A couple of my specific concerns was, probably won’t have auto steer, so visibility of and staying on the mark. Then the turning.

Thanks.
8070nc View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8070nc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2024 at 9:19am
There will be more little squiggles in the rows because of the distance from the center pivot to the drawbar but it would be a lot better than not planting at all
1984 80780
1957 D14
DES 300 with 25000 engine
616 tractor
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2024 at 9:47am
Originally posted by 8070nc 8070nc wrote:

There will be more little squiggles in the rows because of the distance from the center pivot to the drawbar but it would be a lot better than not planting at all
I can visualize that happening for sure.
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2024 at 10:59am
In my area, a lot of guys pull planters with small articulated tractors and really like it. No lightbulb turns, plenty of traction/flotation. That said, they do not work well with a 3pt mounted planter, due to the twisting motion of the tractor being greatly magnified by the width of the tool bar. My former boss pulls a 24 row 40" planter with a Versatile 340 and said he'd never plant with a fixed frame again. 
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2024 at 11:07am
Back in the 80's some of the big cotton farmers out here had a lot Case 4x4's because of ability to have front only steering, as well as the crab steering and full 4 wheel steering. All hooked to the biggest planters of the day. 

Until this time it was very rear to see any but green or red on those bigger farms. With the great amount tractors, they used they might give lesser brand a chance. But if it did not do something better than the rest they did not stay long. Also they were very much into steel tracks for all tillage. Of which they did a lot.

Edited by Ray54 - 21 Jun 2024 at 11:13am
jiminnd View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jiminnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2024 at 3:02pm
More and more here, but also a lot of 24 row planters.  I think it does make a difference on some models as the pivot point maybe different distance from the end of the drawbar..
1945 C, 1949 WF and WD, 1981 185, 1982 8030, unknown D14(nonrunner)
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2024 at 3:47pm
My current planter is two point drawn. Would like to stick with it.
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2024 at 8:38pm
Case IH had a row crop version for the small frame articulates. Front turned before it bent in the middle. 9130, 9230,9330
bigal121892 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigal121892 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2024 at 7:04am
Originally posted by DanWi DanWi wrote:

Case IH had a row crop version for the small frame articulates. Front turned before it bent in the middle. 9130, 9230,9330

Most of those have been locked solid, as it was an idea that didn't work.
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2024 at 7:39am
It's on my project list, but I want to get my 7580 all rigged up to pull my 12 row 385 deutz planter
Darrel
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2024 at 12:33pm
Neighbor plants with an articulated CIH no wiggly rows. I’d like something other than the 8050 to plant with thought of using my 8760 to plant with and get another 89x0 to take the 8760’s spot in the tillage line up. In the end cheaper than a 200 hp mfwd. We do 97% of the tillage with articulated tractors and it would be hard to go back to mfwd.   
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2024 at 2:54am
we’ve used nothing but an articulating tractor on the grain drill for years . More flotation and it doesn’t spin down when you hit the soft spots in the field. 
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2024 at 11:22am
Largest corn planter I ever used was JD 7000 6 row narrow w/liquid fertilizer White 2-105 was the tractor. Planted for a neighbor’s brother in law who was dying from cancer at the time.
Places I worked at as the hired hand, both used JD 7000 4 row wide w/dry fertilizer, 1 place used a Farmall 656 Gas, 1 place used a JI Case 830D Comfort King. Always worked with livestock, the wide row seemed to work better for harvesting cattle feed, and harvesting the stalks for bedding, straddling the rows with the manure spreader, and cultivating. Also saved the effort of changing the axle settings on the tractors between corn operations, and haying operations. It seemed when the neighbors discontinued livestock, within a year or so, they transitioned to narrow row corn operation.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic