This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CA Valve Adjustment

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1955CA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CA Valve Adjustment
    Posted: 03 Jun 2024 at 2:24pm
So I mentioned this in my water pump thread. My CA suddenly developed a pop when running that you could hear through the intake. I suspected a valve issue, but hoped for the best as engine was supposedly rebuilt when I bought it and I rarely ever ran it due to the rear wheels being rotten (which I just replaced last summer.)

So I just pulled valve cover and was relieved to see the push rod for #4 cylinder was not under the rocker arm. I pulled it out, no marks looks good.
So I thought it just came out of adjustment. But then noticed all the nuts on the four (sorry, for lack of a better term) of the "bridges or stands" that holder the rocker shaft were all loose. The nuts on the same studs that hold the valve covers on.

Are they known to come loose? Or did the last owner just not tighten properly?

And now, how much do I tighten those nuts and should I use Locktite?

I haven't looked at my manuals I have for it yet, but hopefully it has the specs for setting the clearances. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links

1955CA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1955CA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2024 at 2:26pm
Everything looks nice and clean. I put lifter back in place and started it briefly and even without setting it up properly it runs almost perfect now!
1955CA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1955CA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2024 at 2:27pm
Sorry, still can't figure out how to post multiple pics.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2024 at 4:21pm
I set the valves at .014 COLD.... that makes the clearance about .012 when the engine heats up... I have never heard of the rocker arm nuts loosening up.. I would guess they were never tightened properly.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2024 at 12:16pm
They don't come loose. 3/8 fine thread? Probably around 30lb/ft.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2024 at 12:55pm
Shawn... one thing i have found interesting over the years... is that many rocker arms dont set dead center over the valve stem.. They seem to be off 1/8 inch or more.. been that way forever.... if you look at your second photo you can see a couple that are obvious.
dfwallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dfwallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2024 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

Shawn... one thing i have found interesting over the years... is that many rocker arms dont set dead center over the valve stem.. They seem to be off 1/8 inch or more.. been that way forever.... if you look at your second photo you can see a couple that are obvious.

I fixed all of mine, for good or bad.  All nice and centered now.  No more barely inside the outer edge deep indention wear patterns, I hope.
1952 CA13092
1955CA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1955CA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2024 at 5:49pm
How did you fix them to line up?
1955CA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1955CA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2024 at 5:55pm
Thanks for all the info everyone. I won't have time until next week to touch it again, but I ordered another timing light so I'll hopefully get her all tuned up.
dfwallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfwallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2024 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by 1955CA 1955CA wrote:

Nearly all that was required was minor machining of the standoffs on one side (there might have been an exception, I can't recall).  Must be sure to get them nice and flat/true.  I only removed just enough to center them but no more.
1952 CA13092
1955CA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1955CA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2024 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by dfwallis dfwallis wrote:

Nearly all that was required was minor machining of the standoffs on one side (there might have been an exception, I can't recall).  Must be sure to get them nice and flat/true.  I only removed just enough to center them but no more.

Oh okay, thanks. Did you have to shim them at all?
dfwallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfwallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2024 at 7:11pm

Originally posted by dfwallis dfwallis wrote:

Oh okay, thanks. Did you have to shim them at all?

I don't believe that I had to add or subtract any components that were already there (e.g. washers).  They pretty much self center via spring pressure.  But be sure to think it fully through before you make any modifications.  Only do one at a time and see what the overall impact is by reassembling where needed.  I only took off thousandths at a time, trued it up, polished it and reassembled to see the result before taking any more off.  But it is possible to add shims (washers/machine bushings). 
1952 CA13092
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2024 at 8:07pm
my point was it looks "ODD".... but has been that way for 70 years.. IT will probably run another 70... Wink
dfwallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfwallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2024 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

my point was it looks "ODD".... but has been that way for 70 years.. IT will probably run another 70... Wink

True, but some of mine were so far off there was only about 1/8 inch of contact area.
1952 CA13092
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic