This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

clutch relining

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freewheeling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: clutch relining
    Posted: 29 Feb 2024 at 7:47am
I understand that Rick Corder no longer does clutch and brake relining.  Is there anyone reputable who does this anymore?
Sponsored Links

Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2024 at 11:32am
Rick stil does brakes, but no more clutches

Check around for local Places. I"M in Northern Indiana and there are 2 local places South Bend Clutch and Fort Wayne Clutch that do clutches.

Are they as good as an OEE clutch? I don't know. Local New Holland Mechanic says everytime they use a reman'd South Bend clutch, they have to replace it in a year.

I did the clutch in my 180 2 years ago. I bought a new AGCO clutch and had South Bend clutch resurface and rebuild the pressure plate and they turned the flywheel. Everything seems ot be working ok so I'm happy with their work.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2024 at 8:16pm
Just do a search for them; clutch repair in Wisconsin.
There are a LOT of them on the east side of the state. 
There are a few here in La Crosse also.
Where are you located?
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Freewheeling View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freewheeling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2024 at 10:19pm
I'm located in Sheboygan Falls which is halfway between Green Bay & Milwaukee.  I haven't searched locally yet because I was hoping to get  a recommendation on one that has a good reputation.  I only want to split the tractor once.  I plan to open it up next week and see what I've got. 
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2024 at 6:45am
Just an incident with South Bend Clutch: A few years back I got a clutch kit for my Dad's 89 Dodge Diesel 5 speed. Got everything and installed it. everything seemed fine until one day my wife was out in the truck and called to say it quit moving and would not hold on a hill with the engine off and in gear. After having AAA tow the truck home, when I pulled the transmission, I found that the driving splines in the clutch disc had torn from the disc. This disc was not made as most all the clutch discs are, with a set of splines made into a solid hub the damping springs to the disc, it had a hub pressed into a bunch of fingers with a plastic insert to the disc.  The disc had "Made in China" stamped into the disc. At this time the truck had less than 15,000 miles since the clutch had been installed.  When I called South Bend about this, they said they didn't sell any Chinese parts, When I confronted them with pictures of the disc with "Made in China" stamped in to it they wanted to know how old this was after digging into the records, I found that this was purchased and installed in 1999. They still wouldn't admit it was a Chinese part and no warranty could be given. I let them know they were lucky enough to be able to survive without my business or anyone I could influence. 
 At that time Rick Corder sold me a clutch disc that had the splined dampened hub like a REAL clutch disc should be. That dis has been in the truck for nearly 22 years now and has worked fine. 

If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
Real pullers don't have speed limits.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Rick View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2024 at 7:34am
South Bend Clutch or Kentucky Clutch...both good rebuilders...

sparky View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2024 at 8:09am
Kentucky clutch does all of mine and they are close also but I had Rick rebuild the hand clutch on my CA.
It's the color tractor my grandpa had!
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2024 at 8:18am
I've installed several clutches from both builders over the years and never a problem I'm aware of. 

Not all clutches are spring dampened. I have several that are rigid mount. My 12V-71T Detroit Diesel has rigid mounted clutch discs installed and they are South Bend Clutch vendored. I want to say the 1693TA Caterpillar engine also has a South Bend Clutch setup but they are spring dampened. 

I don't remember seeing anything branded "Made in China" on either vendor's setups. Both have worked well for me over the years in heavy trucks applications with a couple of pickup trucks thrown into the mix. 
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
Freewheeling View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freewheeling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2024 at 8:47am
Thanks Paul.  That is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. There are a number of on-line sellers today but most of their parts are Chinese junk.  My old appliances,  tools,  lawn/garden equipment and tractors outlast the new crap with computer chips and plastic components.  My wife's Subaru has a $1,500 electronic "thermo control valve" (thermostat), that failed @ 20,000.  I think my WD still has the original.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic