This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

185 coolant heaterinstall

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 185 coolant heaterinstall
    Posted: 17 Dec 2023 at 6:59pm
Last year I installed a coolant heater tank type on a 185 using the bottom radiator drain coming out of the heater going into an outlet up by the thermostat. It works great but this 185 does not have a place by the thermostat tapped for a nipple. Where do y’all go in-this situation? Thanks. Dana
Blue Skies and Tail Winds
                          Dana
Sponsored Links

Lynn Marshall View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynn Marshall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2023 at 7:43pm
I have drilled and tapped the thermostat housings many times over the years.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynn Marshall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2023 at 8:04pm
Couple of other things. I would have thought that 185 either had a factory type block heater on the right side or at least the holes would be there to put a factory heater in the block. If you are committed to the tank type heater design, then I used to run the lower heater hose back to the block drain rather than the radiator drain. I believe that the heater will work better and heat the block more efficiently.  If the way that you have the other 185 plumbed works, then just do the same.
captaindana View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2023 at 4:27am
Lynn I would MUCH rather install a block heater. On the right side? I’ll go take a look. Thanks! And I knew you would suggest drilling and tapping😁. Thanks. Dana
                          Dana
Alvin M View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alvin M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2023 at 4:40am
It should have a two bolt plate above the starter heater # is 70256705
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2023 at 5:55am

Is this circle thing what I remove to put heater into? If so how does one remove, I never have…
                          Dana
Alvin M View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alvin M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2023 at 7:28am
Make sure the top hole has good threads first then use sharp tool punch hole in plug and pop plug out then clean paint off real good install heater with gasket
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynn Marshall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2023 at 7:57am
Exactly what Alvin said. 7/16ths coarse thread tap.
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2023 at 8:26am
that is the frost plug if their is a kats block heater for it ,   parts store should be able to find aplication 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2023 at 10:03am
Ok y’all got me confused (doesn’t take much). Block heaters I have on other engines just slide in the block and get tightened so the rubber O rings seal. Apparently you guys have ones that bolt on??
                          Dana
Alvin M View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alvin M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2023 at 10:06am
Yes the AGCO is 70256705 or Kats # is 30208  or Google it I have three in stock for 90.43 plus shipping
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2023 at 10:12am
Ok I see now…thanks! Dana
                          Dana
calico190xt68 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calico190xt68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2023 at 8:50am
I took my frost plug out of my Early 190 to put in a block heater.  Punching a hole it to remove did not work for me.  I ended up drilling a hole in it, then I pushed a heavy duty punch into the hole, then I took a small sledge and hit it on top of the punch to "pry" the plug out.  It took a lot of hits but it came.  I mangled that plug pretty good.

The other thing to watch out for is getting good sealant and good tightness.  My casting hole was actually a little oblong so I had to perform surgery.  I ended up using a drill to remove some of the casting flange that was causing a bad fit and leakage.  I did not have the 7/16 screw hole like you do so mine was tightened with internal clamps so the misfit flange was a big deal.

I used tank heaters but block heater is the way to go and worth the effort.  It is warm in 30-45 minutes.
80 7010, 80 7020. 67 190XTD Series I w/500 Loader, AC 2000 Plow, AC 4 row Planter, AC 77G Rake, Member Indiana A-C Partners, Member TAC
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2023 at 10:01am
looks like this..........

Like them all, but love the "B"s.
DanielW View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanielW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2023 at 10:21am
Originally posted by Alvin M Alvin M wrote:

Yes the AGCO is 70256705 or Kats # is 30208  or Google it I have three in stock for 90.43 plus shipping

I put the same block heater in my 180 last year. Best price I found was from the local Agco (Massey Fergeson) dealer - about $95 CAD and it only took them a couple of days to get. Easy install: I like how these ones seal against the block rather than the typical O-ring compression style. The O-ring style are prone to leak if the block has any pitting around the frost plug hole.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2023 at 8:02pm
Done

Dana
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic