This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D15 engine block damage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D15 engine block damage
    Posted: 26 Nov 2023 at 10:56am

My D15 broke the connecting rod and I didn't notice the damage to the block at the lower o ring. Can this be reassembled with only a single o ring? If not is the block repairable?
Sponsored Links

Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2023 at 11:42am
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2023 at 1:02pm
There are two o-rings on a liner for a good guarantee that there will be no leaks... You COULD use one o-ring and get by if everything goes GOOD on the assembly and forms a good seal... There is no guarantee and nobody will be able to tell you for certain that it will work....  Long term, if you do it and then have a minor leak, you could put in some radiator sealer and let it finish things up.

Many will complain about the nick in the journal.. That will not hurt as long as it is cleaned up and nothing sticking up above the round surface.. I would be more concerned about the journal being ROUND ..... Before going ahead with the crank and block, i would inspect everything very good to make sure you found all possible problems.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2023 at 1:29pm
I assume that is a G-160/ Series 2 engine ?? Anyway, no one can repair that block as cheaply as just finding another block.
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2023 at 1:54pm
Steve the engine got a comple overhaul kit put in it about 3 years ago. The crank was inspected then and everything measured good I installed all new sleeves and pistions at that point the motor was completely gone through. This started with a broken ring causing blow by I figured it would be ok to use it for a few weeks work I needed which proved wrong. As the rod broke at the wrist pin end.
Dr,Allis the motor is definitely a 149 I made the mistake of ordering the 160 kit for it when I rebuilt the motor. The tractor was built out of 2 parts machines and the motor is serries 1 the first year of production iirc .
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2023 at 2:36pm
How would the inexperienced identify a G-149 block? There are two or three partial Allis engines in a warehouse I will be at tomorrow sometime and can look. What is the bore size, and is there a series of numbers? These are all partials but I think one is a relatively complete short block. No G-226 we found out early on. 
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2023 at 3:43pm
I have some blocks available for the 149 engine.  Maryland
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
Real pullers don't have speed limits.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2023 at 5:04pm
I have blocks also , there are plenty 149 blocks out there  not a real high $$$ block  by far. 

Edited by Fred in Pa - 26 Nov 2023 at 5:04pm
He who dies with the most toys is,
nonetheless ,still dead.
If all else fails ,Read all that is PRINTED.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2023 at 6:45pm
Just remember a D-15/G-149 block with full-flow oil.
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2023 at 6:51pm
Thanks Dr. Allis I definitely would have been able to get that wrong.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic