This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

7000 oil leak

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 7000 oil leak
    Posted: 05 Aug 2023 at 12:07pm
I’ve had this oil leak since I bought the tractor a year and a half ago. It comes down that crack where my green arrow is.

On the front side timing gear inspection cover it appears prior guy snapped off a fastener. I really can’t tell if that’s where the oil is coming from, but I am assuming with the big fan right there if it did leak, it would blow it back to where I see it. What do all of you experts think?

Edited by captaindana - 05 Aug 2023 at 12:08pm
Blue Skies and Tail Winds
                          Dana
Sponsored Links

Lynn Marshall View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynn Marshall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2023 at 6:50pm
Gasket between the block and the front plate. Kind of a big job.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2023 at 7:16pm
Looks like the dowel pin is missing too.
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2023 at 8:24pm
Fix it before you cross a ditch and seize the head in injection pump.           MACK
captaindana View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2023 at 5:25am
Gee what the heck? Why’d this happen? What dowel? Lack of oil from dripping will seize the injection pump head? I gots questions! Jeesh what a Sunday morn wake up call😫 Guess I’ll unhook her from the Paquea 6 star Tedder before we are done haying this year. And where domI start?

Edited by captaindana - 06 Aug 2023 at 5:36am
                          Dana
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2023 at 5:39am
In your first pic, under the injection pump you can see an empty hole in the block ear. There should be a 1/2" line-up dowel in that hole and it has worked out and is GONE. This dowel is what positions the front engine plate and front timing cover onto the block to keep them centered and from ever moving around. The timing cover bolts then just squeeze things together. When the dowel is missing the injection pump can potentially seize due to misalignment to the timing gear train. Can happen when the front axle bottoms out when oscillating. Seen it before and it was manure loader related hanging on those side frames. A big repair to say the least. Don't make it worse by seizing an injection pump head too.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2023 at 5:57am
Originally posted by captaindana captaindana wrote:

Gee what the heck? Why’d this happen? What dowel? Lack of oil from dripping will seize the injection pump head? I gots questions! Jeesh what a Sunday morn wake up call😫 Guess I’ll unhook her from the Paquea 6 star Tedder before we are done haying this year. And where do I start?
                          Dana
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2023 at 9:15am
Since the dowel pin worked its way out, can you just put a locking agent on a new dowel pin and slide it in there ?
JPG AUSTRALIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPG AUSTRALIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2023 at 9:38am
Originally posted by DougG DougG wrote:

Since the dowel pin worked its way out, can you just put a locking agent on a new dowel pin and slide it in there ?

I’ve been thinking the same thing😀
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2023 at 3:28pm
Might be worth a try to stick a new pin in clean hole with loctite. Nothing to lose.
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2023 at 4:08pm
I think we should try to come visit you. And I’ll bring you a new dowel pin. Also think can help with intermediate gasket set
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2023 at 6:52pm
MikeZ y’all welcome anytime just gimme a heads up a day ahead to make sure I’m around or not working 1500 bales! Love to see you and Pa. BTW what does that dowel look like? Can you post pic? I’ll bet you’re trying to make dry hay too? It’s like impossible to get 3 consecutive days of hay drying weather. I have 9K in the mow with maybe 6k to go. mom nature is giving us a heckofa great growing season but not a good drying season. Oh well… 5185428779

Edited by captaindana - 06 Aug 2023 at 7:06pm
                          Dana
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2023 at 7:45pm
The dowel pin must be press fit in block and push fit in front plate. Front plate needs replaced or rebuilt.                         MACK
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2023 at 7:54pm
Yea two sunny days after inches of rain every other week. Certainly is interesting ha.

Edited by Mikez - 06 Aug 2023 at 7:58pm
Leon B MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2023 at 8:53pm
I had a similar problem with a 426 in our 8050, front plate gasket failure. But my front plate was egg shaped around dowel pins. Took plate, front cover and dowels to a machine shop. He machined bushings in the front plate to keep dowels tight in front plate. No leaks for 2 years now. But yes it takes several service hours to repair. On the plus side, it's a good time to replace the rod and all but one cam bearings. Good luck.
Leon B MO
Uncle always said "Fill the back of the shovel and the front will take care of itself".
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2023 at 6:03am
Originally posted by Leon B MO Leon B MO wrote:

I had a similar problem with a 426 in our 8050, front plate gasket failure. But my front plate was egg shaped around dowel pins. Took plate, front cover and dowels to a machine shop. He machined bushings in the front plate to keep dowels tight in front plate. No leaks for 2 years now. But yes it takes several service hours to repair. On the plus side, it's a good time to replace the rod and all but one cam bearings. Good luck.
Leon B MO

I would think that, unless the machinist had a good front plate to measure from, being just a few thousands of an inch off, could make too much stress on the injections pump.
Hurst View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2023 at 6:16am
In theory, they should be able to use the front timing cover (aluminum cover) to get their hole measurements from, since the holes on it are concentric with many of the bolt holes and both dowel holes on the plate/block.  I'll find out one of these days.  I have the same issue on my 7000.  The frame rails just aren't quite stiff enough to hold things together once those dowel holes start to loosen up...

Hurst
1979 Allis Chalmers 7000
5800 Hours
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic