Forum Description: everything about Allis-Chalmers farm equipment
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=196507
Printed Date: 25 Sep 2024 at 3:17pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 7000 oil leak
Posted By: captaindana
Subject: 7000 oil leak
Date Posted: 05 Aug 2023 at 12:07pm
I’ve had this oil leak since I bought the tractor a year and a half ago. It comes down that crack where my green arrow is.

On the front side timing gear inspection cover it appears prior guy snapped off a fastener. I really can’t tell if that’s where the oil is coming from, but I am assuming with the big fan right there if it did leak, it would blow it back to where I see it. What do all of you experts think?

-------------
Blue Skies and Tail Winds
                          Dana

Replies:
Posted By: Lynn Marshall
Date Posted: 05 Aug 2023 at 6:50pm
Gasket between the block and the front plate. Kind of a big job.

Posted By: DrAllis
Date Posted: 05 Aug 2023 at 7:16pm
Looks like the dowel pin is missing too.

Posted By: MACK
Date Posted: 05 Aug 2023 at 8:24pm
Fix it before you cross a ditch and seize the head in injection pump.           MACK

Date Posted: 06 Aug 2023 at 5:25am
Gee what the heck? Why’d this happen? What dowel? Lack of oil from dripping will seize the injection pump head? I gots questions! Jeesh what a Sunday morn wake up call😫 Guess I’ll unhook her from the Paquea 6 star Tedder before we are done haying this year. And where domI start?

-------------
                          Dana

Posted By: DrAllis
Date Posted: 06 Aug 2023 at 5:39am
In your first pic, under the injection pump you can see an empty hole in the block ear. There should be a 1/2" line-up dowel in that hole and it has worked out and is GONE. This dowel is what positions the front engine plate and front timing cover onto the block to keep them centered and from ever moving around. The timing cover bolts then just squeeze things together. When the dowel is missing the injection pump can potentially seize due to misalignment to the timing gear train. Can happen when the front axle bottoms out when oscillating. Seen it before and it was manure loader related hanging on those side frames. A big repair to say the least. Don't make it worse by seizing an injection pump head too.

Date Posted: 06 Aug 2023 at 5:57am
Originally posted by captaindana captaindana wrote:

Gee what the heck? Why’d this happen? What dowel? Lack of oil from dripping will seize the injection pump head? I gots questions! Jeesh what a Sunday morn wake up call😫 Guess I’ll unhook her from the Paquea 6 star Tedder before we are done haying this year. And where do I start?

-------------
                          Dana

Posted By: DougG
Date Posted: 06 Aug 2023 at 9:15am
Since the dowel pin worked its way out, can you just put a locking agent on a new dowel pin and slide it in there ?

Posted By: JPG AUSTRALIA
Date Posted: 06 Aug 2023 at 9:38am
Originally posted by DougG DougG wrote:

Since the dowel pin worked its way out, can you just put a locking agent on a new dowel pin and slide it in there ?

I’ve been thinking the same thing😀

Posted By: SteveM C/IL
Date Posted: 06 Aug 2023 at 3:28pm
Might be worth a try to stick a new pin in clean hole with loctite. Nothing to lose.

Posted By: Mikez
Date Posted: 06 Aug 2023 at 4:08pm
I think we should try to come visit you. And I’ll bring you a new dowel pin. Also think can help with intermediate gasket set

Date Posted: 06 Aug 2023 at 6:52pm
MikeZ y’all welcome anytime just gimme a heads up a day ahead to make sure I’m around or not working 1500 bales! Love to see you and Pa. BTW what does that dowel look like? Can you post pic? I’ll bet you’re trying to make dry hay too? It’s like impossible to get 3 consecutive days of hay drying weather. I have 9K in the mow with maybe 6k to go. mom nature is giving us a heckofa great growing season but not a good drying season. Oh well… 5185428779

-------------
                          Dana

Posted By: MACK
Date Posted: 06 Aug 2023 at 7:45pm
The dowel pin must be press fit in block and push fit in front plate. Front plate needs replaced or rebuilt.                         MACK

Posted By: Mikez
Date Posted: 06 Aug 2023 at 7:54pm
Yea two sunny days after inches of rain every other week. Certainly is interesting ha.

Posted By: Leon B MO
Date Posted: 06 Aug 2023 at 8:53pm
I had a similar problem with a 426 in our 8050, front plate gasket failure. But my front plate was egg shaped around dowel pins. Took plate, front cover and dowels to a machine shop. He machined bushings in the front plate to keep dowels tight in front plate. No leaks for 2 years now. But yes it takes several service hours to repair. On the plus side, it's a good time to replace the rod and all but one cam bearings. Good luck.
Leon B MO

-------------
Uncle always said "Fill the back of the shovel and the front will take care of itself".

Posted By: WF owner
Date Posted: 07 Aug 2023 at 6:03am
Originally posted by Leon B MO Leon B MO wrote:

I had a similar problem with a 426 in our 8050, front plate gasket failure. But my front plate was egg shaped around dowel pins. Took plate, front cover and dowels to a machine shop. He machined bushings in the front plate to keep dowels tight in front plate. No leaks for 2 years now. But yes it takes several service hours to repair. On the plus side, it's a good time to replace the rod and all but one cam bearings. Good luck.
Leon B MO

I would think that, unless the machinist had a good front plate to measure from, being just a few thousands of an inch off, could make too much stress on the injections pump.

Posted By: Hurst
Date Posted: 09 Aug 2023 at 6:16am
In theory, they should be able to use the front timing cover (aluminum cover) to get their hole measurements from, since the holes on it are concentric with many of the bolt holes and both dowel holes on the plate/block.  I'll find out one of these days.  I have the same issue on my 7000.  The frame rails just aren't quite stiff enough to hold things together once those dowel holes start to loosen up...

Hurst

-------------
1979 Allis Chalmers 7000
5800 Hours

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net