This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

180D injection pump

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 180D injection pump
    Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 3:34pm
Anyone here rebuilt/resealed their pump at home?  This is basically a Roosa Master pump in Teledyne clothes.  Are there kits available to rebuild them or do I have to order all the small parts individually?  Or is this something I should let the local AGCo dealer tear into?

My 180 struggles from time to time on starts, even when warm and acts to be sucking air but it does not drip anywhere even with a full fuel tank, at times it will flutter at mid throttle and then clean up but against the wood it is fine.
Sponsored Links

injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 4:31pm
I am not sure about teledyne, but STANADYNE is the parent company from which Roosa Master pumps came from. It is not a job for the do it yourselfer, or an Agco dealer for that matter. 180/185's were turned down so far that once worn a little, get hard to start. I address this issue when I rebuild them. take it to an authorized Stanadyne dealer, or send it to me and I'll fix it up for you. DB pumps run around $500-$600 to fix up nice, and I am a Stanadyne Factory trained pump technician, and I work in a Stanadyne Authorized shop.
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
joshjohndeere View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joshjohndeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 10:03pm
not to undermine you ed but the kit for the pump only costs 38.00 at your local john deere dealer and its the same pump most of the 4020's  and 3020's used.  they arent too hard if u have the tools thats the only downfall.  i do agree with ed though on the fact that if u have never delt with an injection pump take it to a dealer who knows what they r doing.  just my 2 cents worth.
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 10:22am
yes, the  kit is 24371 we have them in stock for 35.80, but there is alot more to our pump rebuilds than "putting in a kit". these aren't as simple a a carburetor.
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 2:46pm
Sorry for the teledyne slip, i had just finished swapping p/s pumps on a IHC road truck and had it in my head.  I used to work in truck garages where we sent out our roosa master units to a diesel injection service, I knew the small things we could do to tham as the advance collar and a few seals, I was just wondering if this style pump was any simpler.  I will set up for the fall after mowing the last time to get it off and sent out.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 2:48pm
injpumpEd,

Do me a favor and send me a pm with your email and address, I will try locally first but if they waver at all on the age or pump type I will send it your way.  I really prefer to keep the locals working but I will use a fellow that is acquainted better with a system if need be.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joshjohndeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 7:58pm

inj pump ed just outta curiosity what else do u guys do the high and low throttle settings are set on the throttle arm,  the leaf spring is set at max already the fuel setting is done with the allen screw going to the metering valve,  of course u change out governor washers and all the other seals, maybe install new rollers im just asking for future knowledge not to question your practices.  would love to hear more. thanks

injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 9:10pm
if I told you all my secrets, I'd have to silence you. LOL! most DB pumps come in with a broken flex ring. So if its a working tractor, not a parade tractor, we put the EID retainer in it. the leaf spring is not set at max, unless thats what customer wants, there are 4 different length leaf springs by the way. rollers and shoes get replaced only if needed, which is seldom. not sure what you mean by changing out governor washers. metering valve is fairly commonly replaced, along with the arm. Delivery valve and spring as well as the stop get changed regularly. I have certain ways I set roller to roller for differing applications, along with eccentricity. Also adjust the linkage to a preferred setting. I add a torque screw if not already equipped, to give an external means of adjustment. Pilot tube gets replaced. once its all assembled, it goes to the test stand and I calibrate it, based on the test spec, or my own custom spec for special applications, such as pullers. Calibration consists of setting transfer pump pressure, then adjusting the advance. then set hi idle screw, full load delivery with torque screw, check peak torque delivery, set idle speed screw, then check cranking delivery. then pull it off the stand, cap it up, put seal wires on if applicable, then paint it. that is a brief description, obviously I completely tear it down, and  thoroughly clean all the parts, wire wheel, and bead blasting as needed. and of course all seals, and crush washers. thanks for your interest, and by the way, we warranty our pumps for 1 year, unless turned up more than 10%. 
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joshjohndeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 7:57pm
hey ed
in our shop we call the rubber ring the governor washer and i havent bench tested a pump since college.  we just bench set them and have never had a problem.  the 180 pump doesnt have timing advance unless it is a really late one according to my research or unless it was on a 185, am i correct or not?  so has anyone ever tied to put an inline pump on one of these engines im just curious?

CJohnS MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJohnS MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by joshjohndeere joshjohndeere wrote:

hey ed

Ya know what? Playing games like what you are doing right now is uncalled for.

Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joshjohndeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 8:24pm
im sorry if i pissed u off john i wasnt intending to do that at all i was just asking questions and trying to gain more knowledge.  i apologize if i have upset u too ed, that was not my intentions at all.
ILGLEANER View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ILGLEANER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 8:44pm
I always wandered how much they make at sheid diesel when its 800 to rebuild a roosamaster pump. 500 to 600  ??? I dont know ,just cant see how there can be that much in parts  in that little pump. And how long would it take to rebuild a pump from when you tear it down to have it ready to go back on.
                                                    IG
Education doesn't make you smart, it makes you educated.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joshjohndeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 9:09pm
i agree with u ilgleaner, our shop charges 85 an hour for labor a kit costs 38.00 a few other things soo ill give them 150.00 for that sthat leaves almost enough labor left for 5 hours of work and our old techs can do it in about 3 hours if they dont have to soak anything in chemdip.  but oh well its only money and like they say u cant take it with u and the only difference berween men and boys is the price of our toys.
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 9:22pm
Check your fuel lines from the tank to the primer pump and at the injector pump.My 185 got to starting hard and fluttered every once in awhile and I changed the rubber compression washers on the fuel lines and at the primer pump and it cracks right off now and runs smooth.You could have a bad pump but I would check the lines first.
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 9:23pm
josh, you are right about the lack of an advance on the 180's, but I was giving a generic run down of our procedure. Our labor rate is 87 an hour, and DB's are flat rated at 4hrs. thats 348 in labor, rest is parts. the EID retainer is a $60 part, but a valuable upgrade on a working tractor. By your shop charging  customers to put in a new flex ring, and re-assembling the pump, then putting it on the tractor may be ok for some, but there are others who like to have things properly serviced, for not alot more money. You are a JD tech, think about MR Independent shop working on one of your color tractors, does he provide the customer with the best value for his buck? maybe, maybe not. I have seen some scary work come out of very reputable shops. very disturbing!
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joshjohndeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 9:36pm
i agree with u ed about quality of service, and i strive to produce the best time in and time out, i have seen the work a local shop has done that i have had to rework because they had no clue what they were dealing with. but on another note that eid retainer your talking about just to be on the same base thats the retainer ring on the governer weight cage correct and what so special about yours are they the ones that are black or the clear ones?
ILGLEANER View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ILGLEANER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 9:44pm
So if  what you guys  say are true. Lets say 200 in parts. 350 in labor. I dont see where anyone (I dont care if your a doctor ) is worth 90 dollars an hour. Someone is making good money on that 350. Then most of them if you exchange is 800.00 .  So for 4 hrs work they are making probably 100% markup on the parts,650 clear. 2 a day 1300 a day. Thats 6500 a week x 52 weeks. That would be 338,000.00 a year.......... just saying not bad money.  I dont want to make anyone mad ,just saying I think they make plenty for what they do.
                                                      IG
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joshjohndeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 9:48pm
gleaner
i can advise u outta that 90 an hour the tech is probably only recieveing about 12-18 dollars of that per hour.

Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joshjohndeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 9:50pm
ed you can correct me if im wrong but i probably know what i mean.
ILGLEANER View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ILGLEANER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 9:55pm
That is what I was saying josh. If they are charging  90 an hour. I figure paying the guy, 20,and on another 10 for workmanscomp,taxes,etc. Every hour they charge for is 60 an hour clear.   And these Sheid shops dont take millions of dollars to build. They are making  a killing.
                                                     IG

Edited by ILGLEANER - 19 Aug 2010 at 9:56pm
ac45 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 10:07pm
Well they kinda have you over a barrell, but  how many people have the know how and patience to take one of these apart and put it back together? I probbaly could if i had a knowledgeable person show me and had the time,and had a couple to practice on,but i have neither.When i take that thing off  the engine , send it in and then put it back on i want it to be right cause my time is worth something.  There is also some expense in the test stand equipment, thing is that most shops will charge 400 for just a governor ring, and like what was said about they wont even run it on the test stand. Its worth the extra to have it done right. if it last 20 years, starts better, and runs better thats not to bad of a deal. The real rip off is the guy charging $400 and slapping the $40 dollar kit in it and not running it on the test stand
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joshjohndeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 10:10pm
thats how they can offord to pull those nice dodge pickups that have insane horsepower thats how they make there play money while guys like ed are have to stick to playing in the local sand box with the rest of us....lol.. no offense ed but i didnt see super farm outlaw pulling tractor listed in your list of toys and im not tyring to poke fun at u at all.
GBACBFan View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBACBFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 11:02pm
$90 an hour is a little high, but not outrageous. The employee benefit package, tools and equipment, taxes & misc. insurances, FUTA/SUTA, employee training, and overhead are significant labor cost components. Combine this with the reality that every employee hour worked is not billable to a customer, or during slow periods in business the company keeps the employee busy doing other things on the employer's dime, and of course enough profit to keep the doors open long term, $90/hr is within the realm of reasonableness. 
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine." - Mark Twain
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 11:38pm
Do the rebuild kits come with instructions?
Steve M C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 11:55pm

IG;I wouldn't spend my money at Eff Shied.You don't get what you pay for.Okay for parts but quality work ain't there.

injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2010 at 8:31am
well, rebuild kit is really not the correct term, it should be called a seal kit. How many engines have you rebuilt with only a gasket kit? Since the technicians attend a week long course to become stanadyne certified, there is no need for instructions in every kit. Josh, the EID weight retainer is the improved design that has encased rubber bumpers that can never come out, while still isolating the weights from the driveshaft shock. It eliminates the use of a flex ring entirely. Yes, our shop rate is $87/hr, and I only get a fraction of that, but the tooling expenses, as well as costs of being in business are getting rediculous. I am only a grunt mechanic, but I am full aware of the costs associated, and no I DO NOT work for scheid. I have seen some work from their shops, and am quite disappointed when customers tell me how much they spent. Also Josh, you stated that your guy takes about 3 hrs to do a DB, we are 4. How much more time is he spending with the tractor on the dyno "calibrating" the pump. At least another hour? So ultimately the customer pays for a substandard job, but spent about the same money. Plus I'm not too sure I'd want one of my old tractors on a dyno running the risk of overspeeding while getting hi idle set, as well as working it hard while setting the power. I have seen guys just turn up the fuel because it didn't dyno enough, when all along he had the timing off. I don't mean to slam people working on their own pumps, but when they start to slam what I do for a living, it tends to piss me off a little. oh yea, we warranty our work for a year, and the only time anything comes back in is always contamination! IG, you talking about scheid's exchange prices is why we dont do exchange on many pumps at all. you have to pad the price for when a crappy core comes back in, so everyone has to pay more, not just the guy who sent in a total piece of junk as a core. I prefer to rebuild your pump, you generally know the history, and it seems everyone wants theirs set  a little different. Reman starters, and alternators may be ok, but injection pumps are not. This is the brains of your engine, and they generally are just set close to spec. the people building them have no idea what or why they are doing what they do. So it pays to use a qualified shop.
BobH View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2010 at 3:03pm
Well said Ed,if I need a pump rebuilt you will get my business!!
JPG AUSTRALIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPG AUSTRALIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2010 at 7:30pm

Well I wish you had a shop over here in western aust Ed! because those prices are a bargain.Most fuelpump/injector places as soon as they see your pump want a few thousand dollars,I play around abit with them myself but only because of the rip offs.Had a CAV pump off a 354 perkins that I wanted akit in couldnt find a place to do it under a $1000 dollars! Kit was $50 to buy didnt, have the time to do it myself
eventually found aguy to do it for aprice but still too much.All tractor dealer ships here charge about $100 an hour.(AUS $ =90c US)

Amos View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2010 at 10:41pm
What ticks me off is taking a pump to a shop and telling them what it is doing wrong and being told we will fix it up correcting th problem.  I told them it has a lot of hours and I want it right.  Get it back for $600 dollars and it runs worse.  Called them on the phone and explained this again. 
Then I got thinking about it, got the bill out, it says pump set @ 77cc.  Look in my service manual and it says 85cc....hmm....called him back and asked for the pump specs on my pump and he gets all pissy about it.  So I go see him pump in hand and my service manual.  I said to him heres my bill, my pump, I want to see your specs for setting my pump, he says I have to go to data base Issy I don't it says in my service manual and you set my pump wrong he says let me service manual I say lets see data base  he says no I say well pumps still not right it says on the bill 77cc and service manual says 85.  He says well for $100 I will set it @ 85.  I say well better fix it.  Pump comes back with the shut off stops set so I have to change the mounting bracket for the cable.  It runs better now but still not the way I think it should run.  Just real nervous as to why I had to move the shutoff cable mount.  Last time I ever go to that pump shop.  And I usually spend between $6000 and $10,00 a year there.  Not the first pump that was wrong but the other ones all broke or blew up and they fixed them no charge for me.  Yes blew up, took back as I recall over 40 pieces in a cardboard box on two different occasions. 
And I also wonder how much they are making on each pump. 
Run a 210 with the pump set @77cc and see what hp it has on the dyno.  Don't expect it to pull very good or hold in there when you put a load on it.  My 200 had more power on the same Dyno and it has over 3000hrs on it since I got it without the pump ever coming off.
Sorry, just struck a bone with me.
ILGLEANER View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ILGLEANER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2010 at 11:01pm
Ed,
 I dont at all want to piss you off. And I am not questioning your work. I saw your tractors at Dales and was very impressed. I am sure you do good work. All I was saying is that Sheid pretty well sets the standard around here,with pricing. If everyone else knows what they charge, there going to charge that also,wether sheid is riping me off or not. The thing with me being a farmer,I can't take my pump off and loose 4 hrs in a day watching someone rebuild my pump, I know that costs me,but its my life. I pay what everyone charges me,and I sell for what everyone tells me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic