This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A few 190XT questions.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ezlle71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A few 190XT questions.
    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 11:15am
Hello everybody,
We farm about 400 tillable acres and another almost 100 of hay ground. The goal is to get this tractor back into full use capability instead of just a loader tractor. 
A good friend and i have been doing some major repairs to my 190xt.
Its a 1968 diesel, split it and rebuilt the power director, (low side was slipping), New main clutch kit and flywheel, rear main seal. Had the injector pump rebuilt as the governor was about to fly to pieces. The mounts for the platform were all busted out so welded all that up. I believe it was from wearing a cab and the previous owner did not do much maintenance. And a bunch of other stuff along the way we have fixed. 

Question 1. My dad wants to take the 18.4 38's off his parts 7010 and put them on the 190. What would be the best way to go about this? 

Question 2. Where does the 68' model fall as far as the weak rearends and other known weak points in the 190 series?

Question 3. Any other tricks or tips for this machine that will help the longevity and performance? 
Thank you for any help/ideas you can throw my way. 

190XT, 185, D15 SII, 7040 is living again, 7010 retired for parts.
Sponsored Links

Joe(TX) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe(TX) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 11:35am
1. You would need the centers from a 200 tractor to put the 38 in tires on. The combination, however would make the tractor a lot faster since the tires are 4 in. larger than the original. I would not recommend the 38 in tires.
2. A lot depends on the serial number of the tractor. A lot of improvements were made at SN 23001 (series !!!). The biggest change being the 4 pinion differential.
1970 190XT, 1973 200, 1962 D-19 Diesel, 1979 7010, 1957 WD45, 1950 WD, 1961 D17, Speed Patrol, D14, All crop 66 big bin, 180 diesel, 1970 170 diesel, FP80 forklift. Gleaner A
ezlle71 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ezlle71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 12:04pm
serial # is 19xxx i can't remember the last 3. I will have to look at my notes. I thought 38's were a common swap. I take the axle shafts would be bigger on the 7010 so ya can't use the centers?

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 12:07pm
You can use the 38 inch wheel centers from a D-19, 190, 190XT, 200, 7000 and D-21. Use your existing center bushings. 7010mand up are totally different.
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 12:07pm
With after market cabs they were known to break platform mounts. If the rear end has ever been overhauled it may have the 4 pinion differential already.

How far gone is the 7010? That was a great tractor and may be worth resurrecting over doing a whole lot to the 190.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 12:14pm
To help longevity I wouldn’t put duals on it and then pull the snot out of it. It was really designed to pull equipment made for a 70 HP tractor but pull it faster. That would go a long way in making that tractor last. Also, of course, changing oils on time and using quality oil and filters. Oh, don’t grind gears either.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Joe(TX) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe(TX) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by ezlle71 ezlle71 wrote:

serial # is 19xxx i can't remember the last 3. I will have to look at my notes. I thought 38's were a common swap. I take the axle shafts would be bigger on the 7010 so ya can't use the centers?

38's were used, but they were 15.5's and not 18.4.
1970 190XT, 1973 200, 1962 D-19 Diesel, 1979 7010, 1957 WD45, 1950 WD, 1961 D17, Speed Patrol, D14, All crop 66 big bin, 180 diesel, 1970 170 diesel, FP80 forklift. Gleaner A
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 1:13pm
I put 18.4 38's on my XT, and I am very happy I did it. Gives it a lot better stance, more windrow clearance underneath for big round baling. Made it a little faster, but it needed to be. I didn't notice any power loss from turning the bigger tires, but then it's primary job was baling, and it didn't do any tillage. I sure hope that you didn't waste time and money on the power director, but if you did, it's all water under the bridge now anyhow. But on my one ninety gasser, I had power director slipping problems. I also had broken up platform issues like you had. Turned out that getting the platform fixed back up, beefed up, and propped up off the axle also fixed my power director issue. The sagging platform had the power director shift linkage out of whack, so it wasn't engaging the power director fully. Going on probably 10 years or better now since I fixed it up, and still rock solid. Good luck with your XT project. In my opinion, they are a great tractor. darrel
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 1:23pm
If the cab was added they probably didn't add the platform support braces. It should have tubes that bolt to the platform outside edge and go down to the top of the axle. These support the load of the cab. Otherwise the plTform is just bolted to the top of the transmition and the cab swaying gas a lot of leverage on the cross braces. You could also use univerth step up wedges to install the 38" rims on the 34" centers. The only problem with this is they are expensive. You'd need 12 dof them for each rim and they were $75 each when I looked for them. The farm I work at used them plus step up rims to go to 46" tires on one tractor. The rims and wedges were over $4000 that didn't include the cost of tires. We had tires all the other tractors use that size and we've got duals for all the tractors and spray cart. If you've got the power shift wheels you'll also need the hardware.

Edited by Dakota Dave - 07 Feb 2018 at 1:23pm
ezlle71 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ezlle71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 1:44pm
Thank you Doc! good info
Yea that stupid cab is NOT going back on. It tore one front mount completely off and the back part under the fuel tank was all busted out too. And wasn't planning on putting duals on. I guess probably keep the 34's unless i can find centers. No biggie there. Yea i am a stickler on keeping fluids and filters changed. An ounce of maintenance is worth a pound of repair in my book. 
Lonn, Dad bought the 7010 new and i think when the crank broke for the third time in about 2004-2005 we said the hell with it. It has been cannibalized for some parts so it lives on! we bought the 7040 after that.
When Jeff at Lott implement when thru the power director all the spacers were blue and 3 of the ceramic discs had blueing, so thats what we replaced. 

Edited by ezlle71 - 07 Feb 2018 at 1:47pm
grinder220 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grinder220 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 2:28pm
Get some step-up rims to go to 38s. Did it with mine and its far cheaper then the wedges and makes the tractor look a lot better and puts the drawbar up where it really should have been from the factory.
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 4:55pm
Wow, 3 broken cranks. Must be a problem with the block..... unless using reground cranks instead of new.
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by ezlle71 ezlle71 wrote:

Dad bought the 7010 new and i think when the crank broke for the third time in about 2004-2005 we said the hell with it. It has been cannibalized for some parts so it lives on! we bought the 7040 after that.

How many hours did the 7010 accumulate before it's crankshafts began breaking?
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 8:22pm
Will the XT be the main tillage tractor for those acres??
bigal121892 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigal121892 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 9:21pm
With all the orange tractors we had, and all the hours we put on, we only had one crankshaft break, (7040). That was after an overhaul, and was due to the block not being line bored at the time of the overhaul. Lot's of rear end failures, but only one crankshaft.
Allis Magoo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis Magoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 10:58pm
38s def make a better stance and look cooler
ezlle71 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ezlle71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2018 at 8:12am
Freedguy, No it will supplement the JD7230 that we have now. Mainly hay work, swathing baling loading hay. But will probably get some time on the field cultivator and drilling wheat or some beans. Grind feed, feed cows, just all kinds of random farm tasks. 

Bigal, the 185 broke a crank but that was the fuel pump went bad and pumped the crankcase full of diesel while grinding feed. Older sister was running it and had no idea til too late. 
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2018 at 9:13am
Broken crank because fuel got in the oil  ?? Nonsense. Broken crankshaft after the main and rod bearings burned out because of fuel in the oil ?? Nope.    Broken crankshaft because the local machine shop reground the crank incorrectly AND/OR the crank journals had been discolored from bearing failure (and shouldn't have been reground anyway) ?? BINGO  !!!!!  Multiple crank breakage failures in a 7010.......sounds pretty fishy to me. Who was the ignorant mechanic working on that one ???
ezlle71 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ezlle71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2018 at 10:31am
Doc, i talked to my dad the 185 scored the sleeves when the injector pump filled the crankcase with diesel. it was grinding hog feed at full throttle and my middle oldest sister was about 15-16 and didn't know any better. I was young when that happened and didn't quite have the story straight. Sorry about that. The 185 has been a great tractor it has been used and abused and still to this day goes to work. That tractor does not owe us a thing.

The 7010 broke the crank right at the edge of the rod journal. Hours were about 4000 or so dad thought.  All the work was done at the allis dealer. They replaced the crank and dad made it across the creek and almost to the field and it broke the second crank. The mechanic had found that crank upstairs at the dealer out of another tractor. So this time they got another crank from Abilene Machine. it lasted probably another 3000 hours and 10 years. Dad admitted he probably loaded it up on ether too much the last time and that's what broke the third one. The 7010 was hell on exhaust manifolds too. i know for a fact i replaced 2 and i think it had been done twice before that. 

All in all though we have always been allis guys. Dad had a 180 brand new and a 200 brand new. he traded the 200 on the 7010 and has always wished he would have kept the 200. 
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2018 at 2:54pm
7010's don't break crankshafts as a general rule. Those cranks were either reground (by someone who doesn't know how and when to regrind an AC crank) or there was a problem with the vibration dampner or line-bore of the block. Anyway, your mechanic obviously wasn't too up on AC engines with that kind of failure rate. In fact, he's maybe even a little worse than our local weatherman on forecasting.
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2018 at 4:22pm
Damper issue is first thing I thought, because the manifold issue. It had probably been running with the injection timing way off. When an engine isn't happy, it will tend to make parts fail lol!
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
ezlle71 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ezlle71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2018 at 7:49am
 The dealer was one one of the biggest Allis dealers in the state. 
I don't believe the timing was off. They did turn the pump and it dynoed at 120 hp i think. and ran a long time after that.
ezlle71 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ezlle71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 2:17pm
Worked on the 190 yesterday some more. Got to hear it run and move! Sounds a ton better with the rebuilt injector pump. Also hauled the 7040 home this weekend. So it was an Orange weekend to say the least lol. 
The 7040 has been sitting for over 3 years, i put a set of batteries in it, a sniff of ether and she took right off. i was surprised to say the least. When the 190 is done we are going to work on the 7040, hopefully before spring planting

ezlle71 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ezlle71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 8:30am
Wanted to get a picture of my tractor when we brought it home last weekend

Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 3:45pm
Looks like a beauty
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 9:31pm
I sold fuel to many farmers with 190's back when they were the "big tractor". My dads early 190xt was the only 1 I remember with 34" rubber. All the rest were 18.4x38's. I would not hesitate to do what you are wanting to do. I sold several step up kits for Case when I first started in the tire business in 1986. I do not remember anyone being unhappy with their decision. Have fun - just remember to recheck all bolts.
ezlle71 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ezlle71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 11:58pm

It’s hard to believe that’s the same tractor. That’s my dads 6400 next to it. It stalled on my dad and him and my mom went down there with my XT to pull it out but the water was rising to fast. Thank god they both made it out alive.
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 7:23am
wait... So what happened here? How they get flooded out? Sounds like a scary story
ezlle71 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ezlle71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 9:41am
That will be 5 years ago in August. The 6400 went down the road as salvage. We bought our 7230 and we cleaned up and repaired my 190xt. The water went over the top of the roofs of both.
ezlle71 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ezlle71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 12:58pm
Dad had went across the creek to take salt and mineral to the cows. He came back and the water was about 4 ft deep in the crossing. A big wake went out in front of him and it came back at killed the engine on the 6400. He swam out and went up and got my mom and my tractor. Tried to pull the 6400 out but the water was rising to fast. He bailed out of the 6400 when the water went over the top of steering wheel. Swam to shore and got my mom to the bank. Not bad for being 65 at the time lol
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic