This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Got my butt kicked

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Got my butt kicked
    Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 6:42am
Danged old farm tractor had a bad tire, was ripping open across the tread face so decided to swap it to a spare. 18.4x28

Hammered on it til could not any further, rolled wheel and all off and tried another farm tractor(did not work) then stepped up the game as I WAS really ANGRY at this point!! Tire came free. Was hard rusted to the rim!!

It was coming off or was going to destroy it where would have to buy another wheel!!
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 7:38am
If I had a 'yellow tire removal device'  like yours, I'd have used it FIRST..
one of them 'gettin older,work smarter, not harder' things....
these days it takes a LOT longer to heal form say,whackin yourself with a hammer'...

Jay

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 7:51am
Must have been the weekend for tire changing DMIller.

My Bobcat decided that it was time to test my patience. Had to get a round bale for our horses and came to a flat tire. Plugged it 2x before it would take as it is a tubeless tire. Then strapped it to get it hold air as the bead had broken.

After a couple of hours,,,, success.

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 8:38am
I hear both of ya!! I had considered the yellow dog but the other side tire had come off relatively easy two years ago. Rim fell apart on that one and the spare (one of two I had) I installed on that new rim went on smooth! This one not so much so!!

To top it all off, probably pinched the tube yesterday fighting with it, leaked down overnight so spare has to come half way BACK off!! DANGIT!

Edited by DMiller - 23 Jan 2018 at 2:08pm
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 12:54pm
Tire repairs always hold an uncertainty. One of my least favorite jobs. On an upbeat note, viewing from your photo, you didn't have a foot of snow that you had to work in. 
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 1:33pm
Tires, you never know... Hauled a load of moo-moos yesterday 50+ miles and had this happen a mile from destination.  Just kept going and unloaded and then went another mile to a tire shop. Didn't have a spare with me for the trailer, other than a different size wheel for the truck.

They were real busy so i asked if they would loan me a jack and a wrench. Dang nuts were really on tight but got them cracked loose and jacked up. and then rolled the wheel in and a bare rim and got  couple good tires put on. paid them and got back on the road and hit the wet slippery crap snow going home...
 Funnier part was, I checked the tire pressure of all four wheels in the morning and this tire was always at 70# pressure and did not see any cracks in the casing either, and thought to myself that it was the best tire on the trailer. LOL
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 2:09pm
Almost the most certain going to have to fix parts.
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 3:38pm
" Was hard rusted to the rim!!"

As were two on our AC Forty Five when we got it.  No idea of when they had last been moved.

First one didn't respond to the usual treatments.  As we needed it I had to cut the centre out with a chainsaw and then had to oxy the beads off.  So much for that tube.

The second one I made a 4-legged frame that fits over the centre and used the quick drop blade on the FA 10 as the hammer.  Eventually the beads came free.  Saved the tube in that one.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 3:47pm
We all have stories for sure. Love the pics.
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 4:27pm
If it was a junk tire I'd given it a Sawzallpendectomy.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 6:18pm
Would have but needed the tube and did not wish rim damage unless was angry enough to take my vengeance upon it!!
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2018 at 3:15am
ya'll needs to take lessons from Eldon!
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2018 at 8:04am
If you plan on changing tires for a few more years you need a slide hammer. Still hard work but you can save the tire and wheel in most cases.
The Consultator View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Consultator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2018 at 8:23am
Glad to hear that you all finally got things sorted out! Murphy always makes a causal appearance... 
1939 Allis-Chalmers "B" restored in 2010- very good condition.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2018 at 9:11am
Hi Leon, I do have a 20# tire slide hammer bead breaker, all it would do was bounce. Left the bucket on the unhammered side for five minutes before it finally let loose!! Was rust glued TIGHT! Previous repair happened nine years ago, old and replaced tube had calcium mix in it so was very little rust on a fairly new rim then, failed to think it soaked into the dry rot on the bead edges and then sat on the tractor for nine years. Had methanol in the tube this time.
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2018 at 11:53am
Had a very bad day working in a garage with a car on a lift
Had to hit something
Had a rubber hammer in my hand
Hit the car tire hard
The rebound laid me out on the garage floor

Never did that again
michale34 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michale34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2018 at 4:33pm
We were working on a skidder one time in the winter in the shop. we had a nice hot fire burning in the 55 gallon drum wood heater and so on. The boss had his skatterbrained teenage son in there with us .He was suspose to be cleaning the shop .We had just changed hoses and flushed out the radiator and refilled it with new antifreeze and we went on replacing other things. It got real hot in that shop .the boy put the old hoses in the heater and it was burning glowing red. The boss saw the smoke and flames comming out of the chemley and saw what he had done .As he was walking out cussing and carrying on he  football kicked a antifreeze box that he thought was empty but his son had put a battery in it and left it on the floor. He ended up with 4 broke toes and a fractured foot I would say he had a bad day!!!

Edited by michale34 - 24 Jan 2018 at 4:34pm
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2018 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

ya'll needs to take lessons from Eldon!

What is that change them every month.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2018 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by LeonR2013 LeonR2013 wrote:

If you plan on changing tires for a few more years you need a slide hammer. Still hard work but you can save the tire and wheel in most cases.

Post pounder and a digging bar will improvise for us cheap folks that don't do it to often. 
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2018 at 5:40pm
Holy Crap you were lucky it just laid ya out Dozer
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2018 at 6:11pm
I bought one of these, coupla years ago:

ON EDIT, link don't work, Go to Northern tool, search tractor tire removal tool...

Mine has a little different clamp, but works on the same principal...

Sure saves them choice words, fer another occasion...

Edited by DiyDave - 24 Jan 2018 at 6:13pm
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2018 at 8:52pm
Not trying to be a smart-azz (Oh yes you are)(NO I not!)(yes you is)(Oh shut up). If your break down tool was bouncing back at you, you were probably holding it too straight up and down. Lay it as flat as you can to drive it under the rim as far as you can. Move over about an inch and do it again. Sometimes you have to go all the way around doing this. Once you've got that done you can stand the tool up a bit and go around it again. Keep a chair close at all times. 
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 12:31am
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 6:36am
Been knocking down tires since 1976, was holding the bead breaker into the groove(what was of it) trying to angle in and get as hard to the bead and at the rim as possible. I am thinking will invest in a jack style bead breaker, have already bought a gallon of slimy bead lube(blue color) and trust me made a world of difference just going back on with that old hard spare getting it to break over the rim and bead seat. Suspicion is the last tire shop did as I used to, a heavy soapy water lube solution then as the old tire was dry rot checked and the calcium chloride had leached into the beads had just made for some nasty rust glue.

All good today so far, tire held 28# air all night, beads are fully seated so later today after a little semi-retired work will ballast it up.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 7:01am
Good Luck D. Sounds like you might have it. It took me 3x's so far to get my Bobcat tire to hold air longer than 3 days. Not a bead issue but a puncture relate. The typical plug repair kit available is not designed for tractor tires and the plug material is not the old reliable rubber plugs but a lightweight material that is not holding up. Have refused to convert tire from tubeless to a tube but may be forced to.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 8:04am
I EVEN own an old tubeless bead hammer, full 36" handle five pound head and it would not enter the slot rim to tire, hammered with both a long time finally gave in to hilift.
pinball View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 11:48am
The local guy here that sells tires and is very good told me he learned a trick for getting those old tires busted lose . he said its sort of dangerous but has never failed him yet. he pours some gasoline around the rim. lets it set for about 5 minutes then stands back and lights it and poof the tire will unseat from the rim. course I would want to be outside if I tried it. I can see how dangerous it could be and am not advocating this but I suspect if you just put a small amount at first I can see how it might work. might be a trial and error thing. for me though I just take it to him but that sure would beat the heck out of using that sledge. just my thought.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 3:13pm
With this great gasoline we have now if you wait five minutes it probably would light.
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by tadams(OH) tadams(OH) wrote:

With this great gasoline we have now if you wait five minutes it probably would light.

Like that fireproof paper and FUM (*) brand matches we get

(*)  F-in' Useless Matches
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by Dozer Dozer wrote:

The rebound laid me out on the garage floor

Dozer dozing Shocked
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic