This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

427435?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Jordan(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jordan(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 427435?
    Posted: 09 May 2015 at 8:04am
In Norm's book it states that AC was looking at two outside engine suppliers for tractors and combines if they were to continue in business.  I assume one was Komatsu since that was in the 8095.  What was the other one?
Sponsored Links

tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2015 at 11:04am
CUMMINS WAS ONE.   I saw a 7000 series with a 555 cummins in it on test - hold over from the 440's. They needed something that was higher hp and less money than a new AC engine budget wise. I am sure when AC let word out it was considering alt engines, just like a puppy dawg in heat , the sales men from every mfg was on the doorstep....
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
427435 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 427435 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2015 at 11:15am
Actually, I had contacted a several engine suppliers and gotten quotes from CAT, Cummins, Perkins, and Komatsu on engines to cover the 6000 through 4W-305 usage.

Cummins was probably the other one that Swinford was thinking about as they were very interested in gaining our business-----------although CAT was also.  CAT made several trips to West Allis and met with Roy Ulner on at least one occasion.

Komatsu had the most attractive pricing, but would only price in yen----not $$$.  However, the dollar was strong against the yen at that time.  Both they and we were concerned about that.  The exchange rate did indeed change a few years later and their price advantage would have been lost. 

At the original prices that Komatsu quoted (vs the transfer costs going to the Engine Division), the Tractor Division would have been profitable despite the low production rates we had in '83 and '84.

With the prices from CAT and Cummins, we would have been close to break-even and a heck of a lot better off than we were with the Harvey prices.
Mark

B10 Allis, 917 Allis, 7116 Simplicity, 7790 Simplicity Diesel,
GTH-L Simplicity

Ignorance is curable-----stupidity is not.
Mike Plotner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Plotner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2015 at 11:38am
pretty neat to learn stuff like that from the End Times. got any other interesting facts?
2001 Gleaner R42, 1978 7060, 1977 7000, 1966 190 XT, 1966 D-17 Series IV and 1952 WD and more keep my farm running!
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2015 at 1:33pm
What did a complete 301 or 426 diesel from Harvey cost ?

Edited by DougG - 09 May 2015 at 1:33pm
427435 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 427435 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2015 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by DougG DougG wrote:

What did a complete 301 or 426 diesel from Harvey cost ?

I don't remember the exact prices, but the transfer prices got determined annually between the general managers of the Tractor Division and Engine Division and Roy Ulner (president of the ag equipment group).  The price was supposedly based on $/hp based on what the general market was charging.  That of course, led to a lot of arguments discussions between the two division.

What I remember was that the Harvey prices were between $35-$37 per hp and the prices from Komatsu were around $26-$27 per hp and Cummins was around $30/ hp.  When you multiply around 3000 tractors x an average of around 110-120 hp by $5-10, it gets to be a very big number.
Mark

GTH-L Simplicity

AC 426 power View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC 426 power Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2015 at 4:38pm
427, I read somewhere that Allis and International Harvester had talks of merging but noting worked out because they were 2 nearly bankrupt company's any truth to this? Would have neat to have seen a IH 400 series engine behind a 8000 series style Allis with a powershift, were Allis lacked in engine technology IH excelled, and were IH lacked in transmission technology, Allis excelled in it, it would have been a marriage made in heaven right? LOL Too bad both were brokeCry
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2015 at 7:30pm
a "red" Allis? whew!
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2015 at 7:31pm
I guess it wouldn't be so bad....sure keep the crap away that I gits now!
427435 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 427435 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2015 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by AC 426 power AC 426 power wrote:

427, I read somewhere that Allis and International Harvester had talks of merging but noting worked out because they were 2 nearly bankrupt company's any truth to this? Would have neat to have seen a IH 400 series engine behind a 8000 series style Allis with a powershift, were Allis lacked in engine technology IH excelled, and were IH lacked in transmission technology, Allis excelled in it, it would have been a marriage made in heaven right? LOL Too bad both were brokeCry

The only place I've heard that is on the internet.  That doesn't say it couldn't have happened, but both had good tractors and combines and neither had the money to buy the other out.

I was involved on the periphery when Deutz came around.  I met with one of their engineers to look into how hard it would be to put a Deutz engine in an West Allis tractor while the higher ups meet separately.

Mark

GTH-L Simplicity

Big Orange View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Orange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2015 at 8:11pm
Its ironic that the old low tech AC 426  engine in the YOUNGBLOOD tractor was the points champ, 5 years in a row. HA HA !!!   
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC 426 power Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2015 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by 427435 427435 wrote:

The only place I've heard that is on the internet.  That doesn't say it couldn't have happened, but both had good tractors and combines and neither had the money to buy the other out.

I was involved on the periphery when Deutz came around.  I met with one of their engineers to look into how hard it would be to put a Deutz engine in an West Allis tractor while the higher ups meet separately.
  Yeah I believe I read it in Heritage Iron magazine thought it was interesting, but yeah you make a real good point. 

Edited by AC 426 power - 09 May 2015 at 8:42pm
Dgrader View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dgrader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2015 at 9:10pm
Mark, I've been driving an 8550 some this week and I was wondering about who designed the cab. The sideposts were put right in your line of sight. To see out you have to lean forward or back. Not complaining but it's a blind spot.
Ya cain't fix stupid.
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2015 at 9:22pm

Dgrader, I agree with you on the cabs. I could never warm up to the 7000 series cabs because of the size and the sightlines. 8000 series was a huge improvement. Same BS goes on every day with business between divisions of the same company. Waiting on the go ahead of a huge job for us while two divisions of the same huge privite company argue of how much they are going to charge each other. Both want to make their numbers the best for the owners. Meanwhile a lot of business is being lost.

Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
427435 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 427435 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2015 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by Dgrader Dgrader wrote:

Mark, I've been driving an 8550 some this week and I was wondering about who designed the cab. The sideposts were put right in your line of sight. To see out you have to lean forward or back. Not complaining but it's a blind spot.

That was a derivative of the 2WD cab-------------a cab that was done when I wasn't there.  Ermm

I still remember seeing the the 7000 series tractors for the first time (I was working at White Farm at the time).  I couldn't believe the phone booth cab and the difficulty of getting into that cab.

Now the 8000 Series cab, you can blame me for that.
Mark

GTH-L Simplicity

acd21man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acd21man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2015 at 10:16pm
427435 just what all did u do at AC? sounds like you had a dream job.
2 wd 45,2 D-17 diesel/gas 3 pt, 220,d21, 4020,2 4430s used daily http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCudh8Xz9_rZHhUC3YNozupw
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2015 at 10:54pm
Me thinks one of the culprits / heroes was Ernest Kritezburg . Ole Ernie..
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
427435 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 427435 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2015 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by acd21man acd21man wrote:

427435 just what all did u do at AC? sounds like you had a dream job.

I actually worked for them twice.  First stint was right out of college as a test engineer on farm implements at the Proving Grounds south of West Allis.  In late 1967, Allis decentralized all the engineering, and I ended up at the La Crosse works.  In 1969, they closed the La Crosse plant and wanted me to move to La Porte Indiana.  Rather than move so far away from family in Minnesota (and to get to working on tractors instead of implements), I went to work for Minny Mo in Hopkins, MN as a tractor test engineer.  Over the next 8 years, I went from tractor test engineer to project engineer for what became the White 4-150 and 4-180.  White moved out of Minnesota to a suburb of Chicago in 1976.  I looked around a bit and ended up in tractor engineering at West Allis.  Spent some time as a staff engineer for product safety and reliability and then became Tractor Design Engineering Manager in 1979.

I loved that position.  When Deutz started sniffing around in 1984 and with Allis tottering on bankruptcy, I moved on (and back to Minnesota).
Mark

GTH-L Simplicity

427435 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 427435 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2015 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by tbran tbran wrote:

Me thinks one of the culprits / heroes was Ernest Kritezburg . Ole Ernie..

Two comments on Ernie.  One, the cab on the 7000 Series wasn't his fault---------it was dictated by the head of engineering at that time.  He thought a small cab give better sight lines and would be quieter.  Two, when I became tractor design manager, Ernie became a test engineer.

Mark

GTH-L Simplicity

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC 426 power Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2015 at 11:22pm
427,Was it well known publicly that AC was going to fall by 1984? Or was it a shock to the ag market?
427435 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 427435 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2015 at 12:08am

427,Was it well known publicly that AC was going to fall by 1984? Or was it a shock to the ag market?

I don't know how well known it was to the general public.  Allis-Chalmers corporation was losing money and had been for quite a while-------------so it shouldn't have been a surprise.  I don't know when the average ag AC employee found out about Deutz buyout.  I didn't leak it to anyone when they first started visiting in early 1984, and I left in November of 1984.  I don't think the public announcement came until sometime in 1985.

If you were looking, you could see the hand writing on the wall, however.
Mark

GTH-L Simplicity

JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2015 at 12:19am
I think the handwriting was on the wall at several companies.  I remember reading that IHC was loosing over a million bucks a day!  They had just built a huge tractor plant and didn't have enough orders to run it efficiently.  I'm sure JD was sweating too but they had a fairly profitable construction equipment business plus building frames for motor homes.  They also had a lot more money in the bank then the other companies.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Dgrader View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dgrader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2015 at 4:08am
Mark I wasn't blamin you for the 8550 cab. A 400 lb.er struggle gettin in there. If ya got a woman in there she definitely couldn't get away. You did a good job on the 8000 series cab. Major improvement, no complaints there.
Ya cain't fix stupid.
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2015 at 7:59am
One time while visiting with Norm Swinford about the tractor company's having a hard time financial, and particularly JD. Norm said that, if you are a member of the family, and head of the family company, you try harder.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
AllisFreak MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisFreak MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2015 at 8:13am
427435, Did A-C farm out the actual production of the cab to Hiniker in Minnesota? I thought I read that somewhere.
'49 A-C WD, '51 A-C WD, '63 A-C D17 Series III, 1968 A-C One-Seventy, '82 A-C 6060, '75 A-C 7040, A-C #3 sickle mower, 2 A-C 701 wagons, '78 Gleaner M2
Seth Souerdike View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seth Souerdike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2015 at 8:16am
a red allis? i just puked a bit in my mouth...
There are no atheist in foxholes.

DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2015 at 8:41am
They made 4 for MF prolly RED, supposedly-
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC 426 power Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2015 at 8:53am
Rather red then nasty old Deutz green lol and maybe they would have not destroyed AC like Deutz
427435 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 427435 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2015 at 9:22am
Originally posted by AllisFreak MN AllisFreak MN wrote:

427435, Did A-C farm out the actual production of the cab to Hiniker in Minnesota? I thought I read that somewhere.

Both the 6000 and 8000 cabs were initially built in LaPorte.  When that plant was closed, the cabs were put out on bid.  A company in the Quad Cities got the 8000 cab and Crenlo in Rochester, MN got the 6000 cab..

As for Deutz, karma caught up with them.  They lost so much money with the Deutz-Allis mismanagement that they eventually had to sell out to Same.  Clap
Mark

GTH-L Simplicity

darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2015 at 9:57am
There is no doubt that the 8000 series cab is second to none, but I kind of like my 7000 series cabs, too. Darrel
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic