This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The most popular Allis Chalmers tractor ever.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-WAG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The most popular Allis Chalmers tractor ever.
    Posted: 22 Jan 2010 at 4:45pm
All of you AC fanatics have to have an opinion on the most useful AC tractor ever, i want your opinion then i want you to tell why that is!

Since i asked, i think the most useful tractor AC ever made would have to be a tie between the C and the WD or WD45. I think this because, First i liked the C because it was a handy tractor to have around on the farm. The WD and WD45 because they were the inovators in my mind. They were AC's answer to the Farmall M and the John Deere A.
Sponsored Links

omahagreg View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omahagreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2010 at 4:48pm
I have not been around either, but Dad always says he thinks the 1958ish d17 diesel they had was better than their later d19 diesel. 
Greg Kroeker
1950 WD with wide front and Freeman trip loader
J-WAG View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-WAG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2010 at 4:57pm
Thanks Greg, yea my grandfather had a D 17 series 4 with the 3 point hitch.i dont really know what year though!! it was a good workhorse!
ToddSin NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ToddSin NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2010 at 5:22pm
I've always liked dads WD45! Plenty of power and the wet clutchis handy to plow snow our fill in tile ditches! Put your left foot down over the rear and use the hand clutch to keep the pump rolling to lift and lower the plow and you can go all day.......if your arms can stand it!! LOL!!
Steve-Ohio View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve-Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2010 at 5:25pm
No doubt it was the Alllis Chalmers WD-45.  Tons of power, snap coupler, hand clutch, power booster, spin outs.  Great combination.
Andy in Central IA View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy in Central IA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2010 at 5:31pm
I'll vote for the WD45.  Did not have experience wit many of them though.  Just WC's, WD's, C's and WD45's.
Andy Central IA
PBSoMd View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PBSoMd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2010 at 5:44pm
I like them all, but out of the 20 some I have I use the 6080  to do the work. Could have something to do with the cab, air and heat. We farmed  50 ac for a lot of years raising tobacco and small grain with just a CA. It was a pretty good all around tractor.
Chris (swIA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris (swIA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2010 at 6:06pm
I love my WD and you can't beat the power of a D17. I guess if I had a WD-45 it would be the best of both worlds.
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2010 at 6:34pm
Boy O boy, This will go on and on. LOL
My vote will be for the best tractor built. The WD-45.........
Pound per HP the WD45 is it. 
Come on boys tell it like it is. lol
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

Dave (NE) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2010 at 6:36pm
Two of them; WD45 and D17 IV Diesel with factory three point.  I have both.
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2010 at 7:28pm
I have 2 that are pretty handy. The CA and a 58 D17D. Trying to decide which A-C is best is pretty tough. About the only one with a not so great reputation would be the ED-40.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2010 at 8:03pm
If you want as the title of the thread says the most popular Allis Chalmers Tractor ever it would be the WC.  I believe that is the largest production run of any Allis Chalmers tractor. 
However, I firmly believe there were three units that MADE ALLIS CHALMERS in the farm equipment industry - one not a tractor - the WC, the B, and the 60 All Crop Harvestor.
Before these three units were introduced Allis Chalmers was just a manfacturing compnay.  These units drove Allis Chalmers to the position of a major farm equipment manfacturer in the United States.
I don't know if this answers your question but these are my firm feelings.
Good Luck!
Bill Long
Eldon (WA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldon (WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2010 at 8:14pm
Well I like the WD45 and the WD45D and the D17......but the tractor that makes money for me is the 175D.  It might not be the most popular as far as numbers, but once you use one it is hard to go back to a D17, let alone a WD45.....
ALLIS EXPRESS!
This year:
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2010 at 9:38pm
I have to agree with Bill Long as the answer to the originial question. Some of the most usefull for me are the D-15 II with 3 pt, D-17 IV diesel 3pt., and the D-21 series II. The D-12 III with 3 pt and the H-3 are very usefull as well and they all get used.
acd21man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acd21man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2010 at 9:47pm

i like our tractors D17 diesel 3 pt, D21 220 and the wd45

gary ny View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gary ny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2010 at 10:00pm
I personally think the wd45 is one of the most versitile tractors ever made ,It was small to get into tight spots ,light to go over wet spots and had good power to do anything it was asked to do and more.
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2010 at 10:52pm
I like the ORANGE ones.
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
Leonard View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2010 at 2:32am
I' with you Pat.  Although I use a nd love the WD-45.

Leonard
morton(pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morton(pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2010 at 6:47am
J-WAG, ACTUALLY, you have it wrong. The M and the L/LA were the answers to the B/C tractor. The M came out in 47 and the L/LA came out around 1940 or 41 I think. Allis was ahead of the game against all their competition with the B and the C. The B was far more popular then the C. The C only sold less then 2/3rds of the total number of B's sold. 

That being said, I'd have to say the B. It revolutionized the way the small farmer farmed. It was more economical then a team of horses and replaced many, many teams on the farm and bought the industrial age to countless farms. Since tractors cost less money to maintain then horses farmers were able to get higher profits. There was not near as much back breaking work either.
Jeff-in-Kunkletown View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff-in-Kunkletown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2010 at 6:54am
I'll vote for the wd-45
dannyraddatz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dannyraddatz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2010 at 7:28am
I do like my 1954 WD45, I think the power and package size are a good fit. I agree with the spin outs and hand clutch comments too.
Danny Raddatz
Mark(MO) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2010 at 7:50am
I wouldn't disagree with any of the prevoius opinions. I am surprised though, that no one thinks the 190 XT was one of the greatest. When I think JD I think 4020, when I think of Allis I think 190 XT. Might just be a generational thing though. I know it had its problems.
Roger A. NY View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger A. NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2010 at 8:05am
I would have to vote for the WD45 followed closely by the D17.  Just from my personal experience.  The B probably did more to get farmers into mechanized farming, but not MY favorite!  Roger
cwhit View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cwhit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2010 at 8:09am
D-17 IV. If it would have had live pto, it would have been perfect..
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2010 at 8:24am
The most popular? I'm wit' Bill on that. The WC, with the B close behind. But, I think the WC set the ground work for its cousin the WD45, and that's where I think the word "useful" fits in quite well. I personally don't own a WD45 because I don't have a use for it on my little acreage, but from all the reading I've done on the 45' over the years, it was one versatile tractor for its time, and that, like the WC, set the ground work for the rest of the AC line down the road........
Steve@B&B
Bruce Mn. View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce Mn. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2010 at 8:49am
I grew up on a WC & C,  they were the greatest. Later I got a wd45 , great tractor. a couple years ago I finally up graded into newer tractors ,a D14 & D17. they  definitly have advantages and tend to grow on you.
Ken(Bell.Wa) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken(Bell.Wa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2010 at 10:47am
Of the 25 plus we have the most useful are 160, 6060, 7060, D17 series 4. Have a great day, Ken
RMD View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2010 at 10:56am
Most popular and most useful are not the same thing.  Certainly the B. WC, WD45 and/or D-17 were the most popular for their times.  None of them can match later models with independent hydraulics, independent PTO, differential locks, more gear ranges and even font wheel assist for usefulness. 
AllisFreak MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisFreak MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2010 at 11:05am
I'd say the 6060. It's nimble, excellent on fuel, good power out of the 4 cylinder turbo diesel, small enough to be considered a utility tractor and big enough to be the main tractor on some farms. The factory cab is nice with air, heat and am/fm. Also has true live pto and hydraulics and spin out rims and power adjust front axle.
'49 A-C WD, '51 A-C WD, '63 A-C D17 Series III, 1968 A-C One-Seventy, '82 A-C 6060, '75 A-C 7040, A-C #3 sickle mower, 2 A-C 701 wagons, '78 Gleaner M2
AllisFreak MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisFreak MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2010 at 11:15am
To clarify my statement, I consider the 6060 the most useful, not the most popular.
'49 A-C WD, '51 A-C WD, '63 A-C D17 Series III, 1968 A-C One-Seventy, '82 A-C 6060, '75 A-C 7040, A-C #3 sickle mower, 2 A-C 701 wagons, '78 Gleaner M2
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic